• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weird random warping (Wind Waker)

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
A lot of times when I played through Wind Waker, during the cursed sea section, some weird anomaly happens where I'm just sailing towards Windfall Island from Tingle island, then all of a sudden, the screen fades to black and I find myself in a slightly different location not too far from where I was. And when the game returns, the camera faces Toon Link as if he barley got on the boat and the UI comes back, and then it just resumes normal gameplay, this is within a span of a second.

Has this happened to anyone? From what I recall, it only specifically happens when I'm sailing from Tingle island to Outset in the cursed sea section. Maybe it's happened at some other point, but I definitely remember this one. I never knew the cause of it. Cyclones were NOT involved.

MW7

I found another person online claiming a similar experience as well. Maybe you are hitting a loading zone for a cyclone (or something else like the ghost ship) without it being visible or active so the game doesn't know what to do and momentarily resets your position.

Do Big Octos spawn during the cursed sea? The respawn sounds like the aftermath of getting sucked in by a Big Octo, and I do know one exists north of Tingle Island... but I avoid them like the plague during the cursed sea segment so I have no idea if they spawn. Maybe they don't but their area still is programmed for being tossed out to sea? The way to check would be to go to another area with a Big Octo and pass through its center during that segment and see what happens.

On my GC copy of WW Link and KoRL sometimes fall through the sea into a void of black and it sets me back a square as if I've just changed the time of day.

It's weird. But that's normal sea, not cursed.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I found another person online claiming a similar experience as well. Maybe you are hitting a loading zone for a cyclone (or something else like the ghost ship) without it being visible or active so the game doesn't know what to do and momentarily resets your position.
unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe there's supposed to be any cyclones in the spots where I encountered it, cyclones are active though b/c I went into one once for the heck of it and it took me to dragon roost island, and I remember that being pain for needing to travel from there all the way to outset
Do Big Octos spawn during the cursed sea? The respawn sounds like the aftermath of getting sucked in by a Big Octo, and I do know one exists north of Tingle Island... but I avoid them like the plague during the cursed sea segment so I have no idea if they spawn. Maybe they don't but their area still is programmed for being tossed out to sea? The way to check would be to go to another area with a Big Octo and pass through its center during that segment and see what happens.
good question, although I think that big octo is supposed to be more north west of the island, so I don't think I'd encounter it anyway on the way to windfall, but yeah I can't remember if I ever fought one during that segment
On my GC copy of WW Link and KoRL sometimes fall through the sea into a void of black and it sets me back a square as if I've just changed the time of day.

It's weird. But that's normal sea, not cursed.
actually yeah that's a better way of putting it, the animation looks like I just changed the time of day where he faces the camera, my memory's hazy so I might've encountered it a couple times just playing the game normally, but I encountered it enough in that spot for me to really remember it, mostly in that I feel like the cutscene is gonna play out of me arriving at windfall, but I also think at the moment "wait, I'm a little too far from it though"

unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe there's supposed to be any cyclones in the spots where I encountered it, cyclones are active though b/c I went into one once for the heck of it and it took me to dragon roost island, and I remember that being pain for needing to travel from there all the way to outset

good question, although I think that big octo is supposed to be more north west of the island, so I don't think I'd encounter it anyway on the way to windfall, but yeah I can't remember if I ever fought one during that segment

actually yeah that's a better way of putting it, the animation looks like I just changed the time of day where he faces the camera, my memory's hazy so I might've encountered it a couple times just playing the game normally, but I encountered it enough in that spot for me to really remember it, mostly in that I feel like the cutscene is gonna play out of me arriving at windfall, but I also think at the moment "wait, I'm a little too far from it though"

What's weird for me is that it never used to happen. It's only a recent thing. It doesn't happen in HD on WiiU, just the GC version.

I don't know what causes it. I've looked into reasons for it online and no one seems to know.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
What's weird for me is that it never used to happen. It's only a recent thing. It doesn't happen in HD on WiiU, just the GC version.

I don't know what causes it. I've looked into reasons for it online and no one seems to know.
yeah I'd think it's some kind of loading issue in the original which I wouldn't think would happen in the HD version, and I don't remember when I started noticing it but it has been a good while, it's super weird

This happens to me almost every time I replay the Wind Waker on Gamecube, I've always just assumed I was sailing into the Windfall Island square too quick for the game to load the pirate ship or the cutscene trigger properly or something like that so the game did a quick refresh of the area to allow everything to load correctly

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This is common on the Gamecube version from any direction as you head to Windfall while the Pirates are there, I think. It always happened to me, anyway. I actually noticed it triggers while I'm further away from the Island, and it places me closer afterwards. No complaints at all, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom