• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are your favorite video game soundtracks?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
For most gamers, gaming isn't just about the gameplay, but the presentation and overall experience; and one of the most important aspects of a game's presentation in my mind is the music. An amazing soundtrack can do so much for the tone and atmosphere of a game.

So, with that said, what are some of your favorite video game soundtracks? Which ones were most memorable for you and why?

For me, my top 3 VG soundtracks are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Probably my favorite Zelda soundtrack. I love the Celtic vibes and unique sound that it has in comparison to the other Zelda soundtracks. I could listen to iconic tracks like Dragon Roost Island, the Great Sea, the Molgera battle theme, and even the title theme over and over again without ever getting tired of them. And Windfall Island has the best Zelda town theme even if it is a reworked version of Kakariko Village :p

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC - I'm sure I sound like a broken record by now, but I really feel like Falcom are musical geniuses. Sky FC was my introduction to Falcom's musical efforts, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Songs like Sophisticated Fight, Silver Will, and the Whereabouts of Light (vocal version) are all masterpieces that will always be in my playlist.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening - If you know me, you'll know that Fire Emblem is one of my favorite game series; there's something so engaging about the classic FE gameplay formula that I just can't get enough of it. And it was the first FE I played, Awakening, that has my favorite FE soundtrack. Tracks like Conquest, 'And what if I can't?', 'Don't speak her name!', and Id (Serenity) all invoke different emotional moods that I can't say any other game has done for me personally. Simply beautiful.

Honorable mentions: Twilight Princess, Double Dash, Megadimension Neptunia VII, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Link's Awakening

Last edited:

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Oh, boy... I think I’m going to have to do a top 5 here.

5. Hollow Knight
Cristopher Larkin is awesome. Every boss fight had an epic piece, and didn’t skimp on atmospheric music, as many do. Just listening to the two Silksong tracks makrs

4. Wind Waker (Although really any Zelda game could be here)
Twilit put it perfectly :)

3. Mario Kart 8
This jazzy soundtrack is amazing. Personally, my favorite track (musically) is Dolphin Shoals. Maybe someday I’ll learn that saxophone solo...

2. Persona 5
Never played it. Amazing soundtrack.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy gives me chills when I listen to its music; with epic pieces like Good Egg Galaxy, to the sadness of Space Junk Galaxy, to the ubiquitous (and amazing) Gusty Garden Galaxy, this soundtrack nails the amazing yet lonely feeling space gives. I haven’t even listed all my favorite pieces yet.

Honorable Mentions:
Celeste, every Zelda game, Super Metroid, Undertale

Ooooh

5. Sonic 3
Cant go wrong with some Michael Jackson chip tunes <3

4. Kirby Super Star
Kirby Super Star is a collection of smaller games and each one has a distinct style to it. The Great Cave Offensive has music that has depth and is mysterious, whereas Dyna Blade has an action heavy feeling and Revenge of Meta Knight has a really tense and slow burn soundtrack. Every little game in this collection is just amazing in terms of music.

3. Donkey Kong Country
So many amazing and medium defining tracks. This soundtrack is genius, and that really is all that needs to be said.

2. Nier Automata
Christ the feels, the haunting feels, the epic struggles, the melancholy, the longing, the loss, the alien beauty, God damn what a unique soundtrack.

1. The Wind Waker
My favourite ever soundtrack. Everything old feels fresh again. The sense of adventure truly comes alive and everything has personality. The folkish inspirations breathe life into the aesthetic and every track is so full of feeling. I could write essays on each track, but I won't. (maybe for a blog)

Last edited:

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
5. Nier: Automata - basically for the reasons Spirit listed. Such a haunting, beautifully eerie soundtrack.

4. Undertale - A game where half the joy and experience is the awesome music. It really melds and merges with the tone and attitude of the game.

3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy IX

- Nobuo Uematsu is a master at work. His way to blend genres and to perfectly match the music with whatever's happening on screen is impeccable.

1. Parasite Eve - All aboard the goddamn feels train. So unique, memorable, fantastic, fascinating, amazing, incredible, otherworldly.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Um... Bunches:

God Eater series
Xenoblade Chronicles series
Trails of Cold Steel series
Atelier series
Devil May Cry series
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Nier: Automata
Ys series
Silent Hill series
Nights of Azure 1
F-Zero GX
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Doom 2016/Eternal
Killer Instinct 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Etrian Odyssey series
7th Dragon series
Blue Reflection
Persona 3-5
Guilty Gear series
Blazblue series
Phantasy Star Online 2
BALDR series
Wangan Midnight series

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i quite like the soundtrack for symphony of the night, though its unclear to me how much of that is nostalgia and how much is the music being solid.

i recently played rakuen and it has a handful of very beautiful songs

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nice. Haven't played it but found the soundtrack through a friend and have been listening to it recently. I love the extensive use of piano. Really beautiful.
Ironically it's from the same guy who did the boss tracks from Nights of Azure 1. Should've thought to tell you that the other day lol.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Of course WW, MM, OoT, LA, ST, SS, Z2, etc.

Aside from that:

Pokemon Black and White- this OST is very different compared to most other Pokemon ones. Everything felt more serious, even the rather upbeat ones felt like they were rather intense.

Minecraft- I have nothing to say other than to listen to the new song just added in a recent update, Pigstep.

Mega Man X- this is one of the most rocking OSTs ever. Every one of these is a headbanger to say the least.

Super Mario Galaxy- of course my favorite game ever is going to have my favorite soundtrack ever. Every single track sounds like you’re on the grandest adventure of all time. Even the ones that don’t all have a certain feel to it that makes it stand out among the rest of the Mario series.

Undertale- Toby Fox is talented to say the least. I mean how could he not be? His work in undertale was so good that he was hired by GameFreak just to write songs. If that isn’t a good sign I don’t know what is.

Is saying Smash Bros cheating?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Xenoblade, the Mario Galaxy games, Star Fox games (especially Assault), Sonic Adventure games and the series in general, basically all Zelda games (especially TP), Final Fantasy series, Kingdom Hearts 2, MGS 1- 4, F-Zero series, Phoenix Wright series, Ys series, Persona series

this is the kind of list that can go on and on, so I'll just cut it there

Last edited:
Firstly some comments

@MapelSerup
If you like what Persona is, you should play it. It's a great game.
Also if you like the P5 soundtrack, you should check out the Persona 5 Dancing soundtrack also. It's largely the same thing, just remixed versions of the same P5 tracks you know and like.
Also if you're really into this, the P5 Dancing Advanced Soundtrack is mostly extended versions on the P5 Dancing Soundtrack.

I also really like the MK8 soundtrack. To me though it's more a greatest hits of Mario IP music and not it's own thing entirely. Still it's top notch stuff.

@thePlinko
I also really like the SMG soundtrack. I like how the different layers of the tracks there are really well designed. The Wind Garden track being the iconic example there. I also like how many of the SMG and SMG 2 tracks are just reimagined versions of thise same piece, using different instruments. It helps make the music feel immersive to each area though staying in the game's overall theme.

These are 5 soundtracks I like a lot. There are many more I also like a lot but I had to cut it down to 10 as not to go on forever.

Persona Dancing
Specifically Persona 3 Dancing and Persona 4 Dancing. I really like those two quite a lot. As the remix their original soundtracks so well. P5 Dancing is equally as good, I just feel the P5 source meterial is the weakest of the three. All three have a total different sound though. All based on their source material.
P3 - Hip Hop/Rap
P4 - Traditional popular music and some slower folk-ish music
P5 - Electronica/Dance/Techno/Electropop
This all makes sense as they are following the trends of what was popular at the time.

Terranigma
To me this is the best music put out on the SNES. They took total advantage of the sample based SNES music hardware to get in more layers than ordinarily possible with chiptune music. They just sampled a few layers which each were a few layers fused together into a single layer. Also huge effort was put into the composition of each piece here. Just a shame that the SquareEnix merger killed off a fully worldwide release of this game.

Octopath Traveler
What I really like about this soundtrack is how the composers shose 8 different instruments and used them as the base sound for each character and their homeland areas. So when you visit an area or play a characters story, it's not only visually unique to them, it's also acoustically unique to them as well.
If you really want to understand this difference more, listen to the 8 motif tracks on the soundtrack. They do their job well showcasing the core instrument each character's music is based around. Then go listen to each character's theme music to see that instrument within a fully composed piece. Then, you have their homelands, towns, and ending music, which use less of the core instrument but it's still there.

I'll share what I feel the 8 instruments are.
Ophelia - Flute
Cyrus - Violin
Teressa - Harmonica
Olberic- Cello
Primose - Acoustic Guitar
Alfen - Saxaphone
Therion - Oboe or Clarinet
Haanit - Piano

The Quell Collection
A base soundtrack for the 4 Quell games. The soundtrack itself tells a story. What is that story? That's up to the listener to work out, but the 11 track names help with this. The answer is not one specific thing. The story is whatever you feel it is, whatever you feel when you listen to the music.
The music itself is paino and guitar based. Well it's entirely that as I don't hear any other instruments in it. I just really like this soundtrack a lot. It really speaks to me in many different ways.

Dragon Quest
Totally 100% iconic music by now. The same base music recycled for each game. The good thing is the base music is some fo the best ever composed. For me Dragon Quest 3 (go listen to the SNES version) is where the soundtrack really started taking shape. The DQ11 soundtrack is also good too, as a more refined version of it.
As an aside I quite like the Brass Quintet version of the soundtrack. Just the brass section doing it all, it has a stripped down, more simplistic sound which I like. I feel the 2nd Brass Quintet soundtrack tries too hard to be as grand as the source material and loses sight of the stripped back nature that it was originally going for. The first BQ soundtrack is solid though and I do recommend it.

To The Moon
This soundtrack's reputation is well deserved. Mostly paino based and tells the story so well. Full of emotion. I highly recommend it for those into this kind of music. Though I'd recommend even more highly, to just play the game first. It's not a visual novel, but it's close as there's very little gameplay involved, but still the story is amazing and the music really hammers home the themes of the game.
A Bird Story and Finding Paradise do have good soundtracks also. I just feel the first game (To The Moon) is the best of the three. I guess the initial impact of being the first game is why. The initial impact of it all just hit you hard but in a good way.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
To me it sounds like Monolith took what they did in the first game and dialed it up to 11. Totally over the top but in a good way. Each new area sound epic like you're part of something grand, bigger than life itself. I'm usually not partial to orchestral soundtracks, mostly because they are overused and often the wring type of music for many games. However in this case orchestral music fits in perfectly.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The game here is good but not great. However the parts of the soundtrack that matter, the songs are all top notch. It feels like the game was made around the already created songs. The lyrics really don't make that sense but that doesn't matter, as they sound fine when sung in Jap and really fit the music. I found the instrumentals of the songs and downloaded those too. I have to say they are really good too. The actual music is solid. Well compsed. It's not just the same 4 chords over and over. Though I would say having the music there does add to the experience, not just being there for the sake of it.
The stuff not in the soundtrack, ie the general gameplay music is actually pretty good also. I think more games need to be made around songs with vocals. As in not an after thought, but properly composed songs. Persona does this with some of their tracks to a lesser extent though. Songs with vocals in games that are not a total cringe fest, I think there is an open market for this and more developers should take advantage of this.
As an aside, a Tokyo Mirage Sessions dancing game would really work well. But would not sell as not many people are interested in this kind of thing. Though that's a maybe as the Persona Dancing games didn't sell well. That was because they were lasy cash cows, which were not worth their asking price. The concept people really enjoyed, just make it actually with enough content for the price and you have a hit game.

Starcraft
There's not much music here but when you are playing a mission you really feel like you are the race you are playing as. Total immersion. Also when you start campaign 2 and then campaign 3, the total different tone in music is very noticable and really helps to feel like it's a totally different part of the game. The music also totally defines what each race is. It's something that Warcraft 2 didn't have. Warcraft was just race 1 vs pallet swaped race 1. Musically similar as well. This is one of many ways how Starcraft improves on Warcraft. Even Warcraft 3 doesn't improve on this.

Tales of Phantasia
I had a few options for this last OST but I went with this one because I rarely talk about it.
The soundtrack is actually surprisingly good. Easily the best of any game in the series. This is also the best game in the series. The less said about the rest of the games in this series the better. Though getting back on topic, there's a lot to like about this soundtrack. There's no "bad" section of the soundtrack. It's all solid music which does fit in well with the story.
Not my favourite soundtrack ever but it's solid, a few of the pieces here are very well done and as a whole it tells the story very well. Well worth lisening to.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Firstly some comments

@MapelSerup
If you like what Persona is, you should play it. It's a great game.
Also if you like the P5 soundtrack, you should check out the Persona 5 Dancing soundtrack also. It's largely the same thing, just remixed versions of the same P5 tracks you know and like.
Also if you're really into this, the P5 Dancing Advanced Soundtrack is mostly extended versions on the P5 Dancing Soundtrack.

I also really like the MK8 soundtrack. To me though it's more a greatest hits of Mario IP music and not it's own thing entirely. Still it's top notch stuff.

@thePlinko
I also really like the SMG soundtrack. I like how the different layers of the tracks there are really well designed. The Wind Garden track being the iconic example there. I also like how many of the SMG and SMG 2 tracks are just reimagined versions of thise same piece, using different instruments. It helps make the music feel immersive to each area though staying in the game's overall theme.

These are 5 soundtracks I like a lot. There are many more I also like a lot but I had to cut it down to 10 as not to go on forever.

Persona Dancing
Specifically Persona 3 Dancing and Persona 4 Dancing. I really like those two quite a lot. As the remix their original soundtracks so well. P5 Dancing is equally as good, I just feel the P5 source meterial is the weakest of the three. All three have a total different sound though. All based on their source material.
P3 - Hip Hop/Rap
P4 - Traditional popular music and some slower folk-ish music
P5 - Electronica/Dance/Techno/Electropop
This all makes sense as they are following the trends of what was popular at the time.

Terranigma
To me this is the best music put out on the SNES. They took total advantage of the sample based SNES music hardware to get in more layers than ordinarily possible with chiptune music. They just sampled a few layers which each were a few layers fused together into a single layer. Also huge effort was put into the composition of each piece here. Just a shame that the SquareEnix merger killed off a fully worldwide release of this game.

Octopath Traveler
What I really like about this soundtrack is how the composers shose 8 different instruments and used them as the base sound for each character and their homeland areas. So when you visit an area or play a characters story, it's not only visually unique to them, it's also acoustically unique to them as well.
If you really want to understand this difference more, listen to the 8 motif tracks on the soundtrack. They do their job well showcasing the core instrument each character's music is based around. Then go listen to each character's theme music to see that instrument within a fully composed piece. Then, you have their homelands, towns, and ending music, which use less of the core instrument but it's still there.

I'll share what I feel the 8 instruments are.
Ophelia - Flute
Cyrus - Violin
Teressa - Harmonica
Olberic- Cello
Primose - Acoustic Guitar
Alfen - Saxaphone
Therion - Oboe or Clarinet
Haanit - Piano

The Quell Collection
A base soundtrack for the 4 Quell games. The soundtrack itself tells a story. What is that story? That's up to the listener to work out, but the 11 track names help with this. The answer is not one specific thing. The story is whatever you feel it is, whatever you feel when you listen to the music.
The music itself is paino and guitar based. Well it's entirely that as I don't hear any other instruments in it. I just really like this soundtrack a lot. It really speaks to me in many different ways.

Dragon Quest
Totally 100% iconic music by now. The same base music recycled for each game. The good thing is the base music is some fo the best ever composed. For me Dragon Quest 3 (go listen to the SNES version) is where the soundtrack really started taking shape. The DQ11 soundtrack is also good too, as a more refined version of it.
As an aside I quite like the Brass Quintet version of the soundtrack. Just the brass section doing it all, it has a stripped down, more simplistic sound which I like. I feel the 2nd Brass Quintet soundtrack tries too hard to be as grand as the source material and loses sight of the stripped back nature that it was originally going for. The first BQ soundtrack is solid though and I do recommend it.

To The Moon
This soundtrack's reputation is well deserved. Mostly paino based and tells the story so well. Full of emotion. I highly recommend it for those into this kind of music. Though I'd recommend even more highly, to just play the game first. It's not a visual novel, but it's close as there's very little gameplay involved, but still the story is amazing and the music really hammers home the themes of the game.
A Bird Story and Finding Paradise do have good soundtracks also. I just feel the first game (To The Moon) is the best of the three. I guess the initial impact of being the first game is why. The initial impact of it all just hit you hard but in a good way.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
To me it sounds like Monolith took what they did in the first game and dialed it up to 11. Totally over the top but in a good way. Each new area sound epic like you're part of something grand, bigger than life itself. I'm usually not partial to orchestral soundtracks, mostly because they are overused and often the wring type of music for many games. However in this case orchestral music fits in perfectly.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The game here is good but not great. However the parts of the soundtrack that matter, the songs are all top notch. It feels like the game was made around the already created songs. The lyrics really don't make that sense but that doesn't matter, as they sound fine when sung in Jap and really fit the music. I found the instrumentals of the songs and downloaded those too. I have to say they are really good too. The actual music is solid. Well compsed. It's not just the same 4 chords over and over. Though I would say having the music there does add to the experience, not just being there for the sake of it.
The stuff not in the soundtrack, ie the general gameplay music is actually pretty good also. I think more games need to be made around songs with vocals. As in not an after thought, but properly composed songs. Persona does this with some of their tracks to a lesser extent though. Songs with vocals in games that are not a total cringe fest, I think there is an open market for this and more developers should take advantage of this.
As an aside, a Tokyo Mirage Sessions dancing game would really work well. But would not sell as not many people are interested in this kind of thing. Though that's a maybe as the Persona Dancing games didn't sell well. That was because they were lasy cash cows, which were not worth their asking price. The concept people really enjoyed, just make it actually with enough content for the price and you have a hit game.

Starcraft
There's not much music here but when you are playing a mission you really feel like you are the race you are playing as. Total immersion. Also when you start campaign 2 and then campaign 3, the total different tone in music is very noticable and really helps to feel like it's a totally different part of the game. The music also totally defines what each race is. It's something that Warcraft 2 didn't have. Warcraft was just race 1 vs pallet swaped race 1. Musically similar as well. This is one of many ways how Starcraft improves on Warcraft. Even Warcraft 3 doesn't improve on this.

Tales of Phantasia
I had a few options for this last OST but I went with this one because I rarely talk about it.
The soundtrack is actually surprisingly good. Easily the best of any game in the series. This is also the best game in the series. The less said about the rest of the games in this series the better. Though getting back on topic, there's a lot to like about this soundtrack. There's no "bad" section of the soundtrack. It's all solid music which does fit in well with the story.
Not my favourite soundtrack ever but it's solid, a few of the pieces here are very well done and as a whole it tells the story very well. Well worth lisening to.
I totally would play P5 if I was able. Looking back, though, it probably didn’t deserve that high a spot; I’ve hardly heard anything from it, only a few songs I really like.
Also, not sure what you mean about MK8. All the best songs in the game are mostly original, minus some leitmotifs and whatnot.

I totally would play P5 if I was able. Looking back, though, it probably didn’t deserve that high a spot; I’ve hardly heard anything from it, only a few songs I really like.
Also, not sure what you mean about MK8. All the best songs in the game are mostly original, minus some leitmotifs and whatnot.
You should investigate the Persona music some more, you might really like it. It's sucks that Sega/Atlus doesn't want to release the base games on Switch.

My favourite non DLC tack music is Cloudtop Cruise. That's totally inspired/ripped off from Mario Galaxy. A lot of the tracks are like that. Very heavily inspired from their source game's material. My favourite, more original track though is Toad Harbour, but I suspect that's heavily inspired from Mario Sunshine.
The DLC stuff doesn't count obviously as that's all just throwback tracks or in the case of tracks like Mute City, Excitebike Arena and Hyrule Circut (and possibly others), taken directly from their IP's back catalogue of music.
Though overall I really like the MK8 soundtrack too. It's one of my favourites.

I'll not post a full list but I would like to mention two games I've not seen in this thread so far.

Those games are Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Hotline Miami, both of which have a similar style and fit their respective games really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom