• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are Your Top 10 Non-Zelda Games of All Time?!

MrLuigi

Theorist
1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door-GC

2. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life-GC

3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl-Wii

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2-Wii/F-ZERO X-N64

5. Banjo Tooie-N64

6. Super Mario Bros. 2-NES

7. Mario Party 2-N64

8. Mario Tennis-N64

9. Kirby Air Ride-GC

10. Yoshi's Story

This list is in no order whatsoever. It wouldn't do any of my favorite games justice to pick one over the other.

1. Metroid Prime
Need I say more? This game was simply epic. The graphics were ahead of their time, the music is perfect, the gameplay was thrilling, and the story was epic. I got this game for Christmas, and I beat it a few weeks ago. Cannot wait to get Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

2. Pokemon Emerald
The third generation of Pokemon is my favorite generation, and this game smooths out Ruby/Sapphire gameplay, put in Crystal-esque Pokemon animations, has the complete Battle Frontier. Also, you can catch Kyogre, Groudon, AND Rayquaza in this one. Molds the best of Ruby and Sapphire into one.

3. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
This game was just a Nintendo fanboy's dream come true. Stunning graphics, for one. Two, some of the greatest music from some of Nintendo's greatest works. There is music from Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Pokemon, and tons of other Nintendo franchises. There are some fantastic remixes as well as original pieces. It's the perfect game to play with friends or when you've got nothing better to do, since it has such amazing replay value.

4. Halo CE
Another game that was ahead of its time. The music was fantastic, the scenery and environment were awe-inspiring, the gameplay was fast-paced and fun, and the storyline was nothing short of epic. Truly a masterpiece. The multiplayer never got old, and the multiplayer maps were some of the best of the whole series. I could go into such detail about every little thing and write a whole novel about how awesome this game was, but I'll stop here. This was probably the first truly great game I ever played.​

5. Metroid: Zero Mission
The original mission to Zebes. This is the very first Metroid game I played and it set the table extremely well for the rest of my Metroid experience. I have become a huge Metroid fan ever since I played this game so long ago.

6. Super Mario Galaxy
Another masterpiece. It takes the gameplay of Super Mario 64 and revises it, polishes it up, and puts it in an action-packed game with awe-inspiring scenery and fantastic music. The ultimate Mario experience in my opinion.

7. Donkey Kong Country
This game was the first and, in my opinion, best of the DKC series. This game not only provided a challenge, but was hilarious and fun to play. The music never fails to fill me with joy or laugh. Going back for all the letters, balloons, secret caves, and the animals was fun, too. Definitely a great work of art.

8. Star Wars Battlefront
This game borrows fantastic gameplay from another game and puts it into one of my favorite fictional universes ever. The amount of maps, the "class" or "loadout" feature, and simply all the things you could do on your favorite Star Wars locales makes this game fantastic. Want to fly an X-Wing and shoot down Tie Fighters? Go for it. Want to be a soldier on the front lines, shooting down droids while vehicles and fierce firefights rage about? Go for it. Want to be a sniper in the Star Wars universe? Go for it. Want to be a Stormtrooper taking Echo Base by storm? Want to fly from story to story in Cloud City as a Jet Trooper? Want to command a large variety of powerful vehicles? Want to build turrets and provide support for your A.I. or co-op buddies? Want to take on the role of a demolitions man and shoot homing rockets at vehicles from afar? Or perhaps you want to re-enact your favorite scenes from the films. Maybe you even want to experiment or just goof off? It's all here. The battle is in your hands. Pick a side, pick a loadout, and go.

9. Halo 2/Halo 3
These two games were very similiar style-wise, so I decided to include them as one. They are tied in my eyes, anyway.

10. Mario Kart: Double Dash
My favorite of the Mario Kart series. All of the possibilities for team-ups and different karts, as well as the fact that this MK has all my favorite race tracks, and that even the "average" race tracks for this game were better than the average race tracks for other MK games, make this my favorite of the series. I love all the Mario Karts, but this one definitely stands out.

Again, these are in no order whatsoever.

Jedizora

:right:
10. Civilization revolution: You can build troops the way you want them, and its a RTS
9. Halo wars: See above, except now its halo
8. Call of duty: black ops: It was very solid, had nice action, and it brought a groundbreaking innovation to CoD: Diving
7. Star wars: battle front Insanly fun, And It was the game that gave me my love of gaming
6. Littlebig planet: It is an amazing platfromer, and the edit system is amazing.
5. Glory of heracles: Its a wonderful RPG(although unheard) Based off of greek mythology. It even Uses the greek spelling of heracles(roman spelling hercules)
4. Paper mario:TTYD Graet game, gave mario alot of paper abitites, but not as tight as
3. paper mario: ... as in the controls.
2: Dragon quest 9 Possible the best RPG man will ever make.
1: halo reach. I can't help it, I am obsessed with it.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Pokemon HeartGold
4. Super Mario 64
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. Sonic Colors
7. Animal Crossing: City Folk
8. Michael Jackson: The Experience (huge MJ fan! Terrible controls though. The Wii Remote doesn't really read)
9. Super Mario Bros.
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

I'm really bad at ordering things! Especially when there's no Zelda games! Aargh I'm bad at making decisions!

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
10 Bomberman (Various, but I especially like Bomberman Generations on the Gamecube). Yes, I'm talking about the multiplayer mode. Why should any gamer even start the soloplayer mode (I finished it)? No, the multiplayer mode is where it's at. Easy to learn, hard to master,and it beats Mario Kart in the offline multiplayer Schadenfreude department. Yeah, I said it. Bomberman is a better multiplayer game than Mario Kart. It would rank higher if the soloplayer mode was worth a nickel.

9 Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii). Metroid was a great NES game. Metroid II for GameBoy was better. Super Metroid seemed like the zenith for a series, so good that they didn't release a sequel for another eight years. And when the sequel finally came, it blew everyone away. Now I've got to say that I hate First-Person-Shooters with a vengeance. HATE them. But Metroid Prime did everything right. The controls were brilliantly intuitive, the graphics (for its time) were amazing, the music was pumping, and the countless secrets you had to search every nook and cranny of the overworld for added quite a few hours of gameplay. Then came the sequel, which was okay, but nothing spectacular, and then came Metroid Prime 3, which was almost another quantum leap because of the Wii motion controls. But to release the whole trilogy with Wii motion controls? Genius. Why doesn't it rank higher? There isn't much replay value. Once you've found all weapon upgrades, all missile expansions and energy tanks, well, that's it. Yes, you could do a speedrun, but you can do that with almost every game on this list, so that alone doesn't count. And while the music is impressive, it's not as catchy as that of...

8 Mega Man 2 (NES).
Yes, it's 8-Bit, and it shows. The graphics are simple bitmap sprites, the music is just bloops and bleeps, but Mega Man 2 turned 8-Bit to perfection. From the catchy sounds to the charming Mega Man sprite... Wow. The difficulty is insanely hard, but with a bit of training, it's perfectly possible to beat each level. The robot masters were great and finding their achilles heels was immensely satisfying. In fact, this would be the best 8-Bit game on this list if it weren't for...

7 Duck Tales (whoo-hoo!) (NES). Also by Capcom, I think even by the same developers team as Mega Man, Duck Tales is proof to this day that a game based on licensed characters can be good. So what if Scrooge McDuck jumping around on his stick never appeared in the cartoon show the game was based on (nor in the comic books the cartoon show was based on)? It made for unique gameplay and great level design. And again, the music. You'd think that in a game based on a franchise with THE MOST CATCHY THEME SONG IN HISTORY, it would be hard to come up with memorable tunes to compete with that. And yet Capcom knocked it out of the park. As good as 8-Bit gets.

6 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii).
The best game in one of the best franchises ever. The epic orchestral soundtrack, the huge levels, the challenging difficulty, the gravity gimmick, everything Nintendo learned doing the various Super Mario Bros, Land, World, 64 and Sunshine games culminated in one masterpiece. And they even found a good use for the Wiimote controls. No useless minigames, no carpal tunnel syndromes from trying to navigate the menu, instead we get intuitive gaming at its best.

5/4 Silent Hill (PS) and Silent Hill 2 (PS2, Xbox, PC).
I have to name them both, but it's impossible to rank them, so I'm giving them two slots. Yes, 2 has better graphics and a darker story twist, but 1 has a man looking for his missing daughter, all alone in a world where everything is against him. Yes, the biggest hook to the game was lifted from Link to the Past. One world in two different flavors, light and shadow. But this is not a simple action-adventure. This is a horror game. So when "light" is already a foggy ghost town with rabid dogs and weird, twisted enemies, you don't want to know what "shadow" is. You want to experience it. Oh, and bonus points for the street names. All in all, the second best survival horror franchise in gaming history.

3 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox, PC).
You know, I'm not a Star Wars geek. I liked the original trilogy, didn't like the changes they made for the re-release, hated Episode I and II, III is okay, but not even close to the original movies. In fact, I had completely given up on the franchise. And then I played Kotor. With its background ripped from the movies and the character development ripped from Dungeons & Dragons, it seemed like this sort of patchwork Frankenstein game, that everybody kept recommending to me. I played it, and I was instantly hooked. From the brilliant presentation to the likable characters, from the rich world to the powerful story, this game is brilliant. That it was one of the first to implement a good/evil scale and player decisions leading to two different endings based on which side of the force you chose was just the icing on the cake. This is how RPGs have to be done. Why aren't there more than this? Give me great stories!

2 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Gamecube).
Did someone ask for great stories? Meet one of the best stories in video games. And the best survival horror game ever released. A must-have for every owner of a Gamecube controller. It starts with the cliched haunted mansion and a girl vowing to capture her grandfather's killer, but very soon this turns into a captivating story spanning millennia (and owing quite a bit to H.P. Lovecraft), revisiting the same locations again and again. Add a perfect control scheme that lets you target certain body parts of your enemies (for that classic "shotgun lobotomy"), a clever way of using magic by combining glyphs you find all over the game, an epic soundtrack and, of course, the Sanity Effects. You see, the game has four different bars (three of them visible): Health, Magic, Stamina and Sanity. Over the course of the game, weird $#!+ happens to your player character. And that deducts sanity. If the sanity doesn't get replenished, weird $#!+ starts to happen to you, the player. The camera angle starts to shift, weird sounds come from everywhere, and that's just the beginning. Don't spoil yourself by looking at youtube clips. Just play this game. At night. With the lights out. And your surround system cranked up. If you dare.

1 Tetris (Everything). Easy to learn, everyone knows it, highly addictive, has infinite replay value. You'll never be able to get Korobeiniki out of your head. And you don't want to. Tetris is a game that you can give to everyone, from a six-year-old to your great-grandmother, from a casual gamer to the most hardcore geek. Everyone immediately gets it. And everyone has fun. And what more can you ask from a game?

1. Civilization IV (PC, Mac)
2. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
3. Infamous (Playstation 3)
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood(Playstation 3)
5. Little Big Planet (Playstation 3)
6. Rock Band (Xbox)
7. Earthbound (Snes)
8. Little Big Planet 2 (Playstation 3)
9. Mother 3 (GameBoy, never actually played it)
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

NOTE: Other than the first 2 games, these are all out of order.

Last edited:
10- Pokemon Silver
9- Final Fantasy VI
8- Earthbound
7- Super Mario World
6- Soul Calibur 2
5- Super Smash Brothers Melee
4- Pac-Man World 2
3- Megaman 2
2- Scott Pilgrim VS. the World: the Videogame
1- Cave Story

1. Pokémon Emerald Version
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Monster Hunter Tri
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Metroid
6. Ico
7. Pokémon Platinum Version
8. Metroid Other M
9. Paper Mario the Thousand Year door
10. Golden Sun

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
In no particular order.

Halo Combat Evolved
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem
Street Fighter II
Splinter Cell Conviction
Batman Arkham Asylum

And so many others!!!

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
The first thing I thought of was OoT, but then I realized the list was for non-Zelda! :P Here I go;

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) I love beating my brothers with Lucario
2. SSX 3 (PS2) I used to play this allllll the time. I absolutely loved it.
3. Mario Kart (Wii) Once again, I love beating my brothers!
4. Fable II (Xbox) Got me into RPG games
5. Prince of Persia; Sands of Time (Xbox) RPG <3
6. Just Dance (Wii) Love to dance, what can I say.
7. Mirror's Edge (Xbox) First person view was quite a change, but very unique.
8. Left 4 Dead (Xbox) Play it with my brothers all the time.
9. Pure (Xbox) Racing <3
10. Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo 64) Gotta love Diddy Kong and his peanut guns <3

Last edited:

Diablo

King of Redeads
Doom(PC)
One of first games I ever played, I've must of replayed this game a million times.

Resident Evil Zero(GC)
Scared the crap out of me the first time I played it, I love how you fight the zombies in enclosed spaces such as the train.

Cave Story(PC)
One of the best 2d games I have ever played very original and addicting.

Pokemon Blue
(GBC)
This game entertained me for hours when I was a kid and still remains one of my favorite games.

Half Life 2
(PC)
I actually just finished this game and it has everything you want in a game, amazing graphics for it's time, awesome story, and mystery I love mystery.

Red Faction(PS2)
One of my favorite PS2 games ever, played it nonstop

Halo combat evolved(PC)
The only game in the Halo series that doesn't make me puke from crappy storylines. Good game overall the flood were pretty cool to fight.

Super Mario 64(N64)
Used to hate this game but I found the more challenging the game is the more fun it is.

Goldeneye(N64)
Very nice shooter, and pretty much the only 007 game that has been a challenge.

Sonic the Hedgehog(Genesis)
One of my Genesis favorites till play it from time to time.

These games are in no particular order.

10. super Mario sunshine
9. primal rage (Sega Genesis)
8. super Mario 64
7. grand theft auto San Andreas
6. Luigi's mansion
5.super smash bros melee
4.pokemon yellow
3. Halo
2.splinter cell conviction
and the #1 game is......
Alan wake

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
sup guys, it's ya boi kiwami bob....

10. Fire Emblem Blazing Sword
9. Jak 3
8. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Rayman 3
5. MOTHER 3
4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
1. Xenoblade Chronicles

7 and up aren't exactly finalized, I know a Mario game is in my 10, just need to settle on which, but I'm feeling pretty good about the rest

I'm not doing a top 10, but I'll list 10 games I like a lot for various differing reasons.

Master of Orion 2 (PC)
Dragon Quest XI (Switch/PS4)
Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS4/Switch) - with all the XL content added
Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Terranigma (SNES)
Secret of Monkey Island 2 (PC)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Secret of Evermore (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom