• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weird TV...

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
So im watching tv and theres things on tv that like huh?? Like not locking doors and full grown adults being high school kids? What other weirdness have you noticed it can be other media as well....

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Oh i just thought ofbthe fact that people make an appointment and never day where or when??

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
So im watching tv and theres things on tv that like huh?? Like not locking doors and full grown adults being high school kids? What other weirdness have you noticed it can be other media as well....
Decanting whisk(e)y is actually far more common on television than it is in reality.

Whisk(e)y ya see, in Hollywood-land is perceived as fancy, especially if it's scotch, thus if you want a serious, but refined character, put a glass of whisk(e)y in their hands.

But have you actually heard them talk about famous brands? Only a handful of times, right?

That's because anytime you've seen a whisk(e)y brand in a movie or TV show, that's because the production company actually shelled out the money the distillery wanted to display their product in the movie or TV show.

But most can't afford to pay the tens of thousands of dollars of product placement, thus, if a character is written to be a whisk(e)y drinker, you don't see any famous and recognizable brands, you just see them use a whisk(e)y decanter.

Nothing against the decanter, but it's not as common amongst whisk(e)y drinkers as Hollywood would like you to believe. While there's nothing wrong with decanting whisk(e)y, and indeed Infinity Bottles are a thing, it's just that the whisk(e)y we buy already comes in a nice, suitable container with a better, more secure lid than most decanters, and that's the bottle it comes in. Decanters don't have an airtight seal that a cork or screw top would provide.

Some decanters though are unsafe to put any liquid into, and those are the type of decanters you see in movies, fancy crystal decanters. Here's why that's a bad idea. Crystal glass contains lead in it. Pour 40% ABV spirit in that lead decanter, and it will leach out lead into the whisk(e)y, making it dangerous to consume because of lead poisoning.

Not only that, but the whisk(e)y on camera is actually not really whisk(e)y, but caramel colored water designed to look the part.

That said, there are times when brands are shown in movies and TV shows, and hell, even mentioned by name sometimes, and that's because the production company could afford the product placement.

Cartoon Network and Comedy Central they always have weird creepy stuff shown late at night after midnight. Like Children's Hospital or the bizarre Infomercials spoof show late late at night on Comedy Central or Cartoon Netowrk 2 years ago.

There was even a weird Wheel of Time prototype movie starring Billy Zane that came on late at night on TNT or some channel a couple of years ago

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
People or their friends investigating the crimes the police arrested them for...

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Weren't earlier sitcoms aired live in front of a crowd? Kinda like a theater play?
I think it's something vestigial from that time.

Yeah, a lot of earlier sitcoms were. Some still are occasionally, but not as often.

It's always kinda funny in shows when they get rid of a character and have to find some explanation for what happened to them, or just don't acknowledge it at all. And then sometimes when they bring them back as a different actor. One of my favorites is in Boy Meets World when Cory's little sister Morgan is off the show for a while. And later comes back as a different, older actress and one of the first things she says when she comes downstairs is "That was the longest timeout of my life." Thought that was a pretty comical way to address the disappearance and her growing up.

Characters having siblings and then being the only child happens somewhat frequently too. Again, Boy Meets World is an example where early in the show Topanga had a sister named Nebula but then later she had no sister. And Shawn mentions a sister in an episode and then later doesn't have a sister. And in That 70s Show, Donna has a sister that appears in one episode and then she's an only child.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Being a guitarist, I can tell when they give the stereotypical "rocker" character a guitar, and they can't play guitar.

Much like what I pointed out with whisk(e)y, a lot of the guitars you see have the company logo covered up, but you can't hide a Fender Stratocaster from my observant eyes! Usually it's due to the fact that production companies cannot pay the fee these companies want to advertise their product in the work.

Thus, generic guitar brands galore! Or instantly recognizable and iconic guitars suspiciously have no company logos...

But, worse than that, I can tell that the actors are miming playing the guitar.

Some miming is hilariously bad, as many of them tend to think that simply sliding your hand up and down the neck in a weird phallic display is how guitar players actually play the instrument.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Here's another one, knives. I collect knives of all types as a hobby.

Most of the public's fears about certain types of knives and their perceived danger is due to movies and TV.

For example, switchblades, or to use the official industry tem, button lock knives. They are extremely easy and simple to operate, just push the button to deploy the knife, and push the button to release the lock and push the knife back into its folded position.

If you're afraid of them going off in your pocket, they have a safety, just in case.

In fact, I may devote a post to this very topic. People tend to fear what they don't understand or aren't familiar with in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom