• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are Some Good Punk Rock Bands?

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
I guess it depends on your definition of "punk", or "good" for that matter.
A lot of the bands that I like are usually labeled "post-punk".

Without getting into some long-winded rant of how annoyed I am with genre labels and how it's gotten out of control over the last 20 years I will just throw out the names of some of my FAVORITE bands that have been connected, however loosely, to the "punk" movement.

These are bands that I feel are not only good "punk" bands, but just GREAT BANDS in general!

Fugazi (my all time favorite band)
Embrace
Minutemen
Minor Threat
Joy Division
At the Drive-In
Bad Brains
The Dead Kennedys
The Descendents
Husker Du
Crass

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I guess it depends on your definition of "punk", or "good" for that matter.

The bands that I currently have on my playlist are The Blue Hearts, Social Distortion, and The Ramones. So... I guess base the suggestions on that? Also, I like Shonen Knife. But the album I wanted isn't on spotify...

Spacefiller

Wow, Shonen Knife....that takes me back.
I like a lot of the Ramones simpler stuff like Commando and Pinhead.

You might like a few of those bands I listed. I would try out The Descendents, I particularly like their Milo Goes to College album...

When a lot of people think "punk rock", they tend to think of a specific sound or formula. Most of the bands I listed tried to NOT be formulaic and were trying to distance themselves from the punk scenes from which they cut their teeth.

I've been listening to punk music for 25 years and I have a very different perspective than a lot of other people I know that say they like "punk".
I work with these people that really like Green Day and Rise against, those bands are ok I guess but not my cup of tea(Though I do like Green Day's stuff from their Lookout records days, before Dookie).

Squirrel

The Rodent King
These are what I would listen to but I think they're a little bit off from punk rock even though that's what they're labeled.

Billy Talent
Rise Against
The Offspring
Sum 41

Even if they're not quite as punk as other bands, they're still really good (:

Try Dead Kennedys, especially Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables and Plastic Surgery Disasters, though Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death is also pretty good and maybe a bit more of what people expect when they think of "punk". Minutemen is not bad, Joy Division is great, would also recommend The Vandals and maybe some of NoMeansNo's stuff.

Hanyou

didn't build that
My favorite, with their all-time classic:

Also can't go wrong with Bad Religion, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, The Ramones, and pre-Sing the Sorrow AFI.

Also, if you listen to The Offspring, pick up their self-titled album first. It's far and away their absolute best.

These are the bands I listened to in my teenage years; I don't have much experience, and I admit I was introduced to my favorite punk bands almost entirely by the first 5 Tony Hawk games. Haven't been into punk since 2004, but I still love the ones I listed.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, and All American Rejects.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of American 90's-early 2000 punk rock.

Spacefiller

The problem is that most do not understand the evolution of "punk", it means a lot of different things to different people.
It can be political.
It can be independence from corporations.
It can be anti-establishment/government.
It can be about DIY(doing it for yourself).
It can be about TFY(Thinking for your self).
It can be about attitude, or it can be about fashion.
It can be a particular musical style.

If punk to you means spikey hair, power chords , and saying Oi! Then you might only have a superficial understanding of the culture.
I'm not a big fan of the majority of the bands listed so far in this thread and would consider them the cookie cutter, watered down, corporate manifestations of what people now understand as "punk" but I hate to be all music snobby about it. People have different frames of reference, blah blah, subjectivity and all of that.

If you like it, listen to it I say.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
The Clash and the Sex Pistols. Surprised at not a single mention of either of them yet.

Those right there.

Also, some late 90's to early 2000's would be

Green Day (more mainstream, but everyone loves them)
Fall Out Boy (really only the first CD)
Anything early post-hardcore cause it has similarities to punk (check out The Fall of Troy, Dance Gavin Dance, and maybe like really early Memphis May Fire).
Also, if you like harder punk, I'd recommend Black Flag. Pioneers of the heavier style of punk rock known as Hardcore (and if you want more, the genre is actually pretty wide spread so a quick search will net some results).

That's what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom