• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are your top 10 video game soundtracks or music?

What are your top 10 video game soundtracks or music?
They can be an official soundtrack or just a game in which you like the music.
This topic is inspired by the countless "top game" lists we have had on these forums over the years.

Note well: this based solely on the music in the games you choose.

----------

Here's my top 10
(a few tough cuts had to be made to reach a list of 10)

I wrote out an 11th but it got cut. I'll put it in a spoiler tag as I don't want to waste what I wrote about it
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (Wii)
The whole Wind Garden motif being used in many other tracks really solidifies the overall theme of the game musically. The rest of the tracks add to this wonderfully.
An other reason why I like this soundtrack a lot is it's proudly orchestral with other instruments added in. A good comparison is Star Fox 64. SF64 is orchestral but most of the tracks are weak and don't add anything to the gemplay or the experience. The SMG soundtracks are in your face and at the time it was quite a wow moment for Mario, both visually and musically.

10. Tokyo Mirage Sessions (WiiU)
The music video tracks are the highlights here and for asian pop they are very good. It's quite a unique game idea to have an RPG based on pop music tracks. This fact alone is why I like it. I just happen to like the tracks as well. The music outside of these songs is mostly good but it's the songs that are the highlight.
As an aside I say WiiU only because the Switch added in song is pure garbage and I just ignore it's existance.

9. Monkey Island 2 (PC)
I just really like the music here, and it fits on so very well into the story and what Monkey Island is as a game.
The other thing that sets this game apart musically is iMuse. iMuse was the name given to music tech where you could take a track and add in and remove different layers of the track seamlessly. Technology to change up the music or parts of the music seamlessly based on when certain player actios happened. When this occured the track playing didn't stop playing, transitioning to the same part of the new track (or parts of) seamlessly.
In a modern sense this technology was famously used in DOOM Eternal. Not iMuse directly as it's old now, but modern music tech that exists because of the iMuse fundamentals.

Apart from being a very good soundtrack I like a lot, the tech behind it was revolutionary at the time. Michael Land and Peter McConnell were the geniuses behind this.

8. DOOM (PC)
Music stolen from early 90's rock and punk bands, slowed down, and put into DOOM. It was pure genius and it helps to give DOOM it's unique sound. It's one reason why DOOM is one of the greatest games ever made.
As an aside, if you like DOOM's music, then check out Andrew Hulshult's remake of the DOOM soundtrack. It would work 100% in a modern DOOM game. It's that good.

As a second aside I don't hate Mick Gordon's work on the modern DOOM games. I just feel his work is not DOOM. It's one of the major points which make the NEW DOOM games feel out of place when compared to the classic DOOM games. Mick did amazing work, but it's just not DOOM. I would legit play a hack of DOOM 2016 or DOOM Eternal with Hulshult's work as the soundtrack. It would be a far better experience overall.

7. Master of Orion 2 (PC)
This is one of those soundtracks that jsut fits so well with what the game is. It's not trying to be one genre or another for the sake of anything. The composers just wanted to have music that sounded exactly like what the players were seeing with their eyes. My favourite are the main map Galatic themes. They really do fit a space based 4X game.
Also worthy of mention is the various alien diplomacy screens. The music for each sounds like what the race is. The ant like Klackon have insect buzzing in their music. The Mrrshan have tribal music which makes total sense as they are a race of humanoid tigers. And so on and so on. Music composers making music that actually makes sense in the game.

6. Octopath Traveler (Switch)
If you own this soundtrack (the full one physically or digitally) listen to the eight playable character motifs. They all focus on a different instrument which the character and their homelands and story are built upon. It really helps differentiate the eight stories so musically you know which one you are playing and don't get bored.
Past this it's just a soundtrack I like a lot. I do feel all the effort the composers went into making this soundtrack.

5. Quell (iOS)
The four Quell games use the same base soundtrack for their music. This is called The Quell Collection. Musically the eleven tracks tell a story of two people finding each other, getting married and eventually dying via old age. The track titles help solidify this but they are not needed. The music itself tells the story very well. It's a purely acoustic (piano and guitar with the occassional strings as well) soundtrack.
It's 32 minutes in total and it's one of the few soundtracks I would recommend listening from start to finish in order. Music telling a story so well with zero lyrics. That's what I really like about this soundtrack.

4. Dragon Quest XI (PS4 /Switch)
This is the usual Dragon Quest music we all know but it's refined to a near perfect art. People play Dragon Quest games because they are unapologetically Dragon Quest. This applies musically. Right from the intro video you're in, 100% Dragon Quest. Honestly it's not as listenable outside the game, but in game the music immerses you in the Dragon Quest world. To the point where hours can pass and you just lose track of time.
For world immersion music, few come better than this.

3. Terranigma (SNES)
The thing about this soundtrack is each piece is it's own piece. It doesn't fit into the story, it enhances the story, to make every moment, every area, it's own grand set piece. The composers pulled this off and then some. The only downside is a lot of the good tracks from the game are not in the official CD soundtrack. I found the .SPC file and as loslessly as I could converted what the CD soundtrack lacked into something iTunes could play. Well worth it.
The music here is one of the reasons this is one of my favourite games ever.

2. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
The music here is partially what give Persona 4 it's own style. A style I really do like. The same deal with Persona 5 but I just prefer Persona 4's music so much more.
I say golden as opposed to the PS2 original because the 3rd semester music is jsut as amasizng as the rest of the game. The only track I don't like is the PS2 intro video. Thankfully that's replaced with the far better Golden into video so I never have to watch that again (unless I go into the Teddie TV menus and look it up).

Which Persona soundtrack is the best is subjective. I just like the music and vocals of 4 the best.

1. To The Moon (PC)
This is more of an experience and less of a game. The music helps to make the experience though. Tugs on all of those emotional strings over and over.
Experience this at your own risk. You will feel the emotions with this one and don't expect to finish up happy after it's all said and done. I know I was not. Still an amazing experience that got me to think about so much and the music was an integral part of this.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
a bit of a rough list and I wouldn't say it's in this actual order, but this is what I can come up w/

10. Sonic Adventure
9. Twilight Princess
8. Kingdom Hearts 2 [HD version]
7. Chrono Trigger
6. Star Fox Assault
5. MOTHER 3
4. Apollo Justice
3. Xenosaga Episode 3
2. Super Mario Galaxy
1. Xenoblade Chronicles

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not in any order, really.

10. Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom
9. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
8. Rune Factory 4
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Fire Emblem: Awakening
5. Trails in the Sky FC
4. Trails in the Sky SC
3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
1. The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

Last edited:
10. Sonic CD(US)
9. Celeste
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
7. Mega Man 2
6. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Cyber Shadow
4. The Guardian Legend
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
1. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Man, this was hard...

Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Super Mario Odyssey
Undertale
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
A Hat in Time
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
Pokemon Black 2 and White 2
Goemon's Great Adventure
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Tom and Jerry: War of The Whiskers
Monster Boy in The Cursed Kingdom (remake)
Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night
Paper Mario Color Splash

Yeah, I know it's more then 10, and no they aren't in any particular order. These are just all rockin' soundtracks.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
I have to agree with one. To me it's the only non cutsey Yoshi game and that's why I like it so much. Especially the castle and cave music.
7. Mega Man 2
1. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
I really liked these two too. So much so I wanted to add them to my list but as you know tough cuts just have to happen.
MM2 is probably my favourite NES chiptune soundtrack for so many reasons. Mostly because the music actually sounds like where you are. Bubbleman's music sounds like you are underwater. Heatman's music sounds like lava etc etc.
Also as an aside David Wise and Grant Kirkhope are composing legends and I like most of their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom