• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are the Most Important Factors YOU Consider When Purchasing Videogame Hardware?

February 2011 marked the start of the eighth generation of videogames with the release of the Nintendo 3DS system in Japan. Other major consumer regions around the globe followed with a release the next month.

Sony followed suit by first announcing its newest handheld, then termed the NGP, at a conference during January of last year and unveiled the new name-PS Vita-as well as launch software at E3 2011. The platform released in Japan in December of last year with other regions following in February.

By the end of this calendar year, the first home console of the next generation-the Wii U will be released. The system promises to boast everything current HD gamers enjoy-support for 1080 p resolution, DLC, an amazing array of downloadable titles, movies, TV shows, and more. The cherry on top, however, is the touch screen controller.

psvitavs3ds.jpg

With both "next gen" handhelds released, a forthcoming HD console from Nintendo on the horizon, and rumors bubbling regarding imminent XBOX 720 and PS4 reveals, I would like to ask what you deem to be the most factors when purchasing new gaming hardware.

Are you in it for the power of the new controller options? Is DLC your thing and are you willing to then accept that publishers may withhold some content by locking it on the disc until later purchase? How keen are you on downloadable games and an overall strong online infrastructure?

wiiu.jpg

Given your responses above, what eighth generation systems are you keen on purchasing?

ps4xbox720.jpg

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
What factors do I consider? Well, first I make sure it is made by Nintedo, then I check if the price is reasonable. That is about it. Sony and Microsoft can go cower in a corner for the fear on Nintendo's wrath!*

*biased opinion

I consider the games that will be on it. That means I'll always go for Nintendo because of Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario (and hopefully F-Zero comes back). I would never consider Microsoft. I don't like any of the things they do with their system, and they have very few games I'd want. I respect Sony, but their controller is to small for my hands so it causes cramps, and they also have few games I want . Though I do want Shadow of the Collosus. Maybe I'll get a PS2 someday and a more comfortable controller to play it. Also, since I always go for Nintendo first, I don't have much money for the other companies.

Rare Addict

Site Staff
There are definitely a few key factors that help make my decision to buy a new console easier. DLC, online features, and graphical prowess immediately come to mind. Ultimately, though, it comes down to this question: do the games on that system interest me enough to want to go out and purchase it? That's what will determine whether or not I buy the Wii U (as well as the other two consoles) at launch.

Kazumi

chagy
Well, I haven't actually bought video game hardware in a long time. In fact, I haven't played video games on anything other than my PC for at least a couple of months, but there are a couple of factors that I take into consideration when purchasing a console or handheld.

Firstly and most importantly is that the console has the features that I want. If it has features that I enjoy or are specifically looking for, then I am more likely to get it. If the features are well implemented in a convenient and non-intrusive way than I am definitely more likely to purchase it. Unnecessary features that simply get in the way really both me. In addition to this, the GUI and usability of the device is also important. I want a smooth, clean looking GUI with quick feedback, that is easy to navigate (Fun fact: this currently doesn't exist on a console).

Secondly is obviously the games. I generally purchase a console if there are a significant number of games for it that I can't play on my PC, or the PC version is a lousy port. I want to make sure that there are a decent number of games currently out, and that will be coming out in the future that will be good enough to interest me and make me want to pay 60 dollars for them (this is also quite rare).

First I looked at what games there are that interest me. Then there is of course the price, so I can consider it when I look at the features.
Not even once have I bought a console when it just came out, because I want to read reviews. Is it easily broken? Are there system crashes or anything of that sort?
That's what I look at mostly. I don't care for features with which I can watch shows or listen to music, I can do that in enough another ways.
Of course added features are not uninteresting, DLC is... sometimes good, but in general a nice possibility.

I'm not too sure about the 3DS, yet. I won't buy a handheld just because I'm interested in one or two games, so I'll wait what games are going to be released. But it's Nintendo, so I somewhat trust it that it's not exactly trash.
The PS Vita has some really nice games, but Sony is usually overpriced and I don't know if it's worth it.

The Wii U... It will release a new Zelda game, isn't that reason enough?! ;)
Well, I probably end up getting it when it's a bit cheaper. The controls look good, the gameplay and possibilities seem exciting. And more often than not there are enough interesting games for Nintendo consoles... But I'll wait and see :nod:

Honestly, I'm not bothered about the hardware. Even downloadable content, movies and TV shows, none of that stuff really bother me. When I buy a console I buy it because there are quality games on it.

This explains it all for me. So naturally, the Nintendo console/handheld always wins as the library of games is generally superior when you look at exclusive games, and PC gaming or me destroys any console that Microsoft or Sony could release. The only time I ever really consider even buying one is when a game like Gears of War 3 comes out, and even then it doesn't really warrant buying an entirely new console just to play on one game. Steam is also a factor, since that is where I have built the majority of my game collection recently. If I can buy it on Steam, then it is more than likely going to go on sale and be cheaper than any console version at some point in time.

So for the reasons listed above, I've only bought Nintendo consoles since the GC/PS2/Xbox generation was no longer the newest.

Price, backwards compatiblity, and selection of video game are my main concerns when buying hardware. That being said, if PS4 really does make it impossoble to play used games I will NEVER buy it.

Price, exclusive titles that company may have that I would care about, online functionality and possibly control scheme if it's distinctly different from the ''norm'' (like the Wii) are some of the things I consider. Honestly I very rarely purchase a game console near launch since there usually isn't a ''must have'' title for me. I wait until a console builds up a few games I would want and possibly a price drop before taking the plunge.

It's also worth mentioning I am extra cautious about being an early adopter of unproven hardware since the Xbox 360 ''Red Ring of Death'' disaster. God, I hope that crap never happens again. I'll let the millions of other consumers be my guinea pigs on that one so I don't get burned again :P

MW7

Whether Zelda is an exclusive title on the system so that kind of makes it an easy decision every time. It doesn't exactly explain how I ended up with an Xbox 360 as well but that's just a mystery.

All I really care about is the games. And, since the only steady series that I really still like are Zelda, Mario and Super Smash Bros., I'm pretty heavily biased toward Nintendo consoles.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I make sure there's a game exclusive to that console that I desperately want to play before I purchase a new console, lol. If there isn't any, I have no use for it (which is why I haven't owned a playstation in the past decade - none of the games exclusive to PS interest me).

After all, it's not like I desperately NEED another gaming system. I do fine with the ones I already have. I asked for the x-box for Christmas in my teens because I desperately wanted to play the Buffy game which was exclusive to X-box (at that time I already owned N64 and a PSone, so it wasn't like I was starving for games, lol). I upgraded from X-box to the 360 because I desperately wanted to play Fable 2. I purchased a Wii because I desperately wanted to play Twilight Princess. I bought my 3DS because Occarina of Time 3DS was coming out.

Right now I can't see the need to add another gaming system. The ones I have work well, I have plenty of games to enjoy. But should there come another system where I desperately want to play a certain game that can only be played on that system, then I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying it.

When I buy it, however, is mostly determined by price, lol

I buy the ones with good console exclusives. Unfortunatly, I love Uncharted, Halo and Zelda and Metroid, so I have to end up buying all three.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
A mixture of power and good games. I really liked the Wii. But with the lack of power and only a hand-full of great games, it became a disappointment.

I'm really hope the Wii U will be packing some power. I will spend $600 on a Wii U if I have to. But I'll still get it if it's weaker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom