• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are Some New Gameplay Mechanics You'd Like to See in Tears of the Kingdom?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The ability to climb on and attack bosses and other large enemies. I don't mean some scripted way a la Twilight Princess, but in a more organic way like Dragon's Dogma. Give players the ability to climb on enemies and specifically target parts of the body.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I want an item system more reminiscent of a classic Zelda game. One of my least favorite aspects (among many) of BotW was the fact that you obtained nearly all of your unique items and abilities in the tutorial of the game. Everything else was just some boring dime-a-dozen weapon that you only got because “its number is higher than the one on my current weapon” or the champions abilities at the end of each dungeon that felt like complete afterthoughts and nothing more. Link feels completely static as a character in his versatility because his toolset is already as good as it will ever be within an hour of playing. Putting a rune in each dungeon alone would have made the game immensely more enjoyable IMO, even if you didn’t change anything else about said dungeons.

In the same vein, I want more unique abilities, and a lot of them. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel here, give me some classic Zelda items in addition to whatever new stuff you’ve got planned. I want to be able to walk into a cave, find a completely unique item, and have said item permanently be in my Inventory for the rest of the game as a tool that I can use to complete a task as necessary. Exploration in BotW felt completely pointless because almost nothing you found ever made you permanently more capable than before.

I want an item system more reminiscent of a classic Zelda game.

It looks like the green hand might do that. We can already ready see this reverse time ability and the merging through walls abilities so who's to say there couldn't be say a spirit hook shot or something. I just hope we get them progressively instead of all at the beginning.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
I would like it if they added a hookshot to climb around in the overworld, bring songs and musical instruments back like in previous Zelda games, and being able to pet/tame dogs or wolves so they could be a companion (maybe they could help you fight groups of enemies, or "herd" wild horses or deer/boars/wild goats for you to hunt/tame).
Made of red hand energy, right? Like magnesis. That’s what I want.

I really want Tracer-from-Overwatch levels of time manipulation, rewind, fast-forward. It won't happen, but imagine Doctor Strange-ing the BotW world into the past. Would be cool. Also maybe Dr. Manhattan Ganondorf a little; make the individual timelines more deterministic if they aren't going to commit to a linear timeline, and have Ganondorf be this tragic "I never win" figure that has just become a force of nature bent on malicious destruction. Would be cool.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
Yes, exactly! I think the red hand could be very versatile, specially when combined with the sheikah slate habilities.
And the blue hand (like remote bombs) could create remote land mines. Imagine putting some bananas on one of those in the Yiga Hideout, and then blow up the clan members who fell for the bait, and then fell in BATTLE!

I would like to optionally turn off the player icon on the map. It’s way to easy to become reliant on it to find your position in the world. Without it you’d have to use landmarks in the world to triangulate a rough position on the map. It would make you take closer note of your surroundings and probably increase the ‘I just stumbled onto this’ moments.

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
A bit more integration between the movement/climbing and the enemy encounters. The closest thing to it in BotW as it was the were Taluses, but I can't shake off a vague feeling of jankiness about them. Something approaching Shadow of the Colossus would be nice, though the climbing mechanics here might not be robust enough to allow for something quite like that, unless they're changed significantly which I don't imagine happening.

Last edited:
A bit more integration between the movement/climbing and the enemy encounters. The closest thing to it in the BotW as it was were Taluses, but I can't shake off a vague feeling of jankiness about them. Something approaching Shadow of the Colossus would be nice, though the climbing mechanics here might not be robust enough to allow for something quite like that, unless they're changed significantly which I don't imagine happening.
They have a major opportunity to do something like this considering the verticality of the map they're teasing. It'd be disappointing if there weren't any impressive fights making use of that.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
A bit more integration between the movement/climbing and the enemy encounters. The closest thing to it in BotW as it was the were Taluses, but I can't shake off a vague feeling of jankiness about them. Something approaching Shadow of the Colossus would be nice, though the climbing mechanics here might not be robust enough to allow for something quite like that, unless they're changed significantly which I don't imagine happening.

I'd be down. Dragon's Dogma was lauded for the player's ability to grab and climb atop enemies while attacking them. I just want it to be something free form. No QTEs where Lonk automatically grabs onto the enemy and then you mash their weakpoint with a sword.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've been seeing people bring up the double clawshots. I've heard that early in BotW's development they were experimenting with the double clawshots, but they decided to get rid of them because they made Link way too mobile. It sounds like they would have been very different from past versions of the item, and it could be cool to bring them back for Tears of the Kingdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom