• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Were the Stylus and Microphone Overused in PH?

Were the Stylus and Microphone Overused in PH?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Austin

Austin
Now, I'm not a DS hater here, but in my opinion PH took the stylus and microphone options a wee bit overboard. I don't want to get into an extended rant here, so I'll just point out two major issues I have.

1) Having to yell into the microphone - I don't always play my DS within the privacy of my own house. That's sorta the point of a portable gaming system. As a result of this, I'm not always in an area where I feel comfortable screaming. I figured out that blowing into the microphone has the same effect, but it still looks slightly ridiculous.

2) Having to draw symbols on the whirlwind tablet thing - This was really aggrivating. Maybe it's just me, but the symbols NEVER work for me. I've almost forgotten about the tablet entirely. What makes it even more annoying was that it's totally unneeded. It doesn't seem justified and doesn't add to the game experience at all.

Other than that, I'm adjusting well to the controls of PH. Using the stylus to move and attack starts to feel natural after a bit, and now it's like second nature.

I think Nintendo was just taking advatage of the features on the DS. As for the Cyclone Slate, you didn't necessarily need to draw the symbols very big. I still think Spirit Tracks used some of the DS features more than Phantom Hourglass did. Yes, I know that you didn't need to close the DS or anything, but the whirlwind required you to blow into the mic every time--though I usually tapped the microphone with my stylus. Back to the point, the purpose of the DS games is to get a more "involved" feel like you do on the Wii, but with a handheld system.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I feel the opposite- I don't think they were used enough. There's a lot more that could've been done with voice. It'd be nice if certain phrases could be recognized, or even if your own voice could be recognized. As far as the stylus goes, I love how they used it. I never had any issues in that area.

CZG

Stylus ---> No, the game is based on this...
MIC ---> It's awesome that you look stupid when blowing your lungs out in public transport. So.... I'd say no.

I don't mind blowing some air into that., but like we all know, screaming real words into the thing is kinda akward.
I really like what the did with the microphone, but I don't think I'd want voice reco~ (what, how do you write that?)
Recognition.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, in that same sense, the motion controls in the Wii version of TP were overused too. I voted for Yes on the poll without thinking much about it, but now that I do think about it, they were in no way "overused". Used alot? I won't deny that. Used too much? I do deny that. It's actually a very cool innovation for Zelda and if you ask me, PH didn't use the microphone enough. But they corrected that in ST. And the touch controls if you ask me made things very fun.

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
I liked the addition of the stylus however, I agree with you with the Microphone. It's embarrassing to blow or yell into the microphone and sometimes it doesn't work.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Not at all in PH, DEFINATELY IN ST!!! I hated using the microphone. PH was fine..... WOWWWW!!! Did I just say something good about PH?!! o_O omg

A

Adolf Wolf

I thought the stylus use was perfect, but I hated using the mic. Most of the time I was playing at night or in public, two places where yelling into my brother's DS would not be appropriate for someone my age. Most of the time I just blew on the mic or rubbed or tapped it with my fingers.

The stylus was great though, I had a lot of fun using it, even though I thought I wouldn't.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
They were underused.

It lacked mic control. And the puzzles were easy to figure out. PH was a game made for beginners. And the temples and dungeons were meant to be easy. The only time I see a mic being used was either to blow or to call someone. The mic was completely ignored and I for one was disappointed in it. They could have just added more puzzles with some more mic action. And they did that, on Spirit Tracks.

The Stylus on the other hand was slightly underused. You move around the world with your stylus, you walk, attack jump and point your weapon with your stylus, yet is is slightly ignored. There are less motions for the stylus and the puzzles involving stylus movement were too short or easy to figure out. One of them is the same movement, a zigzag and a rubbing action. Others were to just draw symbols. And that is just a little expected.

Too much stylus. I wish I didn't have to use the stylus for every single aspect of the game. The microphone I only had to blow in once if I remember correctly. Still a good game though.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
Having to scream into the microphone as loud as you can was just stupid ridiculous, and I completly agree about the tablet thing.
Easily the worst game in the series...

Zora Link

I hate being nice. D:
I wanted to be able to choose between stylus or button controls. ._.

Button controls:

D-Pad: Self explanatory.
A: interact with stuff, basically the action button
B: Sword
Y and X: Items.
Start: Pause
Select: Quest Status
L: Shield
R: Item

It would work, right?

stylus-not really

mic- it looks ridiculous blowing onto a handheld, and in ST, something messed up my mic, and whenever i had to blow into it, it was already doing it automatically, and there wasnt even any wind, the Sacred Duet really bothered me cause its hard to play it if its playing for you( the only reason i liked it was because the music afterwords was epic :))

Poké!

√∞ⁿ
For the Stylus, it was pretty annoying when fighting Bellum, you know, when you were able (and had) to freeze time. The symbols part wasn't hard, but the time freezing always seemed to fail on me. At that time though, my DS had a messed up screen and messed up L & R buttons.

The Microphone part didn't bother me much, except when I had the game on the PC (yeah, I know it's illegal), when I was unable to do those microphone parts. Now in Spirit Tracks, when I was in a car or something like that, my microphone always acted up and played the flute or blew that wind thing when I didn't want it to, but it didn't bother me much, as I already stated.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Right now I'm playing PH again and the stylus and mic part don't bother me at all. I think Link even walks faster when controlled by the stylus. The only thing with the stylus is tapping some enemies can be a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom