• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What constitutes an open world in Zelda?

which of these are "open world games"?

• ocarina of time

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • breath of the wild

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • wind waker

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • a Link between worlds

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Zelda 1

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • skyward sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight princess

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • triforce heroes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
This poll is meant to help disambiguate what people mean when they say "open world". The general concept is pretty simple of course, but it can get nuanced, especially if you consider a difference between simply open world and an open world game. So, vote for what games you consider to be open world, then maybe comment and elaborate on which games contain open worlds without being open world games, or whatever you feel is important to the distinction of open world

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd call Breath of the Wild the only truly open world in Zelda, with some honorable mentions given to stuff like LoZ 1 and Wind Waker. There's a lot less gatekeeping in BotW than there is in pretty much any other Zelda game, which is the big thing I associate with open world games.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
An open world game can be a variety of things, but I'd say that what usually defines the open world style is a world that can be freely explored at the player's pace as well as one that does not rely heavily on a specific level of structure for progression.

By those standards, Breath of the Wild and Zelda 1 are both open world. BotW is definitely a bit freer with a hell of a lot more to explore, but both games are undoubtedly open-ended.

The other games either have too strong a sense of structure or a sufficiently restricted overworld to count as such in my mind.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
All of the listed games except for SS and TFH.

Both of those games heavily rely on strictly linear level design for the majority of the game, and while SS does have aspects of an open world game in its overworld, its separated from what is the larger portion of the game.

Zelda in general has always been a mixture of the two styles, but once you remove the dungeons they’re as open world as it gets. Its like how the caves in Skyrim have a very clear linear path to take, but far more lengthy. You still have a linear story progression in most open world games, so its not like having a specific dungeon order changes that.

Even TP, as segmented and restrictive as it is at first, is still definitely an open world game as its still a single world that doesn’t specifically rely on you moving in a set path to get from point A to point B.

Last edited:
BOTW is very open and the world has a ton of side content

Zelda 1 and ALBW are a bit more linear then BOTW are still non linear and have an open world

Wind Waker has a big ocean that's very open and explorable but it limits where you can go earlier on in the game and the main quest in pretty linear

Ocarina of Time also has a decently sized world with some side content and a somewhat open world to explore although the main quests are linear. Majora's Mask is also the same but with more side content.

Twilight Princess is very linear in the beginning but once you get past the first 10 hours or so the world opens up and theirs some side content

Skyward Sword is extremely linear and the land has basically no exploration and the sky is huge but has like very few content except for Skyloft

I haven't played Triforce Heroes

I would say all of them except Skyward Sword

MW7

I would consider LoZ and BotW to both be open world. Other games have elements of an open world as well.

To place them on a continuum with 10 being most open and 1 being a side scrolling game, here's my thoughts. I haven't played Triforce Heroes so I have no thoughts on that.

10 - BoTW - There's very little the game blocks off. The player is restricted to the Great Plateau at first but not for very long and the Great Plateau itself is very open.

9 - LoZ - There are a few things you can't do right away, but almost nothing feels like an arbitrary barrier to me. You are limited by what items you have, but even most of the overworld can be traversed immediately without most items.

7 - A Link Between Worlds - I think this game strikes the best balance in the series between open world and not being open world. You are playing through a set narrative structure, but things don't need to be done in a certain order if there isn't a narrative need for them to be in a certain order. I like the structure of doing a set number of dungeons to unlock another portion of the game which then also has dungeons that don't have a strict order. The handling of items was great in my opinion with tools being given to the player to make decisions about how to play and what to prioritize.

5 - Ocarina of Time - This game gives the player quite a few options about what to do when they choose to do so, but there are some places blocked off for little reason (the rocks blocking Zora's River are pretty pointless for example). What sets this above all the games after it for me is that you can do several of the dungeons in any order even with the most strict definition of glitchless possible. Once you are adult Link, you can do the Forest Temple, Fire Temple, or Ice Cavern in any order. You can finish the Spirit Temple before entering the Fire Temple or finishing the Water Temple. You can skip the Bottom of the Well entirely because the handful of things "requiring" the Lens of Truth are very easy to do without it with a little memorization. The game lets you do a lot of stuff whenever you want. The weirdest challenge I have done is earn the Gerudo Membership Pass before the hookshot (use Epona to reach Gerudo Fortress and be super careful to avoid the guards without a way to stun them).

4 - Wind Waker - The ocean is really awesome and open, but you can't go anywhere you want until after the second dungeon. Once the game does open up, there are so many options and cool things to do. The thing that holds this back for me is the unnecessary forcing players to do the dungeons in a certain order. To be clear this doesn't bother me if there's a good reason for the story. However, the two sage dungeons are set up in the story like you could do them in either order, but you are forced to do the Earth Temple before the Wind Temple. That single design decision bothers me so much. It's insanely frustrating to play through the game once, notice that these should be able to be done in either order, trying it and being prevented, and then researching for hours to figure out if you are just crazy or the game was designed in a way that makes no sense. Also as a preventative measure, if you think you remember being able to do it in either order, I'm pretty sure you're misremembering the game. I've played my North American gamecube version and Wii U remake version, and you absolutely cannot do those dungeons in either order in my copies of the game (Makar never appears in the area you find him until the Earth Temple is complete). However, the side content is very open once you get into the mid to late game so I appreciate that.

3 - Skyward Sword - This game had hints of an open world but mostly was sending you in specific directions the whole game. The sky is open, but there's just some side content to do up there. The ground areas are open once you go through them once, but you do have to do them in a specific order to open them up. This game definitely could have given the player more options in the second half of the game without impacting the story at all. With just a couple minor tweaks to the puzzles such as removing a whip bar in the Sandship, you easily could have been able to do the Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and Fire Sanctuary in any order. I really don't like when games introduce "get three things" but then only let you do them in a set order. One nice thing is that you can do the song of the hero in any order. I don't know why they didn't do the same for the corresponding dungeons in those three regions.

3 - Twilight Princess - This has the same complaints I have about Skyward Sword, but I feel like there is more of a narrative reason for linear dungeon progression in this game. You don't know what you'll need to collect when you go into the desert and the whole City in the Sky episode kind of needs to be done when it happens in the story. However, with some work, the second half of this game could have been more open. The overworld is not very open when you first go through the world, but once you are in the mid to late game, it lets you do quite a lot of things. The hidden caves are very cool and feel great for exploration. More games should have things like that.

Overall I think my ideal Zelda game in terms of open world has the classic structure but gives the player more freedom than it typically has. I feel BotW took things a little too far by removing some classic Zelda items, and the dungeons need to come back to the quality we're used to in the other 3d games. If Nintendo makes an original 3d game with the same design philosophy of A Link Between Worlds, I think that would be my favorite game in the series.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Zelda games are mostly open world it's just the earlier ones were limited by technology and required loading screens between areas for instance between Hyrule field and market town. Without these loading screens they would be unquestionably open world and even BoTW's dungeons are loaded separately to the main overworld. Vah Medoh that you see floating in the sky isn't even the real dungeon and you clip right through it if you octobaloon yourself up there. It's all about creating the illusion.

Skyward Sword is very segmented and I would say definitely not open world but OOT, MM, TP, WW are but they just aren't as seamless as newer titles.

The continuum thing is smart: I'm going to do it with all the games.

Least Open World
0 -- FS, TFH
1 -- FSA
2 -- ST
3 -- SS
4 -- OoA, MC, Z2, MM
5 -- LA
6 -- PH, TP
7 -- OoT, ALttP, OoS
8 -- WW
9 -- Z1, ALBW
10 -- BotW
Most Open World

For this poll, I'm counting 8 and above as open world.

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
The continuum thing is smart: I'm going to do it with all the games.

Least Open World
0 -- FS, TFH
1 -- FSA
2 -- ST
3 -- SS
4 -- OoA, MC, Z2, MM
5 -- OoT, ALttP, OoS, LA
6 -- PH
7 -- TP
8 -- WW
9 -- Z1, ALBW
10 -- BotW
Most Open World

For this poll, I'm counting 8 and above as open world.
How would you make LBW an 9 but the objectively more open LttP is a 5?

How would you make LBW an 9 but the objectively more open LttP is a 5?
Cuz the open item, do whatever dungeon in whatever order style is more open world than the "If you know how, you can do Thieves' Town b4 Skull Woods." I guess this is more of a game-feel thing. I might move ALttP, OoS and OoT up a few.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Cuz the open item, do whatever dungeon in whatever order style is more open world than the "If you know how, you can do Thieves' Town b4 Skull Woods." I guess this is more of a game-feel thing. I might move ALttP, OoS and OoT up a few.
I definitely wouldn’t call a non-set order of dungeons something that constitutes as inherently open world like. I mean, the vast majority of open world games out there have a very strict order you have to do things in. Elder Scrolls in particular is what comes to mind.

Id say that LttP, OoT, and MM are all far more open than LBW because of how free you are to traverse the world. Its one thing to lock off certain sections until later like those games do, it’s another thing entirely to segment an entire half of your games world into pieces that you cant travel between without going into the overworld first. Id say that LBW is nearly as restricted as SS in that sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom