• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD What changes could Skyward Sword HD make?

Skyward Sword HD

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
As some of you may know, I'm playing through the entire series in timeline order, starting with skyward sword of course. Normally when I'm analyzing games I'm thinking "how well do they do this?" But with the knowledge of the remake coming up I've been thinking, "how could they do this better?" And there are lots of things they could do to improve the game. For example, dialogue could move faster and be cut down. Fi has the fastest scrolling dialogue in the game. Additionally, they could alter some cutscenes to take place in the overworld with text boxes appearing on the screen while not stalling gameplay. What are some changes you think SSHD could stand to use?

Disclaimer: mikey the Moblin and other users in this thread are in no way responsible for unmanaged expectations.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Aside from the usual quality of life we get from taking away unnecessary textboxes and cutscenes like previous games did, there are two main things I’d like to see in the remake.

First off, I want to have pathways between the 3 regions, opening up the game and making the world feel like, well a world. Second, the later dungeons need to be completable in any order. It doesn’t have to be completely different, just guide the player to the dungeons in a set order while allowing an experienced player to break sequence, the way OoT and LttP did. These 2 things are incredibly simple fixes, and would do wonders to fix the biggest problem people have with this game.

Of course the other thing that would be nice is a more fleshed out overworld, though I don’t think that the amount of content is the issue, but rather the amount of NPCs. The Sky doesn’t feel like a lived in place, it feels like a tiny village that eats nothing but pumpkins despite having a major college in it (so... Clemson, South Carolina). If there were multiple separate towns in the sky I could feasibly see this, but there aren’t. The only other island with a settlement is just a restaurant 2 miles away.

I really doubt that this last point will change at all, but I really do think that we have a chance at getting the other things I outlined.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm not expecting a lot to change, honestly. Faster text scrolling, and maybe some additional side content if we are lucky.

The changes I'd want to be made would make this a reboot, not a remake. I'd want the surface to be connected by a proper overworld like I hoped it would be back in 2010. I'd want there to be a lot more appeal to the Sky, making islands full of unique interactions with NPCs, or having side content. I'd also do some rewrites for the story, particularly with the character developments of Fi and Groose, which I feel could have been executed better.

Mikey the Moblin

Personally connections on the surface would be neat to me but I don't feel it's as necessary as some do?
Having more towns in the sky would actually be killer and that's a good idea.

What didn't you like about Fi and Groose development, SMS?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
For me, I would love for them to open up the world maps a little more once you complete them. Kind of like in Majora's Mask, when you complete a dungeon and the area can then be more easily explored. The outside portions of SS are basically a dungeon in and of themselves, so having to re explore them the long way can prove a little tedious.

Mikey the Moblin

For me, I would love for them to open up the world maps a little more once you complete them. Kind of like in Majora's Mask, when you complete a dungeon and the area can then be more easily explored. The outside portions of SS are basically a dungeon in and of themselves, so having to re explore them the long way can prove a little tedious.
That would be interesting. But what would be the purpose of it?

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
Since everybody seems to be in the know of Skyward Sword HD's addition of having the option of having non-motion control gameplay compatibility. I thought my changes would be handy as it is timesaving in some places: It is basically the idea of having the concept of having the motion controls to be quickly switched off or on in the pause menu without having to exit the game and go back to the main menu of the game and go into the game settings to turn the motion controls on or off. My second change also follows in the custom controls contour: It is a feature that basically allows the player to pick and choose which aspect of the gameplay mechanics work best for the player as motion controlled or not motion controlled. Examples include: Controlling of the flight of the Loftwing and or the Beetle, Aiming Ranged Items in or outside of combat, motion of the sword when attacking, motion of Link, Adjusting the trajectory of the rolling bomb when "bomb bowling" etc.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm not expecting anything. Other than the control scheme and the updated resolution, I'd maybe expect something like token amiibo support.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
That would be interesting. But what would be the purpose of it?
If the landscape slightly changed after clearing the area, it would make it way easier to navigate it. You wouldn't have to go through the mega annoying dungeon-esque difficulty of the outside world every time you were trying to explore.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If the landscape slightly changed after clearing the area, it would make it way easier to navigate it. You wouldn't have to go through the mega annoying dungeon-esque difficulty of the outside world every time you were trying to explore.
That's essentially what opening up the shortcuts does for you, though. There's a lot of paths you can create access to as you explore that make retreading those areas faster and easier.

Mikey the Moblin

A big design point of skyward sword is that you're revisiting these areas with different contexts each time, so changing the areas to make them not "dungeons" on revisits would kind of strip content from the game
I wonder what a reboot like sms suggested would look like with these kinds of changes, though...

I think it would be nice if the sword drawl isn't so touchy! A lot of the time when I go to throw bombs it logs as a sword draw and I end up blowing myself up! So maybe just making the controls less sensitive!
That one part where you have to roll the bomb across that bridge in Eldin is always a pain for me!

Mikey the Moblin

I think it would be nice if the sword drawl isn't so touchy! A lot of the time when I go to throw bombs it logs as a sword draw and I end up blowing myself up! So maybe just making the controls less sensitive!
That one part where you have to roll the bomb across that bridge in Eldin is always a pain for me!
Funny you bring that up, I just got through that part today. I think the main problem I've had with it is the electric chuchus, as you wildly flail the wii remote around and knock them off it registers a sword swing and you hit them as they're electrocuting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom