• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are your top 10 gaming trilogies?

What are your top 10 gaming trilogies?

The 3 games have to be in order but don't have to be the first 3 games in a series. If you want games 5,6,7 in a series to be the trilogy, that's fine if it makes sense as a trilogy.

I am aware a trilogy is 3 games only, but I think we cna stretch it to any 3 games in a row, no mater where they come in a series.

Here are my top 10 gaming trilogies
I chose them because I thought all 3 games were pretty good.

1. Soulblazer Trilogy (SNES) - Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma
2. Marathon Trilogy (Classic Mac OS)
3. Quell Trilogy (iOS)
4. Diablo 1-3 (PC)
5. Doom 1-3 (PC)
6. Metroid Prime 1-3 (GC, Wii)
7. Smash Bros - 64, Melee, Brawl (N64, GC, Wii)
8. Donkey Kong Country 1-3 (SNES)
9. Secret of Monkey Island 1-3 (PC)
10. Commander Keen 4-6 (PC)

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I find it hard to like an 'entire' trilogy, but I'll shoot out my top less than 10 list.

1. Mass Effect 1-3
2. Halo 1-3
3. Dead Space 1-3 (3 wasn't the best, but it was okay. Replaced the horror genre's dark "I can't see enemies" scenes with snow white "I can't see enemies" blizzards)
4. Mortal Kombat 1-3
5. Gears of War
6. Jak and Daxter
7. Grand Theft Auto 3, VC, SA (or even 3,4,5)
8. Ratchet and Clank 1, Going Commando, Up your Arsenal
9. Half lif... wait...

Don't think I can name ten, but here's the ones I could think of;

1.) Metroid Prime Trilogy: Even if Echoes is a good bit behind the other two, it's still Metroid at its 3D best throughout. Kudos to a trilogy for bringing an interesting side-story to a series that didn't have its roots in strong, cohesive storytelling. "1st person adventure" as a genre really took off with the first Prime, and I feel like it's still the best example of it out there.

2.) Mega Man X SNES Trilogy: Although I'm not one of the fans that pretends like everything after X4 doesn't exist, there's really no denying that the first three X games were truly the highlight of the X series. Honestly, I don't even like Mega Man Classic games. They don't interest me, and because the vast majority of it is 8-bit, I don't really get the visual appeal either. The first three X games are a different story though. I'm sure I don't have to preach about why the original X is so good, but trust me, X2 is just as good if not better. X3 is one of the most hardcore games I've ever played too - you better know what you're doing or you'll get your balls rocked.

3.) Batman Arkham Trilogy: The sheer genius behind so many concepts in these games is pretty impressive. The Detective Mode, free-motion combat, a Metroidvania type of progression with gadgets, and a truly believable open world are some that I can think of off the top of my head. It also does a great job of bringing "Nolan Batman" into a video game with a story that, although lacking in some parts, is still enjoyable with its large cast of Batman favorites and not-so-knowns.

4.) Super Mario NES Trilogy: I actually played through all three games via the Wii version of Super Mario All Stars last summer in preparation for Super Mario Maker, and I enjoyed all of them. Not really as much as the 3D games or World, but it's still pretty commendable that the quality was so high through three early-era games. You just also have to appreciate how they pretty much laid the ground work for every great platformer ever.

5.) Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis Trilogy: I'll be frank, I think the first Sonic the Hedgehog game is just barely "good". It's kind of clunky and unrefined, and I don't think it's really all that great in hindsight. But the second and third are so amazing that it really elevates the entire trilogy for me. The sense of speed and how the games reward careful and precise skills with said speed lead to something truly unique, and I feel like 2 and 3 add enough to the formula via new mechanics and characters that it really makes all three feel like separate and diverse games. I'm not a 3D Sonic hater, and I won't claim that the "good ole Genesis" days are clearly superior to everything since (they're not). But the originals definitely have their merits.

1. Tekken 4-6
  2. Resident Evil 1-3
  3. Uncharted 1-3
  4. Doom 1-3
  5. Metal Gear Solid 1-3
  6. Diablo 1-3
  7. Zelda A Link to the Past, Links Awakening, OoT
  8. Quake 1-3
  9. Final Fantasy 6-8
  10. Tenchu 1-3

Probably the Half-Li... oh yeah.

In all seriousness though:

1. Final Fantasy SNES games (4-6)
2. Halo Trilogy
3. Mega Man X SNES games
4. Donkey Kong Country SNES games
5. Sonic Adv... uh... I mean Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis games (1-3 & Knuckles)
6. Super Mario Bros. NES games
7. Castlevania NES games

Are you calling the second game in your favourite trilogy the Japanese one (lost levels) or the rest of the world one (with the vegetables)?
I only ask as both games are the 2nd games in a way.

Definitely Super Mario Bros 2 USA. The Lost Levels is far too difficult for me to find any real enjoyment, and I've never actually beaten it. The USA version I found to be very fun, although I think the GBA remake is the definitive version, not the version included in the All Stars collection.

I quite like the Tomb Raider ps2/360 trilogy; Legend, Anniversary and Underworld.

They were really good games coming off the abysmal Angel of Darkness, they put my faith back in the series.

As for others...

2. Devil May Cry 1,2 & 3

3. Prince of Persia ps2 trilogy

4. Final Fantasy 8,9 & 10

5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask & Wind Waker

6. Donkey Kong Country Snes trilogy

7. Castlevania; circle of the moon, harmony of dissonance & aria of sorrow

8. Resident Evil 0, remake & 2

9. Project Zero ps2 trilogy

10. Uhhmmm Sonic 1,2 & 3 I guess

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
  1. Grand Theft Auto PS2 Trilogy
  2. Fallout 3D Trilogy
  3. Spyro Trilogy
  4. Uncharted Trilogy
  5. Assassin's Creed Ezio Trilogy
  6. Killzone Trilogy
  7. Smash Bros. Trilogy
  8. Bioshock Trilogy
  9. Resistance Trilogy
  10. Mario Bros. Trilogy

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I can't do a full ten cuz i don't do that type of thing

1# Souls series, from Demon Souls to DS 3
2# Jak and Daxter (Jak 3 was my favorite one ever)
3# Zelda (more specifically LA, OOT and MM)
4# Smash Bros
5# Metroid (1,2,Super)
I suppose a low 6 could be given to mario But i've only really enjoyed the Galaxy games

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
MOTHER series
grand theft auto ps2
metal gear solid 1 - 3
jak and daxter
phoenix wright
star fox 64 & gamecube games
sonic genesis games
mario nes games
pokemon kanto,johto,& hoenn
crash bandicoot

Dan

Streets of Rage, 1 2 and 3 - The series has one of the greatest and unique soundtracks on the Mega Drive. Great stage design, and character design. Although the first game has a few hit and miss stages in terms of design.

Crash Bandicoot PS1 trilogy - Solid 3D linear platformer and solid gameplay.

Spyro the Dragon PS1 trilogy - Preferred the first game in the series the most, furthermore it had the biggest impact on me as it was the first 3D game I played that allowed for plenty of exploration at the time. All three games are solid platformers and a ton of fun.

Donkey Kong Country SNES - First game was awesome. The second game however has to be one of the greatest platformers of all time. It improved upon the first game in every way. For me the second game is objectively better than both the first and third game. The second game also had one of the greatest difficulty curves I've ever experienced in any game before, it felt right. I'll admit now though I've only partially played the third game in the series as it felt like a throwback rather than a step forward in the series.

Ratchet and Clank PS2 trilogy - I absolutely adore the first three Ratchet and Clank games. Each stage was designed so well and looked amazing on the system. The story was simplistic, funny and didn't take itself too seriously, too bad future games didn't follow this tone. One of the greatest elements of this series is the weapons and gadgets you acquire along your journey, they are so over the top in a true cartoonist fashion. Oh and the soundtrack is great too, all platformers need a good soundtrack.

Sonic 1, 2, CD - I already expressed my love for these games on this forum a dozen times now.

Bubsy 1 2 and 3D - There is no need for explanation these games are the greatest games of all time.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Metroid Prime Trilogy- hands down the best FPS/Action Adventure games ever made. Some of the best atmosphere ever made have done this. The first one is my favorite.

Spyro PS1 trilogy- some of the best 3D platformers ever made and that have amazing charm and wit. Likable characters were amazing throughout this. Year of the Dragon was definitely my favorite.

Donkey Kong Country- Amazing SNES games that were industry leading. It has amazing atmosphere, amazing music. It's almost perfect. DKC2 is my favorite.

Mother Trilogy- Some of the best RPG's ever made... Period.

Phoenix Wright- This proved to me that visual novels can actually be good in videogames. Amazing characters.

Final Fantasy 4,5,6
These were the FF games made for SNES. They are amazing, and really are amazing RPG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom