• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are the Top 3 Most Overrated Games of All Time?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like FPS' as well (I honestly DID enjoy CoDBlops when I had a 360), it's just that I'm tired of how the companies behind modern day FPS play their cards. They only put effort into the online play, they don't care about offline gamers whatsoever. That's a problem with a lot of games not just the FPS genre, but it's most prominent there.

BigBig

Who needs a shield?
Maybe so, but it's a good Mario rip-off.

Keep in mind that every game was inspired by something else, but just some games don't really change much, thus resulting in a rip off. I think Sonic has enough originality for it to be considered original.

Also, I don't think Oot is that overrated. People are just blinded by nostalgia, and don't mention the bad parts.
imo:
1)COD

That's all I can think of right now.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Call of Duty, Halo, and Sonic the Hedgehog. C'MON, IT'S JUST A MARIO RIP-OFF!!!
Sonic hardly feels like a Mario rip, granted the gameplay is similar between the two but I think there are enough differences in Sonic to keep it away from Mario. For one, Sonic has had a noticeable decline in stature ever since it got new voice actors (4Kids, Jason Griffith, etc.), while Mario hasn't had a single 'bad' game yet (not including games like Hotel Mario, and even those were good because I HOPE SHE MADE LOTSA SPAGHETTI!).
Also, I don't think Oot is that overrated. People are just blinded by nostalgia, and don't mention the bad parts.
I don't know, I genuinely tried to find some serious flaws in OoT, but really I couldn't find any that were worth talking about. I mean, there were some like lack of antialiasing in a lot of areas (meaning there were easily seen jagged edges), but that's due to the N64 not being so strong. I tried to find a flaw in the combat system, there isn't one because if you are having problems with L/Z Targeting, you can change the setting to Hold rather than Switch so that you won't continually switch between a rock and the enemy. And I tried to find a flaw in the items, but they all work as expected. There are glitches present in the game, but they have become so useful that those aren't even flaws (see: Megaslide, Chu Hovering, ISG, DoT Skip, etc) and serve for entertainment purses (example, for TAS runs). As far as I'm concerned, OoT is the closest game in history to perfection. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty close.

1: Yeah, CoD. I loved CoD4, cod 5 was alright but the multiplayer the same of 4 but in WWII, mw2s multiplayer was broken as hell but had good characters and story(until the betrayal;I mean come on) BO got really boring but had a nice story. I blame Activision, making DLC 15$ for 5 maps, focusing the story on just violence to appeal to the male audience, etc.
2: ...Majora's Mask. (Don't kill me!) While the story defanatly broke the mold, I just dont see what everyone is talking about great character development. Anju and Kaifei(cant spell the name)? I didnt feel anything. I dont know. The game just never got to me like OoT or WW did. Oh well.
3: I really cant think of another one lol sorry.(sorry about the horrid grammer, im typing this on an ipod.)

What? Hold on, no single player at all? Modern Warfare 2 had probably my 3rd or 4th favorite single-player campaign of any FPS! Don't judge if you don't know what you're judging. Halo 3's campaign still trumps any FPS's campaign imo. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, single-player campaigns in FPS's (not all of them, though) are just as good as they were 15 years ago (imo), it's just that most people (not me) automatically flock to the multiplayer. The game developers do not like this any more than you do. In the beginning of Modern Warfare 2, if you select Multipayer before playing the campaign, a notice pops up saying they highly recommend playing the campaign first. The multiplayer is just mindless shooting, but some find it fun (I know it's not for everyone). Anyway, I hope to have made my point clear.

You have not lived until youve played any Half Life game.
THAT has a great campagain(then again, it only has single player, but whatever.)

B

BuuHuu21

1. Ocarina of time
I only played through two dungeons. I think the people overrate it becuase of the nostalgia. I played it the first time on Wii, and it was good, but it is not the best game ever made...
2.Super Mario 64
I´m a big fan of the Mario games. It was the first 3D-Mario, but the older games, like Super Mario World, are much better. All in all it is a good game, but not more.
3. Super Mario Galaxy
There are a few magazines in Germany, which gave this game a rating of 99%. That´s overrated. The sequel was much better, but it doesn´t get a rating of 100%... Like Ocarina of time: It is a good game, but not the best game for Wii.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, Super Mario Galaxy 2 dethroned Ocarina of Time on GameSpot (I believe it was GameSpot) for a while as highest rated game. Then OoT got it's place back a couple months later.

I posted earlier and want to establish that i like FPS but hate CoD's style. The only CoD i can stand is CoD4. Some FPS i like are Halo 1,Halo 2, Golden Eye 007, and Perfect Dark. and

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
Alrighty I thought i'd post my thoughts on this so here we go.

Number 3: Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2). I put both of these together because I feel like they both weren't all that great. I was never a big fan of either and could never see what all the hype was about. If this list was longer I would separate them but its only the top 3 :P

Number 2: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This game is one of the most played games ever. It is one of the only games I've seen that were released years ago and are still at full price. I don't think this game is really great, it's just a shooter, nothing more.

Number 1: Final Fantasy VII *gasps*. Now don't get me wrong, I love Final Fantasy, but this game never did it for me. Sure it was revolutionary but not much more. People call it the best Final Fantasy but I disagree. I think all the SNES Final Fantasies are better than this one. I just never really got into this one.

So thats my list, sorry if anyone disagrees. And on a side note, I haven't posted in a while :P

My hatred for the Call of Duty series is a tad biased. I've played a good amount of Modern Warfare 1, 2, World at War, and Black Ops and they're all decent 7/10 games, but my problem just lies mostly with the fanbase. Everyone I've talked to at my school thinks it's the greatest game ever created and I'm simply bashed for not playing it and playing other "gay" games such as Zelda, Animal Crossing, Tales, etc. The Call of Duty games have created an ignorant, narrow-minded, and generally mean video game stereotype and fanbase. I realize not everyone who plays CoD is mean, but the majority of the fanbase is just awful and the games are just good, not great. (In my opinion at least...)

Garo

Boy Wonder
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (the entire series) - Can't stand it. I played the original, and the multiplayer was generic shooter that had experience to suck people in, and the single player was a long hallway that led to a white dot, and when you get there, the hallway turned a different direction and you kept going, shooting people all the while. Boring game. I returned it within two weeks of buying it.

2. Halo - See criticisms above. The first game was a very good game and undoubtedly the best early Xbox title. Everything beyond that was your typical shooter stuff with a story that just screamed "lol we have no ideas let's just see how much BS they'll buy".

3. Grand Theft Auto - I do not see the appeal of driving around a city doing criminal things. I guess a lot of people have some deep dark desire to actually do these things and GTA provides them a legal, risk free way to experience that? Yeah, no desire to do any of that stuff here, so the game is just not interesting for me.

HOWEVER - I do like shooters and freeform games. Fallout, Oblivion, Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, L.A. Noire - all of these are excellent games. I am not anti-shooter; I simply dislike the two most popular ones.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Tope Three? Hmmm....
3) Ocarina of Time - I may love this game, but people hype up waaaay too much about it. Still, nostalgia can be a nice thing, so it's somewhat understandable.
2)World of Warcraft - While it can be fun for a little while, it's so repetitive, and not just for like an hour or so, but for several hundred hours.
1) A Link to the Past - Well, I'm sure everyone knows this is by far my least favourite Zelda game, so perhaps I'm biased. I still think this gets too much praise though.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2: Same thing as SMG but with yoshi.
2. Super Mario Galaxy : Honestly, the game is fun for the first two galaxies but then its just the same thing. Over and over again.I just think it had overly repetitive levels and so little story it makes me wonder why people enjoy playing it..
3. Black Ops: honestly putting the same game out is going to bore people someday. *Goes five hundred years in the future, and picks up COD 505. and realizes he's still playing MW1*. umm... okay maybe not. Also, is it just me, or has this kind've turned into a discussion about FPS's? I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom