• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Console to Buy?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
So with in a few weeks here or so, I'll be looking at buying a new console.

I'm considering 3DS, or 3DS XL
Or a Wii/ WiiU.

If I decide to go with a 3DS , I could play the upcoming Alttp2, Pokemon X, Yoshi's Ilsand remake thats coming up, OoT 3D, Donkey Kong Returns and a fair handful of other DS games/ 3ds games such as Sonic Rush 1/2 and virtual remakes of Links Awakening and Super Mario land 2

My current DS is a DS lite, and its showing its age, recently the hinge on it broke, its still playable and what not, it just doesn't snap into place on the right side (left side still does).

Now looking at the 3ds XL, I like the fact the stylist is on the side and the 3d slider has that actual snap when its turned to off. Though I currently use a DS lite and I do like its small size, because it fits in my pocket and I can easily take it places with me, and its not so big its uncomfortable with my wallet/ phone/ keys. The XL might just be too big for me, but it does have improved battery life and most of the time I'd play it, i'd be at home anyways.

----------------------------

Or I might pick up a used Wii or new Wii U.

There is something to be said about having an expired console, for one games are cheaper, and so is the console. But to be honest there aren't alot of games for the Wii I really want. Now i want Skyward Sword, and maybe SM Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, maybe a few of the sonic games that were Wii only, and um, thats about it...

I run into a similar pondery when i consider the Wii U. I mean there are a handful of Wii games I would want, but i'm not sure there are enough to merit buying the system. As far as actual Wii U games? Rayman looks fun. I'm just not sure there is enough that I want so far on the console.

Now the Wii U does offer a bit downloadable selection of classic games then the 3ds, so there is that. I won't be able to afford both a Wii U and a 3ds.

Are there some titles i'm not aware of the Wii U that would make it worth buying now for some one like me? (Given the types of games i've listed)

So thats basicly what i'm considering. It would be nice to have the Wii U to catch up on the main console zelda games and be able to play the Wii U zelda when it eventually comes, but I don't know if there is enough else on the console for me to make it seam worth the money to me. But i know for sure I wanna be able to play pokemon X when it comes out, as well as a handful of other DS titles.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, with the Wii or Wii U debate, definitely get the Wii U; it can play everything the Wii has and you'll be getting a stream of new content all the time. Lots of games have been announced but, without even being told we can expect all the Nintendo exclusives; a Mario Galaxy-esque game, a Zelda game, Smash Bros, Mario Kart. So without any announcements, the Wii U has got a decent future line-up. There's not much point getting a Wii unless you go for that 'Mini' version that was released which retailed for under $100, having no Gamecube backwards compatibility and the like.

That said, if you can wait, I'd wait a little bit. Next-generation is coming out, and we'll be seeing the PS4 and the Nextbox before the end of the year and all they offer, as well as E3 in June. So then you can pick exactly which next-gen console to get, or get first if you're like me and slowly catch up with them all. May as well see your options since one of them right really captivate you. Never know!

3DS against the XL, just personal preference. I'd still say XL though for one reason; circle pad pro. It'll make the original 3DS big and cumbersome anyway, so, if you're getting a bigger handheld, may as well go the extra mile and get bigger screens and all that the XL offers. :P And as you said, you mostly play it at home, so, in the long-term of things the XL will probably win out. And it's not exactly bad to carry around too.

Lewmonkaizer

luminouskaiser
Wait, just a stupid question, can you play Wii games on the Wii U? I feel like i just asked the a very stupid question, but i'm curious

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Wait, just a stupid question, can you play Wii games on the Wii U? I feel like i just asked the a very stupid question, but i'm curious

Yes, you can. They are buffed in quality when played with HDMI, also. Try playing some Metroid Prime Trilogy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl and be blown away.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
On the Wii/Wii U side of things I'd agree with what's been said and say you may as well go in for the Wii U. It's more expensive than a Wii, sure, but it plays ever Wii game and supports all of the Wii peripherals like the Balance Board. So buying a Wii U means you are essentially buying a Wii but also getting the ability to play the next generation of Nintendo exclusives along with it.

As for the 3DS/3DS XL side of things, it really only depends on whether you prefer a big handheld or a small handheld. Mercedes mentioned the Circle Pad pro and how it makes the 3DS bulky anyway so you may as well get an XL, but the XL only has one circle pad itself and requires the Circle Pad Pro XL, making that even bulkier too. So in the end the accessory doesn't really make too big of a difference because it makes either model bigger. I own a 3DS and have only played an XL in shops but the increased screen size is nice and doesn't impact on the graphics much. I wouldn't say the XL is necessary but some people complain that the standard model is too small and hurts their hands a little after prolonged use. I'd recommend trying both models out to see which one suits your hands best and making a decision based off of that, because there really is no difference besides size.

When it comes to choosing handheld or console then I'd say the decision should largely be based on games. Right now, the 3DS library is far, far superior to the Wii and Wii U's. Not only can the 3DS play any and all DS games, it has a robust selection of original titles of its own. Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Resident Evil: Revelations, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Paper Mario Sticker Star and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D are all excellent games and this year the 3DS will also get a new Zelda game, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies and Yoshi's Island 3D (which, incidentally, is a sequel and not a remake) besides many others which I am too lazy to list. The Wii U library will grow in time and sport many games worth buying the console for but right now it doesn't have those while the 3DS has them in abundance.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One bit if you try to get a Wii U: make sure that you also have a Wii Classic Controller (Pro) on hand or you may be disappointed with a prestigious fighter like Super Smash Bros Brawl (I know I was/am). Because there are no gamecube controller portson the Wii U, you cannot use the Gamecube controller with the Wii U but most games offer alternatives to this by allowing the use of the CCP which for all intents and purposes IS a GameCube controller...or at least very similar to it. From what I know, it isn't very expensive (around $20USD last I checked), so check it out when looking for a Wii U.

One bit if you try to get a used Wii: make sure you're getting the VERTICAL Wii, NOT the horizontal one. The Wii is not a current system but it is definitely capable of playing many great GameCube games PROVIDED that it is the vertical (backwards compatible) variant. In other words, there's a "Wii Slim" and a "Wii Vanilla" out there - make sure you ask your store to get you the correct one.

Regarding the 3DS/3DS XL, are you interested in video capture? If so, grab the vanilla 3DS. It's the only one which has capture boards made for it and, although that's an expensive venture in itself ($255USD + tax), it is WAY worth it. Fitting in your pocket for Streetpass is a plus as well.

If you're not interested in video capture, the 3DS XL is superior as far as visuals go (huge screens = glorious 3D). I don't like the feel of the XL though - it feels like cheap plastic and hard rubber - but others do so yeah.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Get a Xbox360! ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN A WIU! YOU CAN PLAY CALL OF DUTY 4 ON IT, COD 5, COD 6, 7, 8, BATTLEFIELD 3. ITS GOT THE BEST GRAPHICS EVER, BETTER THAN THE 3DS XL FOR SURE. AND YOU CAN PLAY ONLINE (BUT IT COSTS MONEY SO THATS WHY YOU KNOW ITS GOOD)!

Get a WiiU, Ez makes a great point about it, or the 3DS XL. Label out the pros and cons (and games) for each and go with what you think will make you happier (and keep you happy) in the long run :)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm gonna assume you're a conossuier of Nintendo games. You want a 3DS. Its has the widest variety of great games. I can't fathom how many amazing games have been released in the last year, and many more are on the way. The Wii U will take a while to get off the ground, so hold out for better times.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd say get the Wii...far cheaper, far more games, and, most importantly, Gamecube BC and lets you use the GC control.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd say get the Wii...far cheaper, far more games, and, most importantly, Gamecube BC and lets you use the GC control.

Let's see... A BC Wii is around $100. Then you'd want Wii U games, and a Wii U is around $300 give or take a price increase/drop. By comparison, you could get a Wii U ($300 or $350) for Wii U and Wii games, then get a GameCube ($30). Which one is cheaper again? Bam.

I know this from experience. I have a Deluxe Wii U (it sucks), SSBBrawl, and a GameCube of my own. It's better to go Wii U + GC if you're even looking for a GameCube.

Even in spite of that, I'd recommend you grab a 3DS because it has way more GOOD games available than any of the other options.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'm not overly concerned by gamecube games, I have 2 game cubes already, 3 if you count dolphin.

The more I look at it, the more i'm leaning to the 3ds or XL, a used wii at gamestop is only 80 bucks, so thats not so bad, but a Wii U is like 270, then i'd need to buy a 50 dollar game with it, and then the classic controller for the eshop games I'd want to play. A wii would let me pick up a handful of used games for the same price as a new Wii U or 3ds system all together.

But the 3ds just has so many good games out and more coming, I mean I really wanna play X and Y when they come, so I'd probably end up buying a 3ds later on anyways. But I do want to eventually play thru skyward sword, and sonic colors.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But I do want to eventually play thru skyward sword, and sonic colors.

You mentioned Dolphin so the Wii is really out of the question; chances are if you can play GC games on DOlphin then you can do the same with Wii games. :I

I still stand that if you should get a home console, get the Wii U.

But overall the 3DS is the better choice as of now.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
You mentioned Dolphin so the Wii is really out of the question; chances are if you can play GC games on DOlphin then you can do the same with Wii games. :I

I still stand that if you should get a home console, get the Wii U.

But overall the 3DS is the better choice as of now.

Well i suppose if i really wanted to, i could pick up a copy of SS and wii mote, and a blue tooth transceiver. It would be about the same as buying a Wii, and not entirely piracy because nintendo would still get money for their sold controller/ game. Its not like they'd get money if i bought a used Wii anyways, so what difference does it make if I use my own computer.

I've browsed thru game libraries for the wii/ wii U, i gota say wow the wii U has Rayman and Mario only. Its bad when Nintendo themselves tries to pad out the library by claiming virtual console games as official titles for the system.

edit:

Actually at best buy right now there are pink 3ds XL's that are 20 bucks cheaper then the other XL's. I could use that 20 bucks to go towards a game , or some paint , or just man up to having a pink 3ds.

I think i'm just going to get the 3ds or XL, I'll wait a few months before I took a look at the wii again.

Ok so If i buy the Pink XL, any suggestions for a paint job thats easy enough to do?

Last edited:

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
New owner of a 3DS here. After handling the 3DS XL yesterday, I suggest you choose that.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
So I went to gamestop to try out a 3ds XL, and the 3D on that thing is kinda disorienting and you can't move at all or it screws up.

But ya I've pretty much settled on the 3dx vs the Wii U, no offense Nintendo, but unless you actually release some games I won't buy it. I honestly want to see the Wii U fail so nintendo will put out a real console again like they used to. But if its going to succeed and have real games, I could get into it, but so far its no games and just a huge gimmick. The virtual console has some great retro choices, or I could just play the originals and save myself the money. Alot of the games that aren't virtual console are already on the 360/ps3, just rehashed slightly.

The wii U controller has to have its own separate charging station, has bad battery life. Sure its better then a ps3/ 360 in terms of power by a little bit, but when the ps4 and durango come out, it's going to be dwarfed again, which means 3rd party developers aren't going to want to bother. The more I think about it, its going to have to be a wait and see with the Wii U, its just not worth it right now in my opinion.

Now the debate is back to the XL or normal 3DS and where can i find the best price, if no one around town can beat the 20 dollar cheaper pink XL that best buy has by the time I get paid next week... I think I might get it. Gamestop wants to charge 200 for a new XL.

Actually as i write this I rechecked best buys site and the cheaper pink XL is no longer listed... So, hm where to get the best deal. Gamestop totally rips you off, its like 10 dollars difference between new and used, so whats the point buying used?

edit:

Walmart has a bundle one cheaper

Nintendo 3DS Pink w/ Crosswords and Accessories - Walmart.com
Hmm again with the pink...

more edit: infact why is it cheaper then a PINK XL on its own?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom