• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Were You Disappointed with the Timeline Revealed?

If you don't want to actually know what is revealed, click back. Go watch Power Rangers or something instead of reading this topic. I'll give you some space to avoid reading anything.

Also, I apologize if this topic was already made, I just wanted to give my own thoughts.

If you don't already know, Hyrule Historia revealed the actual timeline. Personally, I still think that this isn't the actual timeline, but I'll just keep my mouth shut. If you have seen it, are you as confused as me that there are not one, not two, but THREE timelines. I'm just assuming that third timeline is one where Link just disappeared and Ganon went on but was defeated by the sages... somehow. That's what I'm sticking with for now. Personally, I never really disliked the idea of different timelines since it gives us opportunities to experiment with Link's backstory, from traveler, to orphan to big brother, from stranger, to new friend, to child friend and so on; as well as giving us opportunities with different villains, locales and ideas, primarily with the adult timeline on how Ganon is pretty much gone after Wind Waker, allowing us to use new, though admittedly not very interesting, villains.

I think my issue isn't just that my theories are off, but that there are three timelines with placement I don't totally agree on. What do I mean? The best example is that in the new timeline... I'm going to call it the Classic timeline since it features the 2D games before Ocarina of Time, the Oracle games take place between Link's Awakening. The reason I find this odd, unlike many other people who theorized this is basically the artwork depiction of Link and Zelda. They both look much younger than the artwork of A Link to the Past and Zelda has red hair. Then again, could just be the art style. Also, we finally learn where the Sleeping Zelda story occurs... after Link's Awakening. This confuses me, I thought this would happen much earlier, like after the story of the Hero of Men. This doesn't really explain why each Zelda is named Zelda, especially in the other timelines, unless there was another reason like, say, in honor of one of the founder of the royal family. This Classic timeline also kind of destroys what made me like a lot about the NES games, in that they were the very last of the timeline despite being the first in the series.

Okay, I got my nitpicking out of the way, let me talk about the good stuff. For the most part, I find everything before Ocarina of time and in the other timelines to work okay. Ganon being sealed in the Four Sword and the name Ganondorf being uttered in Four Swords Adventures after his death in Twilight Princess kind of fit. Having him still technically be alive could lead to potential future stories in this timeline, in fact because there are three timelines and a common past to work with, they aren't limited to where they can place them as they would with two. For example, I always felt they should explain why Vaati suddenly was interested in kidnapping beautiful women who caught his eye in a future game. Also, because of the timeline, this could lead to one or more villains returning in some form in the timeline they don't die. Onox and Veran from the Oracle games could potentially appear in the Child timeline as servants of Ganon. We don't really know if Vaati is truly dead or if he's capable of reviving himself as Ganon did, but we can also have him appear in an Adult timeline game. Finally, the best reason and why I don't mind the timeline theory at first, more games.

So this is my overall thoughts. What are your own about this?

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
Yes, I was a little confused. I usually don't bother with the timeline, since i'm kind of lazy :P

The "official" timeline is quite awkward, for lack of better wording, as a few of the games happen as a result of Link dying... :hmm:

Nicholas

The legend of nick
really an oficial timeline or no

I thaught there was no real timeline aint it just speculation or just a theory

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
Honestly it is Nintendo's view of things. What really comes to mind is this though...

The timeline is there to add a sense of continuity... but in reality it is a different take of the Story of Legend of Zelda.... done in a unique way....... the continuity is for people that need it. I dont, but I find this timeline entertaining and stimulating.

I kinda liked it. Even though I found some flaws in the timeline that Nintendo released, I found it to be amazing. The fact that there are games that happen if Link dies in Ocarina of Time was a masterpiece. I guess they made it that way so that it can open to other possibilities for Zelda games in the future.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
I try not to look to much into these timelines, because they just make things more confusing. The most important thing for me is that I simply enjoy the game.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
The timeline makes perfect sense to me. Before it was revealed, I always wished it was. But now that it has been, it takes some of the magic away from Zelda. So idk.

My problems:
1. I believe in one Ganon, it makes for a better overarching story having it being the same villain over generations. The "official" timeline has three.
2. It places FSA after TP. But the Dark Mirror was destroyed at the end of TP.
3. If all the sages were awakened to seal Ganon in the case of Link's death, Twinrova must have been killed, yet they place OoX after ALttP.
4. How would the sages have been able to seal Ganon if Link wasn't there stabbing him in the face repeatedly with the Master Sword? If they could have done it anyway, Link wasn't even needed. and if Link dies, there's not even a flood! It's clearly the more favorable outcome.
5. Interestingly enough, I had always thought that there was a triple split after Ocarina of Time. However, not as a result of the Hero of Time's death. In ALttP, Ganon attempts to break out of the Sacred Realm turned Dark World. However, Link stops him. But what if there had been no Link? Ganon would have broken out, prompting the Goddesses to flood Hyrule. My triple split occurs from ALttP's Link not existing/being defeated. Another possibility is that a future Link was sent back in time to slay Ganon before the Goddesses flood, though there's nothing to prove it (nothing to really DISprove it either :P ).

I was only dissapointed with the whole "Link dies" scenario, which basically turns about 6 games into "what ifs" since Link didn't fail in OoT. Plus what about him dying in the others games wouldn't those be timeline splits too? Plus just the idea of a Hero failing kind of ruins the idea of the series for me. Someone made a great video explaining how instead of failing, Link ceased to exist after drawing the master sword in one timeline based on Zelda creating a time paradox (and third timeline) by sending Link back so far that nothing in the game had ever happened. This made the part of the game where he collected the stones become a timeline where he simply dissapeared since he went to the future and then to an alternate past.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The timeline revealed to us is slightly annoying, but it works out for me. I don't like the third timeline because it essentially makes the elder titles as "what if" and 'non canon'. Still, at least it's something and the Zelda theorists can stop bickering over silly things as the timeline.

So many fans have been working tirelessly to discover it and have been begging to know it. If anyone is complaining about the fact that it was revealed they should put a sock in it.

this is one interesting topic. My thoughts on it are divided in the messages of your syntaxical yet redundant text.thank you for your valient time and good day to you sir/mam.

Last edited:
H

haleyofhyrule

it was sure surprising. i would of never thought of a third split. odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom