• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Annoyed You Today?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Why do drummers insist on blasting away on drums while the bassist and the guitarist tune up or set up?

I've been patient with my drummer, but it's now to the point I'm ready to start hurling water bottles at him to get him to stop. Do drummers honestly not know what restraint is?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Why do drummers insist on blasting away on drums while the bassist and the guitarist tune up or set up?

I've been patient with my drummer, but it's now to the point I'm ready to start hurling water bottles at him to get him to stop. Do drummers honestly not know what restraint is?
our blood pumps at 140 bpm we have to get it out somewhere

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
both my dad and my friend have been constantly asking me for favors and I'm getting really tired of it, my friend in particular keeps calling and messaging me like he's my freaking girlfriend or something, and he knows full well I'm not the calling type
it feels bad saying this but they've been too dependent on me lately

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I spent hours today working on a digital drawing. It turned out nice, I saved it properly, sent it to myself, and turned off my computer. Of course when I open it up to post it I realized-
I
Forgot
A singular stripe
On his shirt.
It's only a minor inconvenience, I'll probably go back on an fix it in an hour or two. It's just annoying that I forget something like this every time I do something in digital. I even keep reference photos to check and make sure I got everything but it's always some tiny detail just big enough to annoy me. And then everytime I have to boot up my computer and plug in my tablet again.

Thats actually like, pretty much how it is, to be honest. Sometimes I forget to shade an entire cell. It's just a matter of deciding if you care enough to go back and correct it. Since I do a lot of post-processing on my digital pieces with the color channel offsets and the noise, sometimes I'm too lazy to want to do it again cuz it won't be exactly how it was the first time I exported.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I got called annoying for giving someone advice they didn't want to hear in a guitar player's advice exchange group.

Context:

Guy says, "What's all 12 major and minor scale shapes?"

I said, "Study up on the Circle of Fifths, it literally tells you how many sharps and flats are in a key, and what they are. Should get you on figuring this out."

Guy says, "Circle of Fifths is useless, I moved past it, I want scale shapes."

I respond with, "Scales are largely more academic than they are practical, musically speaking, as almost no piece of music runs scales straight up and down. Intervals and scale degrees are more important, because they get you thinking with your ears, not your eyes."

Guy says, "I know my scale degrees, I came from piano to guitar."

I respond, "Then if you know your scale degrees, you should know how the major scale and minor scale are constructed, and from there you can figure it out, on your own, and that's much more valuable than me giving you the answer."

Guy says, "Well if I don't know the notes on the fretboard, it doesn't matter if I know the theory, does it?"

I respond, "Then what you really need isn't scale shapes, it's to learn the notes on the fretboard. The theory doesn't change whether it's piano, violin, piccolo or a guitar, if you know your scale degrees, you can construct the major and minor scales on your own. So me giving you diagrams telling you where to put your fingers won't help you."

Guy then calls me annoying.

Look, it's not my fault that you don't know the notes on your instrument. That's entirely on you. It's not annoying of me to point out that what you actually need isn't to learn scale shapes, but the notes on the fretboard.

Furthermore, scale shapes get you thinking with your eyeballs rather than your ears. What good is it for me to show you scale shapes? It tells you nothing about the harmonic context, nothing about what the scale sounds like, nothing really useful for writing melodies, chord progressions, or anything. If I was blind, I should be able to use my EARS to figure out what I want to play.

If Stevie Wonder can make music despite being blind from birth, so can we guitarists.

It's also not my fault that your eyes are the biggest liars in music.

Furthermore, due to the nature of guitar, one phrase can be played in tons of different ways, because unlike piano, we guitarists can play the same note in multiple areas.

So how are shapes going to help you? Does it even matter how I arrange the notes on the fretboard? What about open tunings? This is why I don't like thinking in shapes when playing music. I'd much rather ignore what my eyes are telling me.

I'm noticing that people trying to understand music theory are trying to do the equivalent of advanced calculus when they don't know how to do basic arithmetic.

Why would I give you the answer? That's not helping anyone, as what's more important is the sound, and the how and why of why they sound the way they do.

If I just give you the answer, you learn nothing, you just start thinking with your eyes and start playing random notes, assuming it'll sound like music because the notes you're playing are "technically in key."

That creates another problem in the future of him asking, "How do I write good melodies?" or "How do I write good chord progressions?"

When I give musical advice, I guess I should preface it that you should always be thinking with your ears, not your eyes, since, as I said, your eyes are the biggest liars in music.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Many famous guitar players can't even read notes. They play music while using their ears and of course having musical talents. Some people act like they know how to learn playing musical instruments and won't take any advice from someone who play musical instruments for years. And ears are beyond important. Not all written stuff is true to the songs. I always listen to music with my ears very carefully before playing although I can read music. Listening is really the true key. Well you tried giving them advice, they refused so too bad for them if they fail ;)

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Many famous guitar players can't even read notes. They play music while using their ears and of course having musical talents. Some people act like they know how to learn playing musical instruments and won't take any advice from someone who play musical instruments for years. And ears are beyond important. Not all written stuff is true to the songs. I always listen to music with my ears very carefully before playing although I can read music. Listening is really the true key. Well you tried giving them advice, they refused so too bad for them if they fail ;)
It's just annoying, because what he wanted was someone to tell him where to put his fingers, but he had all of the knowledge already, he was refusing to apply it. When I pointed that out to him, and gave him what he needed, he called me annoying.

It's like learning math, why would a math teacher just give you the answer? That's not doing math.

Same thing here. If I give someone the answer, they really aren't learning anything that's musically valuable, or something they can apply to their own music, or songs they like.

Sure, learning scales is important, but the real important thing is the sound and harmony of them, because scales up and down in a vacuum is largely more of an academic thing than it is a musical thing.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's just annoying, because what he wanted was someone to tell him where to put his fingers, but he had all of the knowledge already, he was refusing to apply it. When I pointed that out to him, and gave him what he needed, he called me annoying.

It's like learning math, why would a math teacher just give you the answer? That's not doing math.

Same thing here. If I give someone the answer, they really aren't learning anything that's musically valuable, or something they can apply to their own music, or songs they like.

Sure, learning scales is important, but the real important thing is the sound and harmony of them, because scales up and down in a vacuum is largely more of an academic thing than it is a musical thing.
He's just lazy and expect others to give him all the answers. That's definitely not working or helping him. That's someone who never learn

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I don't really know instruments or music, but people do learn in different ways. So saying that one way is the correct way to do it isn't always true. Like with your math example, I have anxiety when it comes to math (because I possibly have the number equivalent of dyslexia), and sometimes having the answer actually does help me learn easier. Because then I have less anxiety, and can work backwards to see the process more clearly. Just because stuff works one way for some people doesn't mean it works that way for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom