• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are some of your favourite anime openings?

First ones that comes to mind are Spyair - Sakura Mitsutsuki (Gintama), Granrodeo - Memories (Kuroko no Basket) and Flashback - MIYAVI vs KenKen (Kokkoku)

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion

Brings me back to the days when I stayed up too late even though I had school the next day desperately trying to stave off sleep to catch an episode of the English dub

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I figured it's time for me to give my opinions on this.

Because a lot of pop music in Japan uses the Royal Road progression, I hear it all the time in anime openings, and it's become equivalent to Four Chord Songs in my brain.

The Royal Road Progression is: IV-V-iii-vi.

And if you ever wanted to turn a song or composition into J-Pop, that's the way to do it.

Here's a Japanese music comedy group demonstrating it:

But I found my ears love it when songwriters and composers either break out of what's considered normal, or take a normal thing, and put their own twist on it.

So these are the anime themes that I find are the best.

Cowboy Bebop is my all time favorite anime, so it figures that its opening is at the top of my list of best anime openings.

For what's essentially a Lovecraftian story about giant mechs, this song is strangely happy. It also doesn't use the Royal Road progression. Kinda. In the bridge it does, but it's off by one chord. That bit of familiarity is a bit of genius songwriting.

I just love this opening of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the best. It perfectly captures the energy and emotions I have when I watch the show. Just pure entertainment and style.

It's catchy, and it's one of my favorite anime/manga series. So of course it'd be here.

I love this anime, but really I latched onto this theme because the artist is one that I've admired for a long time. And true to form, they deliver quite a banger of a song.

Such a great opening. :)

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Probably a really basic answer but Gurenge is a masterpiece. Lisa's vocals are incredible and the the music itself is very exciting.

I really love the Hunter x Hunter op as well, but I feel like a lot of people don't like this one as much since they played it though the entire show and it got really repetitive.

And last but not least this one is just really catchy.

Some of my recent favorites:

Frieren Beyond Journey's End OP 1:

I love how this opening does a good job balancing Frieren thinking about the past and embarking on a new journey with Fern and Stark.

Jujutsu Kaisen Hidden Inventory Arc:

This song does such a good job capturing the playful energy of the friendship between Gojo and Geto.

Trigun Stampede OP 1:

This song lived in my mind rent free for the first few months of the year. It's so catchy.

86 OP 2:

The transition to the 86 all shouting as they prepare to attack is just perfect, and the song is a banger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom