• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are 5 must play NON-Nintendo games?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Since we're all here in a video game forums, it's safe to say we're pretty into this hobby, at least as far as Zelda is concerned. But there are tons and tons of games out there, and as such, what are 5 games that you think anyone who's into games should play that are NOT Nintendo first party games. I say this b/c it's really easy to point to Mario or Pokemon games or whatever, so let's think a little outside the box. Though its fine if a game was on a Nintendo system and maybe even published by Nintendo, it just can't be any of it's big IPs.

1) Sonic Mania-Best Sonic game ever made. The level design is flawless, and the physics are the best they've ever been.

2) Mega Man 2-A timeless classic. Level design that encourages exploration of ideas thanks to the varied weapons, an excellent soundtrack, etc. You can also switch this with Mega Man 9. They're both tied for best Mega Man game IMO, atleast when it comes to the classic series.

3)Red Dead Redemption-The sequel was terrible, but RDR1 was fantastic. It really felt like you were playing as a larger than life gunfighter, and the story was pretty good to boot.

4) Shovel Knight-An excellent platformer that takes the level design seen in many NES games and nails it, maybe even improving it in some ways.

5A) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest /Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze-These games are debatably not first party Nintendo games due to being developed by westerners, so I included them as option A depending on your opinion of what counts. Both games are some of the best platformers ever, with DKC2 having incredible secrets and TF having creativity through the roof. Play these games.

5:cool: Cyber Shadow-This game captures the essence of the NES Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Ryukenden games while improving upon it in countless ways, such as having great vertical level design in addition to horizontal, great physics, awesome bosses, etc. PLAY THIS GAME. It's so underrated. OST is great, too.

Too bad we're limited to five; there's so many great games like Katana Zero, Mega Man X8, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, etc. that deserve praise.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Too bad we're limited to five; there's so many great games like Katana Zero, Mega Man X8, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, etc. that deserve praise.
honorable mentions are welcomed too

had to think but here's what I got:

1. Pac Man and/or Ms Pacman - Even if for just the historical aspect, it's so ingrained into pop culture that I feel it should be played by mostly everyone at some point
2. Metal Gear Solid - It showed the potential of what cinematic stories can be in video games and is backed up by an equally engaging stealth gameplay; The Twin Snakes can also work in this place in my opinion
3. Shadow of the Colossus - Traveling these big, wide open landscapes to fight larger than life colossi is something any video game enthusiast should play to feel for themselves. Also shoutout to Ico that was made a couple years prior by the same team.
4. Super Castlevania 4 - I think one of the easier Castlevanias to get into due to the versatility of the whip, and to me strikes a great balance in difficulty, where its hard but almost never unfair, it's a matter of skill that any can achieve
5. Chrono Trigger - RPGs may not be everyone's thing, but this game has so many things going for it and so little flaws that makes it one of the best 16 bit experiences out there

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
1. Dark souls
Seriously, it's on the switch, it's a masterpiece, it goes on sale constantly, what's your excuse? Inspired by zelda, if you love the games you need to give dark souls its due diligence.
2. dark souls again I'm serious shovel knight
Another masterpiece status, plus it has SEQUELS
3. Hollow knight, I guess
I actually dont know how widely regarded this game is, but it may very well be yet another masterpiece. You can read my review of it on my blog, but the long and short of it is that the developers are very good at their jobs
4. LEGO star wars the complete saga
Definitely masterpiece tier but I'm assuming everyone has already played this game and agrees
5. Uncharted?
I've only just begun tackling the nathan drake collection and while the first game has pretty huge blemishes I'm told the series improves on these flaws. Other than that, uncharted is just the phenomenal story driven gameplay that draws me to zelda and other games like it, could be a masterpiece

Honorable mention: pokemon mystery dungeon, because it's not nintendo and for some reason the mystery dungeon games are largely overshadowed by the mainline games despite being Actually Good Games, unlike a majority of pokemon

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Hmm... I'll go ahead and name some games and some entire series XD

1. Sly Cooper series for the Playstations 2 & 3. First three games in the series is on the PS2 and the fourth one on PS3. Us fans of the series are hoping it will continue some day, but currently it's in limbo...

2. Ratchet & Clank series. Another Playstation series, but this one is still alive! Great sense of humor in these games!

3. World of Warcraft. Only if you've got the time and money for it though. I've been playing it since 2006, and while I don't really have the time for raiding and such anymore, I still like doing quests, achievements and play through the story!

4. Heave Ho on Nintendo Switch. Incredibly hilarious game to play with your friends! Laughing fits for days!

5. Lunar Legend. It's an RPG-game for Gameboy Advance, but I think it's a remake of an even older game. I remember playing it when I was a kid, and a couple of years ago I bougth a copy of it and played it again. Not as difficult for me as an adult, but very nostalgic and a good game!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
5. Lunar Legend. It's an RPG-game for Gameboy Advance, but I think it's a remake of an even older game. I remember playing it when I was a kid, and a couple of years ago I bougth a copy of it and played it again. Not as difficult for me as an adult, but very nostalgic and a good game!
the catch there is the gba version is considered one of the lesser versions of Lunar, the PSP or PS1 version would be a better bet

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC - This is easily one of the best games I've played and an easy recommendation for anyone remotely interested in RPGs. The writing is excellent, the gameplay is fun, and the music is phenomenal. While I do think SC is the better game, they should be played in order. FC is the place to start. It's what really made me a Trails fan.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Hard to pick any other FE game as an introduction to the series. Three Houses is really the best entry point, apart from Path of Radiance (shame that it's so expensive, although emulation is pretty easy to get set up anymore) or the original FE on the GBA. I love FE anyway, but Three Houses is a great game even for those who don't already love the series. Definitely worth playing, IMO.

3. Rune Factory 4 - Another one of my favorite games of all time. A great, varied gameplay loop with lovable characters and a great atmosphere. Easily something I could recommend to someone who games more casually and even to those who don't.

4. AM2R - Kinda cheating here since Metroid is a first-party Ninty IP, but this is a fan game, so I'll mention it. Made by fans who adore the series, you can really feel how that translated into the effort put into AM2R. It's a far better game than it's official counterpart, and I can't recommend it enough.

5. Ghost of Tsushima - Eh, you could say it's a bit early in my playthrough (about 30 hours so far) for me to recommend this game, but I will anyway. It's the BotW of the PS4, IMO. The gameplay, story, and overall atmosphere are fantastic. The last open-world game I spent a lot of time playing was BotW and this fills that same kind of satisfying gameplay loop/style that it did. Actually, there's several things it does better than BotW as well. Combat, story, tone, visuals, etc. Anyway, yeah. It's a fantastic game.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
1. Red Dead Redemption II - Recently finished it myself and I never thought they could top the first one after it won someone like me over who was never into westerns, in such a big way that I even checked out the classic western Dollars Trilogy with Clint Eastwood. It's still one of my favorite games to date and while I recommend playing the first one as it provides context for key moments and informs much of what you'll be doing in the epilogue of the 2nd game, if you only had to play one, then it's easily Red Dead Redemption II.

It's Rockstar's magnum opus, plain and simple. I never thought another game could blow me away like Breath of the Wild did this soon, yet Red Dead Redemption II completely blows it out of the water with its beautifully detailed world that's both expansive and varied and its immersion that is unrivaled by just how alive the world and its NPCs are as well as its extremely deep mechanics and animations that further immerse you into the role of the character.

It's a true masterclass in storytelling and easily Rockstar's best story with possibly their greatest protagonist and cast of characters. Never thought I'd say that after the attachment I had to John Marston and his story from the first game, but it's well earned even long before the credits roll.

Games that stick with you the way these games have are rare, and Red Dead Redemption II is everything the first one was and way more. It's not even close and anyone who loves and appreciates video games as a legitimate form of art and storytelling owes it to themselves to play Red Dead Redemption II because it's truly an achievement in gaming.

2. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - The REmake of the original Resident Evil that ushered in the era of survival horror is still unmatched. It is a survival horror masterpiece that not only understands what made the original work, but also improved on just about every aspect of the game and set a new standard for the series itself which unfortunately chose to go in a different direction that would ultimately shape the series for the next 2 decades.

Horror games aren't for everyone, especially the classic kind, which are a lost art with their fixed camera perspective and trial and error nature that requires the player to get better at navigating and using/saving resources in order to progress more efficiently. That's why I'm recommending the 2019 remake of the iconic sequel, which comes the closest to the brilliance of the first REmake, but with modern gaming conventions that make it far more accessible to all gamers.

The truth about survival horror games, or the classic Resident Evil games in particular, is that they're not scary. They're metroidvanias by design and work just like a giant puzzle would. This is why each game grades you at the end, because you can become better at the puzzle. Skip a few steps, navigate better, and finish in record time.

I wish more people could look past the atmosphere and intimidating encounters and see the series this way and stop using being afraid as an excuse to not try these type of games. Yes, horror games aren't for everybody, but if they were to try just one and understand why people actually like traditional classic horror games from the past and not the cheap VR walking simulators they've been turned into today, then they can't go wrong with Resident Evil 2 REmake.

3. Tomb Raider (2013) - The 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider is massively underrated and often in the shadow of the very franchise it originally inspired. Most people like to cite Uncharted when they think of modern adventure games and I find that rather unfortunate. Uncharted is an action game about a man who goes on an adventure, not an actual adventure game. It's much too linear and focused on being a cinematic gaming experience, which is why it's such an excellent series, but the false comparisons between the two series and "rivalry" between its fans is very unwarranted.

Tomb Raider definitely borrows from the Uncharted series and to good effect, but it's got more in common with traditional action/adventure games that it's actually more of a modern metroidvania than it is an Uncharted "clone." It's no different from the Batman Arkham series, which I'd also strongly recommend, but Batman or superheroes in general might not be everyone's cup of tea, so you'd think Uncharted fans at the very least would be interested in giving a game like Tomb Raider with its similar ideas and mechanics a try.

Uncharted is by far the more popular franchise these days, but Tomb Raider is definitely the more rewarding experience with far more engaging mechanics, a character progression system, exploration, hunting, and puzzle solving, all with the explosive cinematic action of an Uncharted game. I can see how the more casual gamer might prefer the simplicity and straightforwardness of the Uncharted series, but any serious gamer would be robbing themselves by not playing Tomb Raider.

4. Streets of Rage 2 - Beat 'em ups have got to be the easiest games for anyone to pick up and play and were practically made for co-op. But what sets Streets of Rage 2 apart from most arcade beat 'em ups, whether it be Ninja Turtles, X-Men, The Simpsons, and whatever other popular IP from the 90s that were milked into arcade machines is that it's not an arcade game at all.

Being developed for the home console, the goal of Streets of Rage wasn't to steal your quarters with cheap enemy A.I. and a basic moveset that amounts to you just pressing the same 2 buttons repeatedly until you die. Streets of Rage 2 rewards strategy and skill and combat is actually tactile so you know when your hits are connecting, unlike in the arcade games.

Combat is also really reminiscent of fighting games like Street Fighter, with character movesets being greatly expanded by directional inputs but streamlined for a refined beat 'em up experience. Each of the four playable characters also have their own unique strengths and movesets, making your approach to certain combat situations vary from character to character.

The beat 'em up genre has been going through a bit of a resurgence as of late, and they're guaranteed fun with friends and there's no better game to start with than Streets of Rage 2 if you not only want to have fun, but also enjoy a legitimate gaming experience with a friend, which could open the door to many more experiences and maybe even be the perfect gateway to the fighting game genre.

5. Sonic Mania - I've been struggling to come up with a 5th game I can properly justify, but since it's already been brought up, I'd say I agree with Sonic Mania.

Sonic is a franchise that has long lost its way and is now remembered for all the wrong reasons that have left some people even questioning whether Sonic was ever really a legitimate rival to Mario as his games were never actually all they were cracked up to be.

As a longtime scrutinizer of the series, I'm inclined to agree that Sonic was never truly a rival to Mario's consistently high quality outings, but I strongly disagree with the notion that Sonic was never good as there's a reason why the blue hedgehog has been so persistent for all these years despite often missing the mark and even the point of what made Sonic the phenomenon that it was.

It took some time, but Sonic Mania finally reminded the world why Sonic the Hedgehog was special by going back to where it all started and applying all the lessons learned throughout the years to finally put Sonic's brilliant level design where speed is a reward and momentum is key front and center. Sonic may not be Mario's rival and truthfully, never was, but what he offered to the platforming genre cannot be understated and is still uniquely his own, and it doesn't get any better than with Sonic Mania.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's a difficult subject to limit to just five. There are countless excellent games out there, but lemme break down just a few of my favorites. The first one is obvious:

1) Dark Souls is the best Zelda game I've played. It's a cold adventure that emphasizes player skill, caution, and adventure. I'm not sure there's yet been a series that mimics the sheer danger that the world of Dark Souls represents. It's a difficult journey, but one worth diving into. It isn't for everyone, but I'm confident it's for a lot of people.

2) Divinity: Original Sin 2. Despite the big 2 in the title, this isn't a game that depends on player knowledge of other games in the franchise. Divinity 2 is not only one of the best RPGs I've played, but one of the best games I've played period. Until the early access release of Baldur's Gate 3, it was the closest you could come to playing Dungeons and Dragons in video game form.

3) Prey. Often referred to as Prey 2017 by people who are stupid and wrong, Prey 2 is my favorite example of the "immersive sim". This vague genre emphasizes interaction with the environment and within game systems. It's a tense game of mystery and survival aboard a space station barely hanging on in the wake of an alien outbreak.

4) Resident Evil 2 (2019). Resident Evil 2 is one of the best games I've played. A remake of the old 1990s horror classic (?), it is one of the tightest and best horror games I've played. It's a game oozing with content that begs to be played multiple times.

5) Warhammer: Vermintide 2. The best multiplayer game I've played in years. I picked up the original game in 2015, but the sequel is such a significant step forward that playing the original is only for those diehard fans willing to tolerate a significantly worse loot design. If you played Left 4 Dead and wanted more, Vermintide 2 is more of that, better, and in a vaguely magical medieval setting.

Without putting too much thought into it and in no particular order:

Vice City
San Andreas
Fallout 4
Day of the Tentacle
The Last of Us

Mido

Version 1
3)Red Dead Redemption-The sequel was terrible, but RDR1 was fantastic. It really felt like you were playing as a larger than life gunfighter, and the story was pretty good to boot.

Now the jury's still out for me on RDR II, so I cannot wholly comment on that, but I surely second RDR as one of the all-time greats (now will say that my first impressions of RDR II are strong enough, but there is a part of me that finds the abundance of game mechanics almost "too immersive," so to speak). For an additional four (but not limited to these four), here's the score:

Power Stone - Power Stone is among the more underrated fighting games out there. While it isn't necessarily deep, it has a fast-paced dynamic with both the fighting itself and the hunting of the power stones to use stronger abilities (not to mention the abundance of items to use). It isn't too different from say a 3D Super Smash Bros in some respects. At the very least, I enjoyed it enough as a kid to make a decade-long hunt out of it.

007 Nightfire - Goldeneye 007 might be the pinnacle of James Bond video games, but Nightfire packs enough of its own punch to stand out as an elite Bond game. Much like its predecessor takes inspiration from The World is Not Enough (as it was intended to be a port of the movie's game), Nightfire takes more of its cues from Moonraker with enough of its own spin to stand out on its own. Coupled with a highly underrated local multiplayer, the game is a potential under-the-radar classic.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - While some long time fans of the series might lobby against the trilogy for being a symbol of the potential malaise the series currently resides in, there is some good reason for Capcom to continually call back to it for better or worse. The three games have the definitive story, lovable characters, and mechanics that do well to both enhance gameplay and story. The soundtrack also is incredibly memorable across the three games.

Halo Reach - I will never call myself the biggest Halo fan in the world, having only a more casual appreciation for it. Nevertheless, Reach provided an unforgettable journey on numerous levels. The story, while ultimately grim, is well-presented as you fight against the inevitable (which is helped by the semi-differing mission structures at some points). The gameplay is standard Halo fare, which is always a good thing, and while the multiplayer's ranking layout was cumbersome at points a la Warrant Officer Grade 3, it provided a great experience (with Forge World particularly being a source of endless fun).

Ratchet & Clank series. Another Playstation series, but this one is still alive! Great sense of humor in these games!

Despite never owning a Sony console, I enjoyed the series a ton playing it with a friend years ago (at least the original 4). I actually consider the 3rd game to be a top-ten favorite.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
It's a difficult subject to limit to just five. There are countless excellent games out there, but lemme break down just a few of my favorites.
heck I had difficulty thinking about a 4th and a 5th, I tried to not jump into my favorites and think of something that mostly any game enthusiast can enjoy playing, which took a bit of thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom