• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Came First? The Chicken or the Egg?

Chicken or the Egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I am a Christian as well, and I don't think the egg came first. It says that "He created the birds", not their eggs. The chicken makes more since to me. Plus the whole idea is circular reasoning. You need the egg to hatch into the chicken, but you need the chicken to lay the egg, but you need to egg to hatch into the chicken.... On and on and on.

Being the young earth creationist I am, I believe the chicken came first. If you use the Bible as your source of history, the book of Genesis clearly states the God created all creatures first. Not eggs, or embrios, or whatever you want to call them. Thats just my point of view.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Well Pandy, I'm a christian as well. But I belive that a male a female chicken were created.
Then they both would breed and and have an egg. So yeah....chicken came first....two chicken.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Since chickens evolved from reptiles, a CHICKEN egg has to come from a chicken. Regular eggs would be before the chicken though. I am also Christian, so I believe in the creation of chickens.

The question is something of a false dichotomy.

The chicken would come first, insofar that it evolved from a previous egg-laying species, and the first chickens were probably more an intermediary species between 'modern' chickens and what came before them. A better question would be "what species did Chickens evolve from?".

Hanyou said:
Which brings up questions of its own. Is there a clear generational line between one species and another? Evolution is such a gradual process that the "line" could fall anywhere.
Species is usually determined by two members of that group being able to successfully mate and produce fertile off-spring that could further produce more of that species. That is, if two organisms cannot produce another organism that is fertile, then they are considered different species.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
From a scientific stance, it would be logical to say that the egg came first, as without the egg the chicken would not be in existence.

Many scientists belive that the chicken egg as we know it, and the chicken itself has changed over a period of thousands of years.
The genetic make-up of the chicken is quite similar to that of the Tyranassaurus Rex, implying that the chicken is a direct descendent. The T-Rex laid much larger eggs, and as it evolved into the chicken as we know it today, the eggs eventually became smaller.

But in all truth, the above statement is a simple theory, but it is quite true that the chicken evolved from a larger animal with larger eggs. This could have been another bird or a giant lizard.

Every animal started as an embryo, which mutates and grows overtime to form an animal of sorts. These animals grew reproductive organs, and eventually gave birth to young in egg form or live young as in the case of mammals.

So the argument cannot be settled simply, as many religious people will present a religious argument, while scientifically minded people will give a scientific argument.

Seeing as it is almost impossible to settle, i'm going to say that the egg came first, as without the egg, the chicken would not come into question. But without the chicken, (or descendent animal) the egg would not be in place...

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
The single-celled organism which then developed through the centuries. Of course if I hold an egg in my hand and speak of that egg then the chicken came first and vice-versa.

Or I could be a Sonic nerd and repeat the quote from the game which should never be mentioned, "Like a chicken comes from an egg."

I'm a scientific person here, but I also believe in God, so, like most Christians I know, (I know some that aren't... its possible) I am a creationist, so I picked chickens... :D

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I believe the egg came first. Reptiles are supposed to be the ancestors to birds, so supposing a reptile laid an egg, the creature inside could have undergone a mutation(s) which would give it the ability to fly, make it warm-blooded, etc.

CUCCOMASTER

..and all things will end
THANK YOU for making this thread!!! I am a christian as well but that doesn't matter because i have my own hypothesis. Of course, the chicken came first! Believe me, I would know this kind of stuff. Its not like an egg just appeared out of thin air. OBVIOUSLY the chicken evolved out of some sort of dinosaur. Why not??? Turkeys evolved from raptors so I think chickens can be considered an evolution of a dinosaur. Plus, chickens can pwn turkeys.

L

Legendary Sword

Based on my Catholic faith and citing the Book of Genesis, I believe that God created the birds (including this chicken about which we are speaking), which, in turn laid an egg. I believe the chicken came first. I am a creationist; however, I have not totally eliminated the possibility of evolution (with God as its instigator).

... Chicken, then egg.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
The chicken/egg debate is one of the most annoying debates, simply because the main question is too simple and can't be answered properly. It is true that chicken lay eggs and new chicken hatch from these eggs, but this doesn't explain the origin of the chicken. When the question is 'what is the ancestor of the chicken'? then we can give a good answer. Birds are the descendants of the dinosaurs and there are fossil remains to support this theory. The earliest fossil of a dinosaur genus with bird-like features is Archaeopteryx. I can't tell you exactly how the chicken as we know it today evolved from Archaeopteryx, but the theory that birds are descendants of dinosaurs is a widely accepted theory. If you ask the question 'what came first Archaeopteryx or the domesticated chicken?" the answer would be easy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom