• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Weird question, but do you feel you respect npcs? Here’s my reasoning:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yeah it is. If you give it to the toilet, Pipit and Karane don't get together and that sucks for them. The kid is gonna be depressed either way, at least this one has a happy ending. and doesnt leave the kid with a ghost stroking his hair every night like a creep
It's actually not, and here's why

If we look at all parties involved
Link
Cawlin
Ghost Hand
Karane
Pipit
mathematically, getting karane and pipit together result in two happy parties, karane and pipit
if we don't get karane and pipit together, not only are karane and pipit still happy, but the ghost hand is also happy, everyone who needs to use the bathroom at night is happy, and link is happy because one husbando and/or one waifu are still available for shipping

so no, giving it to the ghost hand is not the jerk option and I'm sick of you people forcing your romantic agendas on everyone else!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Typically I'm nice, but sometimes I like to try things to see if I can tick any of them off to get new dialogue. I used bump the Beetle into people in Skyloft, use the gust bellow on them, and let bombs blow up next to them. I've also tried tried similar things in past games. Not so much in BotW, oddly, but that's just because there is so much to do in the game as is, and in the past I'd only mess with NPCs in second playthroughs or after I've nearly completed the game.

The cool thing about Zelda games is you can get away with messing with NPCs without major consequences, unlike a game series like Elder Scrolls, where depending on your interactions with NPCs it can either raise or lower their disposition towards you.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's actually not, and here's why

If we look at all parties involved
Link
Cawlin
Ghost Hand
Karane
Pipit
mathematically, getting karane and pipit together result in two happy parties, karane and pipit
if we don't get karane and pipit together, not only are karane and pipit still happy, but the ghost hand is also happy, everyone who needs to use the bathroom at night is happy, and link is happy because one husbando and/or one waifu are still available for shipping

so no, giving it to the ghost hand is not the jerk option and I'm sick of you people forcing your romantic agendas on everyone else!
Pipit and Karane actually like each other though. Cawlin is the third wheel here. And giving it to Karane is what Cawlin wanted, so you follow through on his wishes in this instance. You are the one who hurts him when you give it to the Hand. Sorry, chief, your shipping characters with Link is gonna have to take a back seat to canon.

Mikey the Moblin

Pipit and Karane actually like each other though. Cawlin is the third wheel here. And giving it to Karane is what Cawlin wanted, so you follow through on his wishes in this instance. You are the one who hurts him when you give it to the Hand. Sorry, chief, your shipping characters with Link is gonna have to take a back seat to canon.
isn't it more noble for link to hurt cawlin than for cawlin to be rejected? After all, cawlin already hates link
you're also failing to account for the dozens of people in a year who can't use the bathroom at night because it's occupied. Think of the greater good, and stop putting romance on a pedestal smh
I need to pee dagnabbit

Gorozoron

wild ride
isn't it more noble for link to hurt cawlin than for cawlin to be rejected? After all, cawlin already hates link
you're also failing to account for the dozens of people in a year who can't use the bathroom at night because it's occupied. Think of the greater good, and stop putting romance on a pedestal smh
I need to pee dagnabbit
the hand seems like a weirdo maybe he would li-

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I need to pee dagnabbit
Let Cawlin get his heart broken properly, no need to coddle him like that. Also the ghost hand vanishes after you give the letter to Karane anyway, so nightly bathroom goers can continue on in peace. Truly, getting two people who already liked each other to face their feelings, exorcising a ghost by doing nothing, and letting Cawlin strike out himself is the best option here.

Mikey the Moblin

Let Cawlin get his heart broken properly, no need to coddle him like that. Also the ghost hand vanishes after you give the letter to Karane anyway, so nightly bathroom goers can continue on in peace. Truly, getting two people who already liked each other to face their feelings, exorcising a ghost by doing nothing, and letting Cawlin strike out himself is the best option here.
I still completely disagree with your priorities here
at the very least neither option is a jerk option

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It really depends on the NPC. If it's someone who's kind and helpful, I'll just engage with them normally, but if they're like the guy who sends you out to fight guardians for entertainment, I have more than a bit of fun blasting them with bomb arrows or swiping at them with my sword.

Also, I never walk away from a Korok w/o dropping a rock on them. :rosa:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Most of the time I like to talk to all characters. Some are funny and some are jerks and some are decent. Just like normal life. And some NPC's are needed for sidequests no matter their answers.
When it comes to SS the first time I gave the letter to Karane and the sec time I gave it to the hand in the toilet. Sometimes I switch to see the outcome if you choose the other option. Jerkish move or not it was damn funny though :D The only time I refuse to choose the opposite option is with Peatrice. To me that doesn't feel right because the outcome will still be the same and Link won't return to Skyloft at the end of the game leaving her waiting for someone who never comes home again. That feels way worse than the paper option.
But back to BotW, I always talk to people because some also have important information

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
Depends. In Majora’s Mask, I wanted to help everyone, even the ones who were stubborn and thought the moon wouldn’t crash. In SS or BotW though, occasionally I choose the funny option, like “nice hair” to Groose. Sometimes when goofing off you get a funny and enjoyable moment, and I like that. Though some characters I do feel a bit bad after doing it to, like the lady who loved her plum trees. I felt bad when I destroyed them and she said that it might be her time to pass away. One thing I enjoyed in SS was throwing pots at the old lady in the lunch room. That was pretty funny.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I try to talk with all of them, but I mostly choose the stupid dialogue options just for fun. I might attack them at first out if curiosity, but generally we’re pretty chill. If the NPCs are entertaining, it makes the game a lot more fun for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom