• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are Some Semi-Openworlds That You Feel Were Executed Well?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Lately I've been playing NieR: Automata. I'm still early in the game, only about 6 or 7 hours in, but I'm loving every minute of it. The world feels really vast to me although technically it can only be defined as semi-open, and it inspired me to pose the question: "What are some semi-openworlds that you feel were executed well?"

I can think of a few, but I want to take this opportunity to gush about Nier: Automata. So if the game is something you want to play at some point, take this as a warning for spoilers ahead.

After the prologue, which serves as a tutorial for how the game works, players immedietly go down to the first area of the game: the City Ruins. This area is pretty big in of itself, but not insanely large. I'd say it's about as big as Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, but with added verticality because of all the buildings that can be climbed. From the ruins all other areas of the game can be accessed, so it's a hub of sorts. The transition between other areas is seamless, which plays a big part in why the game feels as big as it does. If there had been loading screens creating a separation between areas, they still would feel decently sized in isolation, but I don't think the overall world would have the same feeling of vastness.

The game throws a twist with the layout and whole vibe of the City Ruins later into progression of the main quest. Just as players feel aquainted with the terrain, having probably explored most of the streets, alleyways, and rooftops, as well as knowing what to expect out of the enemies (which ones won't engage in combat, and which ones are hostile) – suddenly a portion of that knowledge needs readjustment. During a boss battle a large explosion occurs, creating a huge hole in the middle of the ruins. Most of the ruins are still intact as they were before, except for the area where the hole is, and some of the surrounding streets/alleyways that used to exist can no longer be used to traverse the area, either they are blocked or sunken in as part of the hole. For example, prior to the hole being there, it's possible to follow underneath an old overpass from the Resistence Camp all the way north to the Near Tower area. This is no longer possible like before because the hole has destroyed that pathway. The route still exists, but it takes some sprinting and jumping with the momentum of the sprint to get across the gap. A part of the overpass also remains and the top can be reached by jumping onto the limbs of a newly felled tree.

As for enemies, there are totally new enemy types throughout the ruins, they are higher leveled and tougher, and all enemies are hostile, whereas before there were some that used to not engage in combat at all unless provoked.

It's a complete flip of vibe for the area. What used to be mostly a chill portion of the world, and an easy grinding spot, becomes an area where you have to stay on your toes. It's such a simple yet effective way to make an established area freash all over again. I've still got a lot of the game left in store, and I'm excited to see what else it will offer. So far, I definitely feel the execution of this world has been done very well, and the way it feels like the world is actively changing is really cool.

What are some other games that you think nailed their worlds although they were smaller than the typical openworld game?

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Dark Souls 1 would be my pick. While far from an expansive open world, the interconnected nature of the world and the lack of loading screens really add to the feeling of it being linked together. While it doesn't have any wide open plains, it's cool to go through almost the entire game without seeing a loading screen.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Fresh in my mind since I finished it relatively recently, but I'd Yakuza 0's Kamurocho and Sotenbori are great examples of areas that are semi-open but still feel free enough and content-dense that it's never an issue. If anything, the layout and amount of things to do in a small space only adds to the vibe.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's funny you framed this post with Nier Automata, cuz when I read the thread title my first thought was "certainly not nier automata lol". Welp. :sweating: That thought came because I also just played through that game for the first time, and I can't think of the world as good for anything other than vibes and transitioning through it, because it's so darn empty for its size.

Anyway, a game I thought Did do semi-open-world well was Pokémon Legends: Arceus. The world is divided up into big open areas, but these areas are all splendidly-done. Full of life, full of things to find and do, and fun to traverse. They did an excellent job of making them feel like the size they were meant to be.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
seconding lordran, would raise hallownest as an option
It's a complete flip of vibe for the area. What used to be mostly a chill portion of the world, and an easy grinding spot, becomes an area where you have to stay on your toes. It's such a simple yet effective way to make an established area freash all over again. I've still got a lot of the game left in store, and I'm excited to see what else it will offer. So far, I definitely feel the execution of this world has been done very well, and the way it feels like the world is actively changing is really cool.
this makes me think of skyward sword so I'll give that a mention too

Seems the term is a bit loose here so I’ll just go with what I like regardless.

While I do enjoy Nier Automata for the most part, for all its bells and whistles…I find myself kind of preferring the original’s world. Just something about the simplicity of it making travel quick and easy, especially if you get the boar early on. Of course you have actual fast travel in Automata, but even so, traversal between some areas and feeling the need to warp around just feels a bit cumbersome at times in comparison.

Lospass island in Flower, Sun, and Rain, kind of hard to define since the game slowly opens up but also sort of restricts you later on in some instances. The visual fidelity isn’t great, nor is there a ton of interaction, but in that way I feel that you can visualize it how you want and the time you spend within it is that much more pure. With the amount of times you go back and forth, you’re sure to get a feel for the character of it. The music isn’t too bad either. Really hoping we’ll see something of a remake this week at Grasshoppers direct.

Maybe leaning more outright into open world territory, but I really enjoy Greenvale in Deadly Premonition, even if some part of it is just being a Twin Peaks simulator. The driving is not always the best, and the map in the pause menu orients itself to you making it all the more confusing, but it’s some of the most fun I’ve had memorizing a world within a game, especially with doing all the sidequests and it essentially being like Majora’s Mask’s clock town on a larger scale.

With that said, I think Le Carre from the sequel is just ok, but very disappointing in comparison. A bit too simple, smaller in some ways, and you just don’t have the same level of interaction with NPCs, nor does time itself matter as much unfortunately. Hate to be criticizing this one but it just goes to show how good Greenvale was.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
At the time Knights of the Old Republic, particularly Tatooine and Kashyyyk.
KotOR didn’t even cross my mind, but honestly yeah. Most of the planets in that game are top notch. Honestly I think Taris might be my favorite despite being just a tutorial planet.

As long as we’re leaving such a loose definition of “semi-open world” here, Imma say Metroid Prime. The biology of Talon IV is so in depth and varied that most of my playthroughs are spent reading every single log. Prime 2 is also pretty good about this, though 3 kinda looses that depth.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
KotOR didn’t even cross my mind, but honestly yeah. Most of the planets in that game are top notch. Honestly I think Taris might be my favorite despite being just a tutorial planet.

As long as we’re leaving such a loose definition of “semi-open world” here, Imma say Metroid Prime. The biology of Talon IV is so in depth and varied that most of my playthroughs are spent reading every single log. Prime 2 is also pretty good about this, though 3 kinda looses that depth.
Oh yeah Taris felt huge at the time! I loved being in the Under City, trying to cure Rakghoul plague. :)

Last edited:
I'd have to go with Legends Arceus, it does a really good job of making sure the level gap isn't that high, and that you can freely do anything you want without being over level to the point your Pokémon won't listen to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom