• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS What Are the Common Complaints About MM Anyway?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Same thing with MM, once you understand how you save, it is the simplest thing in the world! LOL

Quit being a fanboy for a second and accept the fact that Majora's Mask was very limited in terms of tech. While saving itself is easy, it's a huge pain in the *** and requires you to start over. In the middle of getting the Zora eggs? Too bad. You can't save your game, you can only pause because saving it requires you to lose all your progress...which defeats the purpose of saving.

Salem

SICK
The save system in OOT requires mastery. You got to be able to actually figure out that you have to press save, to save ...

Same thing with MM, once you understand how you save, it is the simplest thing in the world! LOL

So again, stop blaming the game for your own shortcoming!

AHAHA!
OoT's save system does not require mastery, you just press B when you pause.

Last edited:

Sheik

:the:
I never quite understood the complaints about Majora's Mask's save system. If you need to quit playing, but don't want to lose all of the progress you made in that three-day time sequence, just find an owl statue and perform a quicksave. Then, when you're ready to go back to playing, you can start right back where you dropped off. Sure, the whole system of quicksaving with owl statues is a bit faulty in and of itself, being a quicksave and all, but it's not horrible.

DarkestLink

I never quite understood the complaints about Majora's Mask's save system. If you need to quit playing, but don't want to lose all of the progress you made in that three-day time sequence, just find an owl statue and perform a quicksave.

This is worthless. I save because I want my data to be protected. Honestly, if I wanted to take a break, I could just pause the game.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I never quite understood the complaints about Majora's Mask's save system. If you need to quit playing, but don't want to lose all of the progress you made in that three-day time sequence, just find an owl statue and perform a quicksave. Then, when you're ready to go back to playing, you can start right back where you dropped off. Sure, the whole system of quicksaving with owl statues is a bit faulty in and of itself, being a quicksave and all, but it's not horrible.

I very rarely rage at games, but playing Majora's Mask was one of those experiences. I had just gotten the goron mask and fire arrows and was going to tackle the rest of the dungeon when the power went out, and I lost all that progress. It's one thing to start at the beginning of a dungeon when you quit- at least the puzzles are done and you still have the keys you found, but to make a player lose all that dungeon progress just to secure a save against things like power outages or destructive younger siblings is just stupid.

Yes, I know I should have reset time to hard save the mask and fire arrows, but I would still lose my keys and puzzle progress, and I don't think a player should have to lose progress to save progress.

If you need to go back in time because you are in the middle of a fetch quest, it just means you are poor at time management.
I would way being at the right place at the right time might be hard for some players.
And the fetch quest in the well is tedious , i also dont really care for the zora egga even with enoug bottles.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Here are some of the things people might cite as flaws in the game:
- Shorter game/less dungeons (this personally didn't bother me since they were all quality)
- Emphasis on side quests (some people loved them ; others found them as tedious)
- Steep learning curve (the game can be frustrating and confusing in your first playthrough)

That said, I love the game and it's one of my favorites, but every game has some flaws.

The save system isn't any more cumbersome than the one in A Link Between Worlds. It basically translates to playing a warp song to go to a thing and then save. And I don't see how anyone can complain about the stray fairies, unless they didn't have the Great Fairy Mask, or (even worse) are the kinds of people to just go "yeah yeah yeah I don't care whatever shut up" and mash the A button whenever a dialogue box interrupts their hamster-esque attention spans, and therefor didn't know the mask's function.

@Lady, Wouldn't a power failure wipe all your progress back to your last real save anyway? Unless you're the type of person who saves after every tiny little accomplishment (which you could be), you'd just be in the same boat.

And people who complain about the time function irk me. Of course it puts pressure on you, the world is ending. Termina is suffering from a literally imminent catastrophe. If anything, I love the time system. There is a huge contingent of newer games out there where you are supposedly facing off against some world eating Big Bad, but paradoxically, that BB is waiting for you to finish faffing about with literally every single side quest you can get your merry hands on before you deign to face them. What are they doing that whole time, having a wank? Meanwhile, that Moon gets bigger and angrier by the day. God forbid a game whose theme is "hop to it before the world ends" forces you to hurry it up a bit. The time system is more than the sum of its parts, that added tension colors how you experience everything else the game has to offer. Without it, no part of that game would have been the same.

And besides, the Inverted Song of Time and Song of Double Time are some of the easiest things to find in the game. If you didn't explore well enough to find out how to play them, then that's your own fault.

Anyway, sorry, I just had to get those off my chest. The most common complaints I've heard levied against Majora's Mask are its dungeon count, its main quest length (most people I hear from say they beat it about a day or two faster than OoT, and since it immediately followed OoT that was the most ready comparison).

Last edited:
What is your 6 Day/18 Mask run? Most people seem to have complaints about the following:
  • Saving System with Owl Statues and playing the SoT (causing you to lose multiples of any items you have collected)
  • The in-game timer and the fact that you can only manipulate time by the half-day
  • A very small amount of dungeons (Woodfall, Snowhead, Great Bay, and Stone Tower) compared to a much larger 8 (Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, Jabu-Jabu's Belly, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow and Spirit) in OoT
Here are my thoughts on the complains I have heard the most:
  • The Saving System is fine. There are plenty of Owl Statues for interim saves, and you can easily play the SoT to save as well. It doesn't require mastery. If you use an Owl Statue, and are having problems, your issue is most likely with the in-game timer, as saving with an Owl Statue does not grant you additional time when you resume. If you choose to play the SoT only because you need to save your game, and you were in the process of completing a dungeon (probably the worst time to do this) you could smash the pots/snowballs near almost every Owl Statue other than Clock Town and Woodfall to regain your arrows, magic, bombs, and a fairy, or simply roam Termina Field to collect them from grass (much faster with the Goron Mask or Bunny Hood) The Saving System is the largest complaint I have found and also the most easy to debunk. It's a very, very slight inconvenience at best, not a flaw
  • The in-gamer timer made this game what it is. If you don't enjoy the in-game timer, then you should probably play OoT instead. The in-game timer is not a large restriction. You can play the Inverted SoT or the Double SoT to manipulate time further if you are really that bothered with the normal flow of time, and these "songs" are available immediately once you have collected the Ocarina of Time
  • The relatively small amount of dungeons has been supplemented with additional masks to collect. Dungeon crawling in OoT was OK, but it is not as fun as collecting the 24 Happy Masks in MM. I feel that this is a great substitution
That being said, these complaints make much more sense if coming from someone who has never played/completed MM before. If you have completed this game before, then the Saving System and in-game timer shouldn't be a problem. As for the relative lack of dungeons in favor of collecting masks and completing side-quests, it's a matter of preference.

DarkestLink

@Timothy

The REAL problem with the save system is that it doesn't save your game. And out of all the Zelda titles, Majora's Mask is the most prone to freezing. The only version that's even remotely reliable is the VC version, but even that still has the occasional freezing.

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
I have no complaints about majoras mask, the save system was good in my opinion, because it was limiting in the sense that you only had three days and the owl save were temp saves. saving at an owl would grant you a one time save and get the dungeon done, if you couldn't get the dungeon completely done but had the item for it. The dungeon becomes rather easy to finish, even if you had to reset the three day cycle

Or you can just play the inverted song of time and you have tons of time to finish the dungeon. Not sure if this was the case for lots of other people, but I never had to restart a dungeon. Though Stone Tower had me very close, I can't totally remember but I think I was actually fighting Twinmold with the Final Hours clock on the screen. Either that or it was very close to the final hours.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I always laugh when people complain about losing items. They are literally common enough that you can just carry on questing and after maybe 5 minutes you will reclaim a full quiver bomb bag and everything else, and if you are impatient spend a cycle or two rupee grinding that will last you well through 5 or 6 cycles. And yea what @AncientPoe said is accurate you have more than enough time to complete each dungeon, when you gather a dungeon related item it stays with you so if by some strange stupidity you have to reset you still keep the gear you got from the dungeon. I love playing without the song of inverted time because it makes the dungeon SO much better.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
@Timothy

The REAL problem with the save system is that it doesn't save your game. And out of all the Zelda titles, Majora's Mask is the most prone to freezing. The only version that's even remotely reliable is the VC version, but even that still has the occasional freezing.

You can make a full save any time you want with the owl statues it just requires a bit off work and a little ritual when starting up the save.

All you have to do is copy the owl statue file that you just saved on. Then start a new file. If you fail at what you want to do delete the file you failed on. Finaly you copy the statue the file again. Repeat as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom