• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[Weird, Embarrassing, Interesting] Phases You've Gone Through in Life

Ahh... Those awkward teens years. We refer to them as a time of growth and maturation, but most of us remember them as a wild roller coaster of emotions, weirdness, and angst. I bet you a pretty penny that some of the most relaxed and level-headed members on here were not always that way; some were probably impulsive, obnoxious, and prone to make bad decisions at some point in the past (rebellious phase). Those same members and perhaps others may frequently voice their disgust at boy bands now but they were once the biggest fans in past years (fanboy/girl phase). Some may have once gone through a "gay phase," goth phase, rocker phase, drug use phase. I could go on. We go through many phases in our lifetime--not just our teen years but until we're old and grey. This perfectly normal. I myself have undergone many phases within the past few years. Very few people would believe me if I told them that I went through a phase once where I was a huge Shakira fan and big into a genre of Hispanic music called 'reggaeton', or that I once became obsessed with MMA, or that I was a class clown once upon a time. Seeing me now, you could never tell. Thing is you never know it's a phase until AFTER the fact. (lol)

What about you folks? What are some interesting, embarrassing, or weird phases you've gone through in the past?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
When I was younger I went through this weird phase where I'd only wear sweatpants. Never anything else. The reason I gave was that normal denim jeans made my legs itch. It wasn't true and honestly I can't remember why I did it and I can't remember why I stopped or when. But now I refuse to wear shorts. There are a number of reasons. For one I hate the tanlines you get from that. Also I uncontrollably scratch my legs in my sleep if I get bug bites on them, which can lead to bloodstains on my sheets. And for some reason any pair of shorts I do get always falls apart and the pockets rip off for reasons I don't understand. So not unreasonable reasons. Unlike the sweatpants thing. That's embarrassing in hindsight. The sweatpants thing was the absolute weirdest phase I went through. Oh... wait, there was also the time period where I'd only get bowl cuts. That's a time in my life I'd love to forget. And all pictures depicting it must be burned. In a fire.

Dan

I went through this really awkward wolf stage where I would dress up as a wolf then proceed to hit the town and hide in bushes so that I could judge silly humans. My other phase that went alongside my wolf phase was my imaginary family stage, I would often tell people that one of my family members had passed away to gain sympathy, then bring that family member back to life for the lols.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
In my teens I was a fan of Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls and Britney Spears... At 15 I even went with a friend to a BSB concert (though that one was actually her parents' idea because they didn't want her to go alone, so they asked my parents if they could bring me along for their week long holiday to the capital, lol).

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Hm, I did a lot of stupid things as a teenager but I wouldn't say I really went through any weird phases. However, when I was younger, like around seven, I went through a phase of wanting to be a vampire. I was obsessed with the colour black and wanted fangs and everything.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I went through a black phase, where I talked, acted, and hung out exclusively with black guys. I dated a black girl, only listened to hip-hop and even joined the basketball team (I was half-way decent). Oh, I also had a chain with a big C on it, for my name. I also wore such brands as Fubu, SouthPole, and others.

Yes, many years later I receive extreme amounts of ridicule when people see pictures of me back when I was 15-18 years old.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
I'm still in that awkward phase of angsty awkwardness. Either everyone hates me or I hate everyone lol.

Oh and when I was like 10 I used to want to be a Pokemon master. Then I realized I was Ash Ketchum.

I went through this really awkward wolf stage where I would dress up as a wolf then proceed to hit the town and hide in bushes so that I could judge silly humans. My other phase that went alongside my wolf phase was my imaginary family stage, I would often tell people that one of my family members had passed away to gain sympathy, then bring that family member back to life for the lols.

Nice attack for no reason, but it's not very effective. For starters, most people attention seek online because they care too much. They care what their perceived 'online friends' think; they care what random strangers have to say about them; they care whose feelings they're gonna hurt. Me? I don't. I don't have to make up some wild story when my real life is crazy enough as is. Plenty of material to tell a good story based in reality. Of all the ways there is to get attention, the last thing I'd do is use death. Do you have any idea as to how many ways I have that could easily garner A LOT of positive attention without having to resort to some weird 12-year-old kid's tactics? I've never been the type that does anything for the attention, though. Throughout the course of my time on here, everything that I've done has been 'anti-attention', because I hate the publicity. From cutting off VMs and PMs, to purposely holding out on becoming an article writer despite the fact that I could type up three or four articles in at least a day, to even degrading myself to be less of a person so as not to sound like such a tool all the time, etc. etc.--all attempts to avoid attention both positive and negative. I just wanna be left alone and read/type posts.

Secondly, I have loads and loads of proof of the event--audio, video recordings, medical papers, pictures, the whole nine--some of which I was actually planning to post on here on the May 17th--the anniversary of my brother's death. I only decided not to do it because I hold tight to the idea that I am neither obligated to reveal these things to some online strangers nor is any stranger online entitled to this information. Hell, if anything I'd say I never should've brought such a serious personal matter up to begin with; a sign that I've become too open on this site. We're not friends (or enemies) or kin, and I hold no obligation to prove anything to you, neither do you to me. I know we live in a world that just doesn't give a damn anymore, and that's whatever, but you shouldn't go attacking death, regardless. You might end up being the final push that drives an already grieving person over the edge. Attack, assume, troll, do whatever to random people online, but I beseech to you, leave death (without knowing the truth behind it) out of it. (Also, when did I ever 'bring my brother back to life' unless you became confused when I mentioned my two other brothers...because altogether there's six of us (including the two that passed on). People appear to remember something that's supposedly made up, but fail to remember the five siblings I'm always talking about in almost a third of my GD and MD posts?). There are three sides to every story: he said, she said, and the truth, and it appears you blindly followed some Internet rumor instead of doing your own research and seeking out the truth for yourself.

Lastly, the wolf mannerisms became popular due to other people. I guess they went off of the fact that I mention that I look kind of wolfish irl and the wolf is my favorite animal. I only played along with it and when it seemed like people found it funny. I subsequently adapted the mannerisms online as a way to loosen up a bit and become less of an uptight party-pooper all the time. I was such an uptight, serious a-hole around the time I first came here; I'm almost embarrassed about it. Glad I got over that phase*.

*on topic

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I have multiple to mention.

-obsessing over Blue Link to the point where I pretty much wanted to marry him
-drawing pretty much nothing but slash
-liking MLP: FIM kind of a lot (eugh)
-actually wearing make-up and earrings and doing my hair every day (lol)
-thinking I was a morning person

Of course, all of these have passed by now.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Nice attack for no reason, but it's not very effective. For starters, most people attention seek online because they care too much. They care what their perceived 'online friends' think; they care what random strangers have to say about them; they care whose feelings they're gonna hurt. Me? I don't. I don't have to make up some wild story when my real life is crazy enough as is. Plenty of material to tell a good story based in reality. Of all the ways there is to get attention, the last thing I'd do is use death. Do you have any idea as to how many ways I have that could easily garner A LOT of positive attention without having to resort to some weird 12-year-old kid's tactics? I've never been the type that does anything for the attention, though. Throughout the course of my time on here, everything that I've done has been 'anti-attention', because I hate the publicity. From cutting off VMs and PMs, to purposely holding out on becoming an article writer despite the fact that I could type up three or four articles in at least a day, to even degrading myself to be less of a person so as not to sound like such a tool all the time, etc. etc.--all attempts to avoid attention both positive and negative. I just wanna be left alone and read/type posts.

Secondly, I have loads and loads of proof of the event--audio, video recordings, medical papers, pictures, the whole nine--some of which I was actually planning to post on here on the May 17th--the anniversary of my brother's death. I only decided not to do it because I hold tight to the idea that I am neither obligated to reveal these things to some online strangers nor is any stranger online entitled to this information. Hell, if anything I'd say I never should've brought such a serious personal matter up to begin with; a sign that I've become too open on this site. We're not friends (or enemies) or kin, and I hold no obligation to prove anything to you, neither do you to me. I know we live in a world that just doesn't give a damn anymore, and that's whatever, but you shouldn't go attacking death, regardless. You might end up being the final push that drives an already grieving person over the edge. Attack, assume, troll, do whatever to random people online, but I beseech to you, leave death (without knowing the truth behind it) out of it. (Also, when did I ever 'bring my brother back to life' unless you became confused when I mentioned my two other brothers...because altogether there's six of us (including the two that passed on). People appear to remember something that's supposedly made up, but fail to remember the five siblings I'm always talking about in almost a third of my GD and MD posts?). There are three sides to every story: he said, she said, and the truth, and it appears you blindly followed some Internet rumor instead of doing your own research and seeking out the truth for yourself.

Lastly, the wolf mannerisms became popular due to other people. I guess they went off of the fact that I mention that I look kind of wolfish irl and the wolf is my favorite animal. I only played along with it and when it seemed like people found it funny. I subsequently adapted the mannerisms online as a way to loosen up a bit and become less of an uptight party-pooper all the time. I was such an uptight, serious a-hole around the time I first came here; I'm almost embarrassed about it. Glad I got over that phase*.

*on topic
Wolfie-senpai, I find it hard to believe that you don't care at all when you made this giant post in response. Just saying. I also find your constant "oh who cares about the internet" stuff to be sort of odd considering you once had a really close friend here who has stuck by you in tons of situations and you used to post about him a lot. We both know who I'm talking about. So don't be silly. You care, and it's okay to care. People on the internet are real people, real people with real feelings. Being in front of the computer doesn't dehumanize you. I've met a lot of great people on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom