• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Are You Doing In BOTW?

RTW

trying to get all 120 shrines without a walkthrough.
I couldn't do it. My last three shrines required actions first and therefore weren't detectable with the sensor.

3 actually, one is off more towards the hebra labyrinth one dead south of the shrine up there and one closer to the mountains
Thank you. I went back and clobbered the bastard. #notafraidanymore

I think I've killed all of them now at least once, except for the ones
in the castle gatehouses, which I'm hoping/assuming will yield weapons with big big strength bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
What am I missing? I've not figured out if Koroks result from doing something with
the rings of six stones sometimes found in water or the diamonds of 4 stone columns in water (though the latter often have a boulder/depression in the center hiding treasure).
I only figured this one out the other day. There is usually a bunch of rocks nearby, you have to throw one in.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Honestly, I'm just now starting the game. I got it a while back, and I got frustrated because I kept falling off the tower. I just started a New Game because I wasn't very far in and wanted to see all the intro stuff again.

I figured out why I don't know the way down the tower, though. Because the game just spawns you on top of the first tower after activating something with your tablet, and expects you to find your way down. If I'd had to climb the tower, I would have known where the platforms were. But I found them this time because someone told me to look for them, plus I found the stairs going down a place with climbable walls. Before, I was just jumping off the side at different angles and looking in vain for a warp pad or something.

I made it through the Oman Au shrine, and managed to get some kind of magnetic power. That's a good addition to the game, too. I always thought Zelda needed more magnetism-based abilities. I really didn't have to fight a lot of enemies in there, either. The challenge is all in figuring out how to use the Magnet rune you get in there. If you figure it out, you can proceed. The puzzles weren't too tough once I figured out how to aim the magnet at things. It seems to involve moving the controller itself around.

After getting through there, though, I ended up playing around in the forest getting Opals from some treasure chests by attacking tribes of kind of red monster that drops Boko clubs. I also learned about cooking. The Old Man really wasn't much help, it seems like he basically told me to stick pins in the map to keep track of where I've explored and where I'm going, but didn't really tell me where to go.

Also, the weapons I'm finding are low quality stuff like Boko Clubs and Rusty Broadswords. They keep breaking, and I have to keep worrying about switching to a new one. Cooking was really tough to figure out, because they don't give you directions at all... I had to figure out manually pretty much to light the torch under the pot, and go into my inventory screen to put ingredients in my arms, and then drop them while standing in the right spot. There is seriously no hand-holding or direction in this game at all.

I hope that it's just a steep learning curve, and that I don't feel this frustrated with the game later on. Although to be fair, I think that's because I'm spoiled to ALttP and OoT-style Zelda games that have been a lot more forgiving and helpful up to now. This is like a confusing and difficult NES game with better graphics and modern mechanics/controls. Honestly, it reminds me so much of the original LoZ on the NES, perhaps with new life breathed into it by cues taken from Elder Scrolls and Assassin's Creed. I suppose they had to shake up the formula eventually. I just hope I can learn to like it. I want to like this game, because I've been waiting for it so long.

RTW

Honestly, I'm just now starting the game. I got it a while back, and I got frustrated because I kept falling off the tower.
Hi and welcome. It is amazing to hear the perspective of someone who's just starting out, as many of us have been playing for a month or two and take a lot of these things for granted.

I have to admit that your first sentence made me chuckle because I thought you were joking. But mostly I'm just envious of your raw sense of what the game is going to be and how much experimentation it takes in the very beginning just to learn things. I think I've been so comfortable with the game mechanics for so long now that I've forgotten I once was that guy running around the plateau with just a tree branch, a worn out shirt, and some apples.

My advice is to stay with it. The game just gets better and better and you absolutely WILL learn everything there is to learn. It will astonish you how many things seem impossible now but will eventually be easy.

Edited to add: But be careful with these threads. You don't want too much spoiled for you. The #1 best feature of the game is the sense of awe that comes from discovery. If you know too much of what to expect, it won't be as fun for you.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Still playing my second game, doing some Guardian/Lynel hunting to upgrade some gear. Took out my first silver Lynel on this save :)

Honestly, I'm just now starting the game. I got it a while back, and I got frustrated because I kept falling off the tower. I just started a New Game because I wasn't very far in and wanted to see all the intro stuff again.

I gotta say it's refreshing to see a newcomer's experience in the thread :) I will admit that I learned a great deal of starter stuff from the demo videos online months before the game released. There was still plenty for me to learn and discover, but I knew some of the things to expect from the plateau. You're having the purer experience, going at it with no prior knowledge, just learning as you go, and I kinda envy you :) Yes, the game is tough in the beginning, there's a steep learning curve, and you're going to feel overwhelmed a lot. However, you will find with time that you get better at it. The really challenging stuff will be things you can learn to go around until you feel ready to take it on, and believe me, you will get ready for it eventually.

I'm on my 5th file, (I'm attempting Ganon with 3 hearts and no divine beasts) and killed 4 red Lynels (they could 1 shot me) and got the Knights horse saddle and bridle.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Trying to find all treasure chest and korok seeds in Hyrule Castle. I think I'm 98% done at Hyrule castle. All enemies are dead. All watchers are killed and I stocked my inventory with tons of guardian stuff. But I'm not leaving till I found everything. Only one korok seed left (in the Castle) and maybe two or three treasure chests to go.

I just beat Ganon, and it was totally awesome! It was also unplanned. I had the Master Sword, 2 full stamina wheels, 14 hearts and I had done 3/4 divine beasts finished, and my final one (Vah Medoh) I had activated but I hadn't done it yet. I was planning to finish up a bunch of side quests, do some more shrine hunting and find all the memories, then do Vah Medoh and then Ganon. I went into Hyrule Castle looking for the memory in there, ended up finding the Hylian Shield instead, then kept searching the castle for the memory. I beat the lynel in a gatehouse and then I started swimming up the waterfalls, hoping I would find the memory, but instead I ended up in the room where the boss fight starts. I was super shocked and wasn't sure I would be able to defeat Ganon. Since I hadn't fought him yet, I had to fight Windblight Ganon first. Beat him fairly easily, then the boss fight with Calamity Ganon started. It wasn't overly hard, but it was fairly challenging and a lot of fun. Then there was Dark Beast Ganon. He was pretty easy but fairly fun. I don't know what I am going to do now. I might go ahead and stay on the same file, complete all the side quests i'm on, do Vah Medoh and do some more shrines, but I feel like starting a whole new file and reliving all the joy I had from playing the game. If I make a new file I will probably do everything in a different order, and I plan to, well, not 100% it, but do all dungeons, all memories, a fair amount of shrines and a good number of side quests.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
All I am doing right now is gathering enough ancient shafts to get the arrows, shooting guardians in the eye, then gathering more ancient shafts. Over and over and over again. Trying to avoid Hyrule ruins because they are depressing and I don't want Link to get SAD. Sometimes I give up and go horseback riding until I hit and area that is too cold then I run around and try to find that eastern tower in the mountain until I die because I can't be bothered to cook any food that grants cold resist.

Yeah I'm good at this game.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Doing more sidequests. I think I found everything in Hyrule castle and now I'm hunting the Lord of the Mountains. I'll wait for that sucker to come out of hiding. I'm at his spot now. I ran into him before and had no freaking clue HE was the LotM!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I have a new blue flame experiment in the works. Next is to light up the Thyphlo Ruins with blue flames from Akkala. Same basic route from the time when I took a flame to Hebra, but shorter. Hopefully weather isn't as much of a problem this time. Gonna kill time in Akkala's labyrinth until the next blood moon so I don't have to worry about getting one en route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom