• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are your thoughts on Horsehead?

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge

Who is he, what is he, and why is he?

Is he the only one of his kind?

Why does he fight for the side of evil?

Is he of human-like intelligence as his clothing might suggest?

Someone help me understand Horsehead.

Please.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
He is the boss of Parapa Palace (the first palace) in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. He uses a mace in battle, and can only be defeated by jumping and sword slashing his head, because the rest of his body is covered by armor.

He is indeed one of a kind.

We don't know much about him besides that. It's safe to assume he is in league with Ganon, and is trying to get Link's blood to revive him just like all the monsters in the game are.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
He is the boss of Parapa Palace (the first palace) in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. He uses a mace in battle, and can only be defeated by jumping and sword slashing his head, because the rest of his body is covered by armor.

He is indeed one of a kind.

We don't know much about him besides that. It's safe to assume he is in league with Ganon, and is trying to get Link's blood to revive him just like all the monsters in the game are.
Thank you for the insight.

Do you think he's inherently evil or that he's been forced into his role as a villain by a society that won't accept him because he's different?

-

He is so far the only Zelda 2 boss I've seen defeated. I'll likely have more to say about the world of Zelda 2 as LG and I get further through the game. Kudos to the ZD Zelda 2 guide for preventing us from being completely lost.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Do you think he's inherently evil or that he's been forced into his role as a villain by a society that won't accept him because he's different?
Well, he's just chilling in the Palace and never leaves, so Link is one of the only people to ever see him probably. He's probably inherently evil. Really this question can be applied to any of the monsters in Zelda, are they all inherently evil through connected to Ganondorf? Afterall, in BotW we see them resurrect with the blood moon, which is when Calamity Ganon reaches the peak of his power, perhaps implying that the monsters are extensions of himself? This is pretty wild speculation on my part, though.

No joke, I legitimately wish they would bring him back, and I think I actually wrote a whole "modern remake" boss post about him once, detailing how I would implement him.

EDIT: Yup. Found it! Wow... 2015, eh? That was a lot longer ago than I thought it would be.

Edit Edit: Oh god... my earlier writing style...

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I've never been able to beat that guy... That's how far I've made it into AoL XD
I know I could probably just grind a bit more before the boss, but since there is a level cap, I probably wouldn't be able to beat the even more difficult parts of the game later anyway, so why bother? I'm just not good or patient enough for Zelda 2...

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
The bosses of the dungeons are guardians, created by the king to protect the Triforce from evil. Horsehead is not evil, he is simply there to prevent anybody from placing the crystal.
When you have defeated the guardians, which I made to prevent enemies from invading the six palaces of Hyrule... -Ancient Scroll, Zelda II manual

I like him, he's a good first boss. I'd like to see him brought back in a new Zelda some day.

Dunno who he is.

Maybe a stone statue brought to life?

Maybe a cursed soldier?

The tinsuit sprites kinda look like him. Maybe he's just a big one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom