• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Were the Earrings Really Necessary?

BakerGuy

Wielder of TheBakerSword
I don't that the earings on link were quite neccesary. Ok we get it your a swordsman yur all manly but the earings dont fit. Thats just what i think, and i dont see how it could help or relate to anything in the story. Unless they made a game called Earings of Mystery or something.

This is your opinion of Link's earrings, which you are entitled to. However, a minor aesthetic choice such as earrings should not be that much of a deal. During the creation phases of Ocarina of Time's Link, his character creator (can't quite recall his name at the moment) thought earrings would make Link "look cool." The earrings honestly don't need a major, story-based reason for being there...

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
The earrings are just a design choice. They were added for a few reasons.

For starters, Link's supposed to be a "Link" between the game and the player. How many people do you know wear earrings? And also, many people complain that Link's a male protagonist and that he should be female, when in fact Link's a very feminine male (i.e. the earrings and his girly eyes). Link's design in general was made so it appealed to both males and females.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
Link himself is a very weird male protagonist. I've never though that any of his clothing really mattered in the story. Except in OoT where the Goron and Zora tunics are required to beat the game. Personally I think Link could be in his pyjamas and it wouldn't matter. Earings, though a very minor detail, is somewhat important to more, how do I say this? More Link-loving fans. Like how some fans think Link being left-handed is important.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
The Ocarina of Time manga actually gave a reason for the earrings. According the the manga, it was tradition for Sheikah boys to get earrings when they became adults, and Impa gave Link his earring when he proved to be an adult in a battle with Dark Link. Now, The manga isn't totally canon, and certainly this scene deviates from the games quite a bit, putting Dark Link as an encounter separate from the Water Temple, but I like the fact that they gave meaning to Link's earrings.

In the games, I imagine it's more an aesthetic choice than anything, but I do like to think that they hold some meaning similar to the "passage into adulthood" tradition the manga showed. At any rate, I personally really like them.

I like the earrings there, they give him a girlish charm. and Xinnamin, you have fascinated me.

But the earrings in Ocarina of Time lead to so many jokes about how they got there while he was sleeping!

Twilight

Storming Twilight
Totally agree with Wolf Sage. And who cares if it'll help in the story or not? It's a cool thing, it means Link had matured enough to put an earring on his ear. And why it wouldn't fit a swordsman? Everything does. Even a skirt would. =/

I'm impressed how you could notice such things and make a big discussion about those details in the game.

David25866

Anime Master
I don't really understand that it was just the designers trying to make look better and going onto the topic about something so small it doesn't matter

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't like the earrings on Link either, it is just my culture and my social division playing an influence coupled with my own personal thoughts, but earrings make a man less manly, though that is a controversial topic among many. I wouldn't want my son or ingame avatar or even my friends who I'm not so connected to to wear earrings (the girls among them, yes that's okay).

They look 'cool', don't get me wrong, I just don't like them. They certainly aren't needed though I respect the designer's choices to the max :3

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
YES THEY ARE TOTALLY NECESSARY! They make him look more bad-*** and like "Don't mess with me, man. I've got an EARRING!" HECK yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom