• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are the Top 3 Most Overrated Games of All Time?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I define an FPS as a First Person Shooter in that almost all of the combat revolves around a firearm of some sort and of course the view is first person (like in Turok Rage Wars) rather than 3rd person (like in Resident Evil 4). Fallout is an RPG, I'm pretty sure it is. Oblivion is an RPG too, or so I remember reading. Metroid is an FPS isn't it? xD

I define an FPS as a First Person Shooter in that almost all of the combat revolves around a firearm of some sort and of course the view is first person (like in Turok Rage Wars) rather than 3rd person (like in Resident Evil 4). Fallout is an RPG, I'm pretty sure it is. Oblivion is an RPG too, or so I remember reading. Metroid is an FPS isn't it? xD

The Metroid Prime games are more like first person adventures than a first person shooter. If you have played them, then you might get a better understanding, especially with Prime 1.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I know what you mean, they involve a lot of puzzles and are storydriven to a point. But, the core gameplay still feel slike a shootemup to me.

1 Super Mario Bros- great game for its time but not the best game ever.
2 Any CoD- For obvious reasons
3 Majoras Mask- Only 4 dungeons (well they were cool) but the game was too based on cdi interaction and side quests.

OoT is not super overated if gaming experts gave it a 10 when few games recieved this score. I will say it is sort of overated though, but a much better game than Majoras Mask.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
MM is overrated I will tell you that, and everyone cites it's story as being so different which makes it 'so good'. I don't disagree at all, but that's what they say.
You kidding, OoT not super overrated? Perfect 10s from almost every major publication company? That has to be overrating or I call shenanigans. Coupled with the fanbase, OoT has made Guiness World Records 2010 Most critically-acclaimed videogame of all time award, seen at the official site here.I believe it won the same award in 2008 as well though I'm not sure.

Thank you for posting something that does something besides just bash modern FPS's.

I find that even though FPS' have their share of flaws, it's not the games I hate; it's the fanbases I hate, because of how childish they are. Really, I had fun with Halo Reach, but the online sucks because all I hear are vulgarities and threats. That's the only reason I'd bash FPS', and since it's not a good reason, I won't use it.

Here is my list:
1. World of Warcraft expansions - The original WoW was great and worth devoting time too, but the expansions ruined the game beyond repair and it keeps going downhill
2. Final Fantasy X - It was revolutionary for being the first FF with voice acting, but this game was the beginning of the downfall of the FF series. I didn't like the gameplay, story, voice acting or main character.
3. Farmville - Designed to hook people and take their money

FPS these days just suck, I remember back in the N64 day where FPS meant single player shooting adventure with a story (Turok series was epic). But now, it's just online crap with no single player features at all. I mean, look at Black Ops' Offline Combat Training. We don't even get to level up whereas we can with Online CT. Oh, and player count is 10 offline CT but 12 online? What the heck?

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I think were as perfect as you can get with shooters. I never liked Turok for some reason, especially the first one which had zero story. I don't think it's fair to compare N64 shooters to modern FPSes though since so much has changed and online gaming has become a big part of videogames.

Final Fantasy VII- I loved this game, but I hate how people are always either bashing it or calling it the best game ever made. It's a great game, but I'm just tired of seeing "Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever" on every review of it.

I totally agree with you here. FF7 was many people's first Final Fantasy game, which is why it gets so much praise, but I thought 6 was better in every way. Judging by your avatar/sig it seems you agree ;)

FF7 was a legend, you don't get those graphics or cinematics everyday back in the day! And I think people were just fangirling for Cloud, I played FF7 and I wasn't too amazed though amazed I was nonetheless. By today's standards, it's far from best game ever and I believe that FF12 beats it because Vaan > Cloud in my opinion lol.

FF12 is so underrated, I hope we get another game with the same battle system. I really hated FF13.

What do people count as an fps? My one friend claims that fallout 3 is an fps rather then a rpg even though you can beat the game without firing a bullet. Or metroid prime he calls a fps despite being able to lock onto enemies and the huge amount of exploration and puzzle solving. Once even heard kids call oblivion an fps once.

I consider the Fallout and Oblivion series to be First Person RPGs. Although they have shooting elements, they're not the main part of the game.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
All right people you started another flame war revolving around the CoD series. You people have probably never even played them, yet you still judge them on thier popularity. I have played these games and they are actually fun, Ocarina of time is REALLY overrated, I played the game, and I thought it was good, but not great. Yet people put it on a pedestal of gold. You have to learn that just because a game is an fps, doesn't mean it is crap.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dude, I've played the CoD series. Didn't touch multiplayer until Black Ops, on BO I'm 4th prestige I believe around level 22 IIRC, can't check as I don't have a 360 anymore. In my opinion, CoD sucks. It gives you a multiplayer experience that is just...redone with every single new entry. They have almost no single player experience. It's ridiculous.

geek4887

The Unknown
Man, i'd have to say:
1. Final Fantasy games
2. The old sonic games
3. okay, some hate on this, but maaaybe pokemon?:cry:

All right people you started another flame war revolving around the CoD series. You people have probably never even played them, yet you still judge them on thier popularity. I have played these games and they are actually fun, Ocarina of time is REALLY overrated, I played the game, and I thought it was good, but not great. Yet people put it on a pedestal of gold. You have to learn that just because a game is an fps, doesn't mean it is crap.

ive played cod a lot and i have to say its very over rated the fan base itself treats the games like gold and trash ANY game when playing online and always say cod is better.the reason i think the game is over rated is because the game is an arcade shooter.. not a war game yet the fans treat it like it is a war game when it just has war elements.battlefield is a war simulation game and if youve played both you should see a drastic different in realism. another thing is the graphics they are terrible especialy in black ops yet the fans think there amazing. and yes i no this from fact cause the engine they use isnt very good.another thing about the game is the number of glitches and hacks the company releases a game every year and theres so much more they could do on it. the game is fun for an arcade game but its over exagerated and to me its really only worth about $30.and the single player experience is terrible ive seen the same thing over and over.yet the game gets 8s and 9s? and if you havent noticed ign themselves are biased with the cod series and compare every shooter to cod saying its not as good as cod. so the entire series is just a bunch of biased fans who havent really played very many different types to even understand what other games have to offer.not every fan is like this though ive met some people who have played a variety of different games but they dont think cod is very good but play it when they get bored.the game isnt bad its just very over rated for what it is

Metroid Prime (Wondering around and backtracking DOES NOT make the best game ever. The game was still a solid 8/10 though...)

Majora's Mask (The game gets WAY too much praise for its sidequests and "dark" tone.)

Call of Duty (Self-explanatory)

Zorato is right. People are just flaming CoD without even having played any of the games. I'm not saying CoD is as good as its popularity suggests, but the game is still a lot of fun.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I've played CoD and have been hooked on it for a while. In Black Ops, my favorite gun is Commando, perks I generally use are
Sleight of Hand, Hardline/Lightweight, and Ninja. I'm 4th prestige. I know what prestiging feels like: the first time you do it you get all excited, second time is okay, third time is meh, and every time after that it's like "why do I even bother?". The thing is though, seeing your XP bar fill up drives you unknowingly to continue shooting another team up, ragequit, capture flags B and A on Hangar 18, and laugh at all the noobs you own. That's all of what CoD is. That doesn't mean the games aren't fun (I love the game's linear replayability actually), but it does mean that they can get boring really fast and seeing the trend in the games, they won't add any REAL incentive to continue prestiging (seriously, in BO you get gold camo at like Pres14, that totally isn't worth spending days on the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom