• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are your top 10 game soundtracks or music?

What are your top 10 game soundtracks or music?
Music is part of all good games and what music or soundtracks do you really remember and highly recommend others to listen to? Share your top 10.

Here are my top 10.

1. Terranigma
2. Quell Trilogy
3. To The Moon
4. Demon's Crest
5. Donkey Kong Country 2
6. Mega Man 2
7. Master Of Orion 2
8. BreakQuest
9. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
10. World of Warcraft (and Burning Crusade)

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I can never do a full Top 10 without generally having to come back and add to it. But to start with,
  • Halo 3: ODST (all the Halo games have amazing music, but ODST was best I think)
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Final Fantasy VIII (again, all the FF's have great soundtracks, but 8 tops them for me)
  • Witcher 2
  • Bastion (what isn't perfect about that game?)
  • Doom
  • Deus Ex
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • Sonic 2
I'll leave it there for now, I know there's a lot more but I ish tired and always suck at remembering my favourite things. :P Guarantee when I'm lying in bed I'll come up with my favourites!

Musicfan

the shadow mage
1.) Radiant Historia
small sound track with a major impact with each song.

2.) Xenoblade the songs for the most part fit where used the ones that are not used as much leave just as big an impact as the song used all the time.

3.) Ace Attorney (series)
May not fit the concept but they fit the story of the game well and have power behind them.

4.) Okami
Simply beautiful made each area memerable had a wide range of emotion.

5.)Mario and Luigi Super Star saga
Simply catchy

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
1) Risk of Rain - Beautiful tracks that capture the feeling of the locations and boss fights that the songs are used in.
2) Metroid Prime 3 - Great game, with music that provides emotion for all the moments in it (and arguably one of the most epic sounding title tracks of a Metroid game)
3) Metroid Prime 2 - See above (but leave out that last part about the title track).
4) Metroid Fusion - Kinda older but it's one of my favorite soundtracks.
5) Skull Girls - A fun set of songs for a fighting game. Doesn't feel like a fighting game OST, but in a way still fits.
6) Hotline Miami - A game with soundtrack that feels like the songs are a modern twist on retro sounds. Very pop-ish, but also gritty and industrial.
7) Uncharted 2 - Gave a very epic feel to the game and I really enjoyed it having this grand exploration-esq soundtrack.
8) Savant: Ascent - A game based on the fictional character designed by a Dubstep musician who is a literal Savant in the music field. The music is his own music and I gotta say, they chose some good tracks to include (and I'd recommend listening to Kali 47).
9) Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess - Easily my favorite Legend of Zelda game with an awesome soundtrack to help define it.
10) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - A fast paced fighting game with a fast paced set of songs that drive it.

Top 10 Gaming Soundtracks in no particular order
1-Ecco the Dolphin
2-The SNES DKC Trilogy
3-Mega Man 2
4-Golden Sun The Lost Age
5-Super Metroid
6-Okami
7-Mega Man X
8-Mega Man Zero series
9-Pocky and Rocky 2 has an amazing soundtrack
10-Kid Icarus Uprising

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
  1. Fragile Dreams ~Farewell Ruins of the Moon~ (Disc 1, Disc 2)
  2. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (OST)
  3. The Last Story (Playlist)
  4. Shadow of the Colossus (OST)
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles (OST)
  6. American McGee's Alice (OST)
  7. Rain (OST)
  8. The Night of the Rabbit (OST)
  9. Timesplitters 2 (OST)
  10. Sonic R (OST)

I will most likely come back to this at some point and edit in reasons, but for now, this was hard enough to compile as it is.

Last edited:
For me, my top 3 were easy to choose. In my opinion they are so far above the rest, not even in the same league. 4-10 on the other hand were so hard to choose. Great soundtracks like:
  • Star Fox SNES
  • Chronotrigger
  • Tales of Phantasia
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 NES
  • Trine
  • Tyrian
  • Wizards and Warriors 3 NES
  • Zelda 3
  • Sim City 4
  • Shadowgate NES
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Mega Man X
all missed out on a spot.

I must agree that there is so much good game music out there. So hard to choose a final 10, but some hard cuts had to be made to choose the 10. And thanks for all replying on this. It's interesting to see what everyone likes, in terms of game music.

Last edited:

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Some OST's I remember:
  • Zelda (OOT, TWW, MM)
  • Smash Bros Brawl + Wii U
  • Portal 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Mario Galaxy games
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • The Halo series

This is a hard question for me because I like every soundtrack that isn't terrible. XD I'll choose the OST's I like the most, though.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
5. Kirby Super Star
6. Sonic CD (JP version)
7. Super Mario 64
8. Dust: An Elysian Tail
9. Freedom Planet
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
There's a lot of soundtracks I like, with a good chunk... uhm, I mean about 90% of them coming from Square Enix. But before I begin my list, I'd like to give an honorable mention to "To The Moon," because just how well done and emotional its soundtrack is.

Some light spoilers ahead, but the most the song titles will actually spoil is the name of a location the player will visit later or a potential boss fight.

10. Bravely Default
Notable Tracks: Conflict's Chime, Wicked Flight, That Person's Name Is, Land of Light and Shadow, Prelude Moving Toward Hope

A rather recent addition to my 10 ten list, Bravely Default's music does everything right. From the upbeat battle music to the spritely tones of the overworld and events, there's really only a small handful of forgettable tracks.

Which is a shame, because Bravely Default does a lot of things wrong, with the biggest gripe of them all being the plot. Ah, well, no need to dwell on that.

9. The World Ends With You
Notable Tracks: Calling, Give Me All Your Love, Twister (Normal / Remix / Gang Mix)

A criminally underrated game loaded with fantastic tracks. Really, everything about this soundtrack fits the theme of the game. It's stylish, and I dig it. Very happy that Calling and Twister made it into Theatrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call as DLC tracks.

Also, "Need more candy cane." Pfftfbth.

8. Bastion
Notable Tracks: In Case of Trouble, Build That Wall (Zia's Theme), A Proper Story

An acoustic guitar and elements of trip hop? Yes, please! Everything about this soundtrack just adds fantastically to Bastion's gameplay, overall tone and narrative. It's also great to listen to on its own.

7. NieR
Notable Tracks: Kainé's Theme (Salvation), Song of the Ancients Fate, Ashes of Dreams -Nouveau-

Freaking. Duh. This game is visually appealing and the soundtrack is just as amazing. However, NieR's soundtrack might grate on you after awhile if you don't care for vocals, and they're used in every track of the game.

6. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Notable Tracks: Limitation, Revolt, Overture, Piercing Truths, Blasphemous Experiment

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was originally a SNES game, so when they decided to port it to the PSP, the entire game received a massive overhaul. That included the soundtrack, and damn, does it sound beautiful fully orchestrated.

The music does a great job of conveying that the world Denam is living in... well, no matter what route you take, he's stuck in a craptastic world.

5. Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross
Notable Tracks: Time's Scar, Corridors of Time, Dream of the Shore Near Another World, Wind Scene, Star Stealing Girl, Schala's Theme, Dreamwatch of Time

No need to explain why they're so great -- they do it themselves. Also, when you hear the main melody of Chrono Trigger woven into Dreamwatch of Time, you can't help but feel your heart soar.

Okay, so I'm cheating a bit here, but these two are so great that they deserve to share a spot together. Even if you didn't like the games, you can't deny that the soundtrack to these two games are one of the most polished OSTs of all time.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics
Notable Tracks: Trisection, Ovelia's Worries, Data Screen, Decisive Battle, Antipyretic, Remnants, Under the Stars, Run Past Through the Plains, Attack Team, And I Ran Away

Do you know how hard it was for me to stop listing tracks for this game? REALLY, REALLY FREAKING HARD. The same brilliant minds behind the soundtrack to Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together were also in charge of creating the music to Final Fantasy Tactics, and to be honest, it's definitely the best work they've put out together. The two composers just work so well together, and you can hear how they bounce right off of each other.

Which makes me wonder why they only got one of them to work on Final Fantasy XII. Hm.

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Notable Tracks: Mass Destruction (P3 / FES), Master of Shadows, Living With Determination (Normal / Iwatodai Station), Aria of the Soul

Shoji Meguro just might be Jesus. He writes some really catchy music, and Persona 3 is no exception. From the quiet, operatic tones of Aria of the Soul to the acidic techno beats of Master of Shadows and Tartarus, Persona 3 has quite the offering of tracks to choose from.

Also, Master of Shadows is the game's way of tell you that play time is over and that the Full Moon boss is probably going to curb stomp you seven ways into Sunday. Get rekt, son.

2. Final Fantasy IX
Notable Tracks: Rose of May, Behind the Door, Unrequited Love, Swords of Fury, The Darkness of Eternity, Vamo' alla Flamenco, Hunter's Chance, Jesters of the Moon

Final Fantasy is know not only for being one of the most renowned JRPG franchises out there, but also known for its rich musical history. However, Nobuo Uematsu once stated that Final Fantasy IX's soundtrack is his magnum opus, and I'm inclined to agree with him. There's not one single dull track to be found here.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
Notable Tracks: Mechanical Rhythm, Eryth Sea (Night), Engage the Enemy, Gaur Plains, You Will Know Our Names, Mechonis Field, Main Theme, Riki's Tenderness

Should this be a surprise to anyone? No? Okay.

Take the brilliance of Final Fantasy Tactics musical creators', add three or four more composers into the mix and crank it up to 11. From the gentle, almost romantic tones of the opening to the rocking battle themes, Xenoblade Chronicles is an delightful musical treat that should be experienced by everyone.

My goodness, this was a difficult list to put together.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
My top three videogame soundtracks:
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Sonic Generations
Honorable mentions:
  • Yoshi's Safari
  • Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis Version)
  • Mario Kart DS (I almost picked Mario Kart: Double Dash.)
  • Sonic Colors
  • Secret of Mana

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom