• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are some anecdotes from your life?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
This thread is just for telling stories of interesting things that have happened in your life. They can be as short or long as you wish, and can be anything from funny to interesting. We all have stories to tell, and I’d like to hear some of yours.

I was in the Boy Scouts (if you ever have kids, try to convince them to join scouting, it’s one of the best things I ever did). And for those of you who don’t know, scouting has something called high adventure bases. These are large sites owned by the Boy Scouts that serve as a destination for scouts to do adventurous activities. I’m not talking like knot tying or other first year cliché scout things. I mean like spending two weeks in the mountains of New Mexico, hiking for around 10-50 miles a day with ~50 lbs of gear on your back.

Of the 4 high adventure bases (phillmont, northern tier, sea base, summit), I’ve been to 2. Philmont (which is a story I’ll get to on another day) and northern tier.

Northern Tier is a series of 3 bases on the border of Minnesota and Canada, or more specifically the literal thousands of lakes on said border (known as the boundary waters). At this base you spend about a week canoeing a path you planned out, Whenever you came to the end of a lake, you portaged the canoe, and your 80lb frameless bag, across a strip of land thats usually anywhere from a couple hundred yards to 2 miles long. You kept doing this until you finally got back about a week later.

This is all to set the stage for the real story, and every story needs a character. Enter Kyle.

Kyle is an interesting fellow. I could write an entire book based on things that he had done on this trip alone, but to keep it relatively brief all I will say is that he was a bit of a delinquent. A delinquent who really didn’t want to be there. The only reason he was there in the first place was that his older brother had been to a different high adventure base the year before and came back almost different person. His mother noticed this and decided to send Kyle to the next one. The problem is that the base his brother went to was a vacation compared to northern tier. Add that to the fact that his brother was a generally more likable person and you’ve got a disaster.

Still, he was a fun person to keep around, if only for the weird situations he got himself into.

Anyway, the boundary waters are protected to hell by the 2 nations, you’re legally not even allowed to have more than 9 people in a group there at a time.

Another thing that it’s illegal to do is jump off of a cliff that’s more than 5 ft tall. So naturally we jumped off of a 35 ft tall cliff (into water, of course). We took turns jumping, with my jump being nothing special. My friend jumped with his palms facing down so they came out red, and his brother had the most graceful looking pencil dive you ever did see.

And then there was Kyle...

Kyle struggled to build the courage to jump. I don’t blame him for this, I was scared too. When he finally jumped, he did so in a strange way...

Imagine sitting in an arm chair. See how your arms are resting? See where your center of balance is? That’s how Kyle jumped.

Except he didn’t land on his tushie. He landed somewhere a bit more unpleasant.

Now imagine slapping a large ham with a fly swatter. Add a megaphone to it and you have a general idea of the sound that was made as Kyle hit the water. There was no splash, no other noise, just someone yelling “yeah Kyle!” As he fell on the water in a way that would make anyone wince.

After sitting out on a nearby rock for about 20 minutes, Kyle recovered.

Luckily for us, we recorded his elegant swan dive, that clip is stored away for us to watch anytime we need a laugh. Kyle is fine with it of course, I mean it happens to all of us. His kids are gonna look like Stewie Griffin though.

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
4 1/2 feet no diving, dove anyways.

Having a 70s cop and an Emu as a partner in selling insurance is a step below or the equivalent of a cowboy who rides an ostrich, damn, now I wish there were an Isle of Misfit Ads.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Great idea for a thread!
I'll go with a little one to start, might do a longer some other time.

Once back in gymnasiet (Swedish school from 16 - 18, 3 years) me and 5 other guys were the only ones to show up for a PE class that was outdoors on a very rainy and stormy day. Our teacher was very glad that we showed up, but she said that we had to cancel anyway, as we were too few and the weather was really horrible. But because we actually showed up and no one else did, she bought us ice cream before we went back to school ^^

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
So this story needs to be prefaced with a joke.

Two guys are flying a whole gaggle of goats across the country.

Around halfway through, the plain starts failing and losing altitude, it's inevitably going to crash.

So one of the guys says, "Quick! Get on a parachute, we're ditching this thing!"

The other guy asks, "What about the goats?"

"Ah screw the goats!"

The other guy responds, "Do you think we have time?"

So keep that punchline in the back of your mind.

My family, along with my two cousins went to Las Vegas. We were staying at either Excalibur or Mandalay Bay, one of those. So he starts telling us that there's a beluga whale in Mandalay Bay. Mandalay Bay does have an aquarium, but no beluga whale. But my dad was adamant that there was.

So we spend hours and hours walking around Mandalay Bay, until my cousin suggests that since MGM Grand has some animal exhibits, that maybe the beluga whale was there.

So we walked to MGM Grand from Mandalay Bay, and spent hours walking around MGM Grand.

Long story short, we ended up walking the entire damn Las Vegas strip, arriving back at Mandalay Bay.

My dad then says, "Ah **** the beluga whale!"

My cousin then responds, "Do you think we have time?"

I met Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario. He signed my copies of Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion and he was really cool.

But then the fire alarm in the venue went off and because I was right next to him I had to leave with him down the fire escape and stand with him in the car park where we had a really good chat, he was such a lovely man and so full of life.

There were also a couple of guys from Game of Thrones hanging around but I didn't care. One of them had a cute little dog though.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
How about this one that happened this week:
I'm driving down a stretch of road that's speed limit 35 mph. I look down and I'm going 40. Just as I'm thinking "oh shoot, I should slow down a little," I drive past a used car dealership that's got a white Chevy Tahoe out front. Some of the police up here use those. I freaked out. I was so sure I was about to get pulled over.
Looking back, I'm not sure if it was for sale at that place, or if it WAS a cop and he was just letting me slide, because that stretch of road will get people going probably like 50 so maybe someone doing 5 over wasn't worth his time. Still panic inducing in the moment.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
This thread is just for telling stories of interesting things that have happened in your life. They can be as short or long as you wish, and can be anything from funny to interesting. We all have stories to tell, and I’d like to hear some of yours.

I was in the Boy Scouts (if you ever have kids, try to convince them to join scouting, it’s one of the best things I ever did). And for those of you who don’t know, scouting has something called high adventure bases. These are large sites owned by the Boy Scouts that serve as a destination for scouts to do adventurous activities. I’m not talking like knot tying or other first year cliché scout things. I mean like spending two weeks in the mountains of New Mexico, hiking for around 10-50 miles a day with ~50 lbs of gear on your back.

Of the 4 high adventure bases (phillmont, northern tier, sea base, summit), I’ve been to 2. Philmont (which is a story I’ll get to on another day) and northern tier.

Northern Tier is a series of 3 bases on the border of Minnesota and Canada, or more specifically the literal thousands of lakes on said border (known as the boundary waters). At this base you spend about a week canoeing a path you planned out, Whenever you came to the end of a lake, you portaged the canoe, and your 80lb frameless bag, across a strip of land thats usually anywhere from a couple hundred yards to 2 miles long. You kept doing this until you finally got back about a week later.

This is all to set the stage for the real story, and every story needs a character. Enter Kyle.

Kyle is an interesting fellow. I could write an entire book based on things that he had done on this trip alone, but to keep it relatively brief all I will say is that he was a bit of a delinquent. A delinquent who really didn’t want to be there. The only reason he was there in the first place was that his older brother had been to a different high adventure base the year before and came back almost different person. His mother noticed this and decided to send Kyle to the next one. The problem is that the base his brother went to was a vacation compared to northern tier. Add that to the fact that his brother was a generally more likable person and you’ve got a disaster.

Still, he was a fun person to keep around, if only for the weird situations he got himself into.

Anyway, the boundary waters are protected to hell by the 2 nations, you’re legally not even allowed to have more than 9 people in a group there at a time.

Another thing that it’s illegal to do is jump off of a cliff that’s more than 5 ft tall. So naturally we jumped off of a 35 ft tall cliff (into water, of course). We took turns jumping, with my jump being nothing special. My friend jumped with his palms facing down so they came out red, and his brother had the most graceful looking pencil dive you ever did see.

And then there was Kyle...

Kyle struggled to build the courage to jump. I don’t blame him for this, I was scared too. When he finally jumped, he did so in a strange way...

Imagine sitting in an arm chair. See how your arms are resting? See where your center of balance is? That’s how Kyle jumped.

Except he didn’t land on his tushie. He landed somewhere a bit more unpleasant.

Now imagine slapping a large ham with a fly swatter. Add a megaphone to it and you have a general idea of the sound that was made as Kyle hit the water. There was no splash, no other noise, just someone yelling “yeah Kyle!” As he fell on the water in a way that would make anyone wince.

After sitting out on a nearby rock for about 20 minutes, Kyle recovered.

Luckily for us, we recorded his elegant swan dive, that clip is stored away for us to watch anytime we need a laugh. Kyle is fine with it of course, I mean it happens to all of us. His kids are gonna look like Stewie Griffin though.
I also went to boundary waters for a high adventure trip with my scout troop, definitely one of the best weeks of my life

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
A few years ago I took some Japanese exchange student friends with some of my Aussie friends together on a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back. We stopped at a different national park each night to do camping and experience the wilderness along the way. Seeing sunrises on the beach and seeing kangaroos and other wildlife up close and the like.

At one particularly remote area without phone reception or hospital nearby we camped for a night. During that afternoon we found a stream and got in and swam/walked up it for a while which was pretty cool - though I slipped on my ass a few times I’m lucky I didn’t get hurt. Just before getting into the tent for bed later that night I got bitten on the hand by a spider and because we’d all been drinking we just decided to wait it out and see if I’d be alright - thankfully it mustn’t have been too dangerous because aside from being painful on my hand there wasn’t a great deal of other effects and I was fine by the morning again. Despite this it was a great trip and I look forward to doing more road trips again some time in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom