• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Annoyed You Today?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I love when people make really accurate sheet music, yet never bother to write in the key signature correctly, leaving accidentals all over the place, looking like a gigantic mess.

This forces me to do some detective work in order to clean things up. Latest example, Trivium's song "Heart From Your Hate," is in Bb minor.

Yet the guy writing the sheet music indicated it as written in C major or A minor, which would mean every time a Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb show up in the song, they are to be written as accidentals.

Or...

We could just indicate that right in the beginning, called a key signature, that way we don't have to write out these notes as accidentals all the time. Leads to cleaner looking sheet music, and it's important to know what key something you're learning is in.

in my experience, i think when that happens, they gotta have some program that picks out the notes or something and it probably defaults to c major with no sharps/flats. i have never found out if there is a program for this but i have wondered about it for a very long time, especially when ive found arrangements that are physically unplayable. rearranging a crappy arrangement is good tho, cuz if the notes are right then you can still do something with them so you can actually play it

i dont mind accidentals tho, at least as a piano player, cuz im really dumb with remembering my black keys

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
in my experience, i think when that happens, they gotta have some program that picks out the notes or something and it probably defaults to c major with no sharps/flats. i have never found out if there is a program for this but i have wondered about it for a very long time, especially when ive found arrangements that are physically unplayable. rearranging a crappy arrangement is good tho, cuz if the notes are right then you can still do something with them so you can actually play it

i dont mind accidentals tho, at least as a piano player, cuz im really dumb with remembering my black keys
In this case they got the notes exactly right, they just didn't indicate in the key signature that there was a Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. Thus every time one of those notes showed up, it was shown as an accidental. I just don't like clutter, and I like things to be easy to read.

That said, even with the right key signature, there's accidentals all over the place in music, like Death's song "Crystal Mountain." General key signature is D minor, with one flat, Bb, but there's accidentals all over the place because Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) was really influenced by jazz.

I just like things to be clear is all. :)

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello

you can convert an audio file to MIDI format, and notation software can read MIDIs. The problem is MIDIs always look incredibly messy and are usually immediately noticeable, with impossible chords and insensible octave changes

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
you can convert an audio file to MIDI format, and notation software can read MIDIs. The problem is MIDIs always look incredibly messy and are usually immediately noticeable, with impossible chords and insensible octave changes
Yep.

Except in this case, everything was right where it should be. It was really well done, which I find more annoying, because they could have taken 5 extra minutes to put in the key signature, but didn't.

Maybe this is because I'm a huge neat freak with charts, sheet music, music in general, n' sh*t.

I remember the days of fixing iTunes' mistakes because the meta data of the music I'd add to iTunes would always get screwed up.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yep.

Except in this case, everything was right where it should be. It was really well done, which I find more annoying, because they could have taken 5 extra minutes to put in the key signature, but didn't.

Maybe this is because I'm a huge neat freak with charts, sheet music, music in general, n' sh*t.

I remember the days of fixing iTunes' mistakes because the meta data of the music I'd add to iTunes would always get screwed up.
finale for sure has an option that lets you automatically change the key signature, other programs probably have the same
meaning it takes 30 seconds max haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom