• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Are You Doing In BOTW?

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
You found that out 'several years ago'?

How old do you think BotW is?

Uhhh... damn, well, I mean is two years still several? Guess I should have said "a couple years ago" haha!

I only found out when I was mashing the Lynel on master mode, but that was after I'd beaten 90% of the game so it felt like a crazy revelation. And two years is a lot of time to game, so it feels older than it actually is.

Grigaming335

Korok Finder
Hey! It's actually one of the single largest challenges in the game. Did you know that you don't lose weapon durability when you attack Lynel while mounted? I found that out several years ago when I decided to kill it.... BEFORE getting the glider. The only weapon I had that was any good was the Knight's Claymore you can find in a chest, and it kept breaking. Eventually I noticed that if I spammed mounting attacks, it wouldn't break...

If you want to see that video for fun, it's here! I am a bit of a hack when it comes to editing videos, but I still think it turned out pretty nice.

Best of luck on your journey!
Why wouldn’t your knight’s claymore break?

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Why wouldn’t your knight’s claymore break?

Turns out, it's a game mechanic! Mount attacks done to lynels don't deal durability damage to your weapon.

I don't know why Nintendo made it be that way, but they did! Perhaps it's to reward skillful play by making it so you don't need to shatter 3-4 weapons to kill each Lynel you come across?

I'm finally getting around to working my way through Master mode. I've freed two divine beasts- Vah Ruta and Vah Medoh, and am currently trying to board Vah Naboris. But I keep running out of bomb arrows to use on its feet because its Master mode and everything only does small chip damage.
So, ow that im out of bomb arrows, I guess im going to grind for Rupees to buy even more and try again lol

dtc

I'm finally getting around to working my way through Master mode. I've freed two divine beasts- Vah Ruta and Vah Medoh, and am currently trying to board Vah Naboris. But I keep running out of bomb arrows to use on its feet because its Master mode and everything only does small chip damage.
So, ow that im out of bomb arrows, I guess im going to grind for Rupees to buy even more and try again lol
You can use double or tripleshot bows and you will have to hit each leg only once. You can just use the bows from the yiga hideout if you still have one.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Turns out, it's a game mechanic! Mount attacks done to lynels don't deal durability damage to your weapon.

I don't know why Nintendo made it be that way, but they did! Perhaps it's to reward skillful play by making it so you don't need to shatter 3-4 weapons to kill each Lynel you come across?
I could never find out how to consistently get on its back. It would rarely say “mount” for me.

Grigaming335

Korok Finder

Maybe I should use my 102 attack damage crusher then xD

I always assumed the durability wasn't lost because you don't hit them with the bladed or clubbed end of the weapon while mounted, it's the handle/hilt.

But yeah they need to be low to the ground to be mounted. Stunning them works effectively, but you can mount them after they perform a dash attack too if you're quick.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I always assumed the durability wasn't lost because you don't hit them with the bladed or clubbed end of the weapon while mounted, it's the handle/hilt.

But yeah they need to be low to the ground to be mounted. Stunning them works effectively, but you can mount them after they perform a dash attack too if you're quick.

100% this! When they put away their weapon and do the "matador charge attack" on all fours, if you're quick you can mount them as they slide to a stop!

I believe you can also do it if you hit them sufficiently during a Stasis+, as they get knocked down for a brief moment. I've never tried it though, I'm really more of a Bomb+ guy!

I take my time with completing games but have taken huge breaks from BotW too. Still my first run through and am currently farming rupees while running through areas of the map it doesn't look like I've explored much. Not sure how many of the shrines I've found but I've only found like 130 Korok seeds so far. I'm farming the rupees so I can buy the rest of the guardian gear and buy ancient arrows so I can climb into Hyrule Castle "properly", don't want to never use that stuff like I do with the Master Ball in Pokemon, feels like a waste. I've beaten the beasts, wish I'd gotten Revali's Gale first cause it's by far the most helpful imo, makes travelling so much quicker.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I take my time with completing games but have taken huge breaks from BotW too. Still my first run through and am currently farming rupees while running through areas of the map it doesn't look like I've explored much. Not sure how many of the shrines I've found but I've only found like 130 Korok seeds so far. I'm farming the rupees so I can buy the rest of the guardian gear and buy ancient arrows so I can climb into Hyrule Castle "properly", don't want to never use that stuff like I do with the Master Ball in Pokemon, feels like a waste. I've beaten the beasts, wish I'd gotten Revali's Gale first cause it's by far the most helpful imo, makes travelling so much quicker.

100% on the Revali's Gale piece, on my latest playthrough I actually beelined straight there after Great Plateau and did Vah Medoh on 3 hearts and 1.5 stamina wheels, JUST so I could have Revali's and have an easier time approaching certain enemy camps and climbing the numerous mountains in the world! (My latest video covers this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom