• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Website Development

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Hello there fellow ZD'ers! I thought I would make a thread about website development.

Now what I would like to know is who else on this site does website development?
What coding languages do you use?
Which coding language is your favorite? (i.e. PHP or ASP/.NET)
Do you have a working website? (If so post it here. If it violates the ZD rules, just let me know. I'm being lazy about reading all of them lol.)

As for me, I have 2 websites:

1. In my signature. (It's my personal website. I haven't edited it much.)
2. A secret project to be revealed later on. (It's under development. I'm trying to work out all of the current problems.)

David

But you called me here...
Hello there fellow ZD'ers! I thought I would make a thread about website development.

Now what I would like to know is who else on this site does website development?
What coding languages do you use?
Which coding language is your favorite? (i.e. PHP or ASP/.NET)
Do you have a working website? (If so post it here. If it violates the ZD rules, just let me know. I'm being lazy about reading all of them lol.)

As for me, I have 2 websites:

1. In my signature. (It's my personal website. I haven't edited it much.)
2. A secret project to be revealed later on. (It's under development. I'm trying to work out all of the current problems.)

Hi. I'm a resident web developer. I'm the "tech admin" for the Dungeon Gaming Enterprises. I've coded Pokemon Dungeon, Darksiders Dungeon, and various projects of my own which have yet to actually be published or used.

The coding language that I use the most is PHP (along with HTML and CSS, obviously). PHP is probably the best language for you to use when you're developing a website as it is very widely supported, has a massive amount of users that know what they're doing, and it is extremely fast and efficient. However, ASP/.NET is a decent language that you can use for specific types of websites that need very minimal coding.

My working website is Pokemon Dungeon and Darksiders Dungeon. I'm building myself a personal website at david.vankomen.me where I'll have multiple things to show off. I also have plans and dreams for a few other sites in the Dungeon Gaming Enterprises, but other projects need to be done first.

Also, I'm not seeing a website in your signature.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Hi. I'm a resident web developer. I'm the "tech admin" for the Dungeon Gaming Enterprises. I've coded Pokemon Dungeon, Darksiders Dungeon, and various projects of my own which have yet to actually be published or used.

The coding language that I use the most is PHP (along with HTML and CSS, obviously). PHP is probably the best language for you to use when you're developing a website as it is very widely supported, has a massive amount of users that know what they're doing, and it is extremely fast and efficient. However, ASP/.NET is a decent language that you can use for specific types of websites that need very minimal coding.

My working website is Pokemon Dungeon and Darksiders Dungeon. I'm building myself a personal website at david.vankomen.me where I'll have multiple things to show off. I also have plans and dreams for a few other sites in the Dungeon Gaming Enterprises, but other projects need to be done first.

Also, I'm not seeing a website in your signature.

Yeah, and from what I've messed with, PHP is easier to use. And I put the site in my signature. I forgot I removed it a few weeks ago.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've been working with websites on a hobby basis for 10 years, now. I've basically taught myself by looking up stuff on the web, dabbling with code, etc. I did study IT in college and got certified as a JAVA programmer. But I hated doing websites in JAVA, because it was so much unnecessary extra work just to create the simplest html-page, so I started teaching myself PHP instead from this really great book I found at the library (first time ever I really enjoyed reading an IT-book) - I ended up loving the book so much that I searched for it and thankfully found it at a bookstore in town :)

I really, really love PHP as a language. I have never tried ASP, so I cannot compare those two, but for me PHP got really easy to learn because I recognized a lot from JAVA, and at the same time PHP had a much simpler execution style, not to mention a much more brilliant way of using arrays. This may sound geeky, but I fell in love with the way PHP does arrays, lol.

I do have a website, but it's very simple coding, sorting and listing content, changing themes, etc... it's nothing flashy, but it's done from scratch in PHP :)

Dream Universe

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
I've been working with websites on a hobby basis for 10 years, now. I've basically taught myself by looking up stuff on the web, dabbling with code, etc. I did study IT in college and got certified as a JAVA programmer. But I hated doing websites in JAVA, because it was so much unnecessary extra work just to create the simplest html-page, so I started teaching myself PHP instead from this really great book I found at the library (first time ever I really enjoyed reading an IT-book) - I ended up loving the book so much that I searched for it and thankfully found it at a bookstore in town :)

I really, really love PHP as a language. I have never tried ASP, so I cannot compare those two, but for me PHP got really easy to learn because I recognized a lot from JAVA, and at the same time PHP had a much simpler execution style, not to mention a much more brilliant way of using arrays. This may sound geeky, but I fell in love with the way PHP does arrays, lol.

I do have a website, but it's very simple coding, sorting and listing content, changing themes, etc... it's nothing flashy, but it's done from scratch in PHP :)

Dream Universe

Your site has a very nice design. I looked at the top of the page. Did you actually meet Nathan Fillion or was that a photoshop?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Your site has a very nice design. I looked at the top of the page. Did you actually meet Nathan Fillion or was that a photoshop?

Thank you, I try to create at least a little bit of variation with the different themes to keep things fresh, just need to think of other ways to display things, lol.

I've met Nathan twice, actually, once for almost 8 years ago and then again almost 3 years ago. The first time I didn't have a picture taken with him, so I was very grateful that I got a second chance at that, even though it did take five years before I got it, lol. The only "photoshopping" I've done on the site has been in arranging photos together to make layouts. You can find the original picture of myself and Nathan in the "Photos" section of the site ;)

http://du.shades-of-moonlight.com/index.php?page=showphoto&theme=default&id=c15nathan

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
To be honest I am not that good with webdesigns. I have a book about dreamweaver and how to use it and all but that's it. I know a little bit about css. I have my own personal website which is in my signature. I bought the domain name 2 years back. It is build by freewebs. Freewebs is not perfect if you wnat to have a large site like ZD but it is very good for personal use. It has a very easy editor and css which you can use to change settings to your liking

I'm getting a minor in web design, and find it to be one of the most simultaneously stressful and rewarding activities I've ever done. PHP is definitely my favorite - easy to comprehend logic and few dumb exceptions. I also am pretty well versed in sql, as well as CSS, HTML, and all that jazz.

I don't really have a personal website yet... The most intricate thing I've ever coded was for an assignment, making a fictional bookstore website. You can check it out here, if you're feeling particularly voyeuristic. ;) Forgive some of the logistical errors... Many of the additions were finished in the wee hours of the morning before the project was due.

I sort of dabble in it from time to time as a hobby, mostly client-side stuff like HTML, JavaScript and CSS. Though I know C#, Java and a little PHP, so it's not inconceivable that I might dabble in server-side stuff one of these days.

I made a simple site for an 9th grade English project but he turned his server to minecraft so it is no longer up. It was mostly html and jquery. I think we ran out of time so we didn't even bother with anything else- even css. I see advertisements for website builders and laugh.

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"
Hey everyone! I was wondering for those and ONLY those who have developed a website how you did so and how much money it costs and how easy it was to do so.

Thanks,
bobenstien

Dan

It doesn't take any money to build. Unless you are talking about servers for file management and storage etc, however to build a website it takes no money. Just time to learn. Start with learning HTML first which doesn't take that long. You should then learn CSS. I recommend you use this freeware tool entitled Notepad ++.

A good place to start your learning is here HTML.NET

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Hey everyone! I was wondering for those and ONLY those who have developed a website how you did so and how much money it costs and how easy it was to do so.

Thanks,
bobenstien

Well, you don't need any special programs to develope a website, only the knowledge on how to string together html tags and there are plenty of good tutorials out there (as linked further up the thread).

And how much money you spend on it or even at all, it depends on what you need. Is it a simple hobby-site, then you can find free hosts all over the web (10-11 years ago I started out making a small site on homestead, then after a couple of months I remade the site on geocities).

And if your site is decent enough you can also apply to be hosted by people who own their own domains and who are open to helping out other site-builders (I befriended a girl who bought her own domain and who liked my site enough to want to host me for free).

There are also relatively cheap ways to buy yourself some webhosting as well if you want to avoid adverticing on your site or having to rely on the kindness of strangers (my host's site ended up going down after a couple of years, I'm not sure why, but by that time I had already bought my own domain, so I didn't suddenly lose my site thankfully). I pay about 8$ a month for my hosting plan and I'm happy with what I get for my money.

As for how I developed my own website, my current was built from scratch with php. I bought myself a really well-written book on php, which outlined a lot of examples so I learned to code things in php in a step by step process. I also have a Bachelor in IT which was heavily focused on java, which helped me learn php much more easily (I prever php over java, even). Once I had the basics down I coded my site focusing heavily on the use of storing and extracting information from arrays, which helped my site become a lot more dynamic in the way it displays the content.

But I've been doing this for ten years. For a beginner I would recommend doing simple html-coding and go from there.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It depends on what your wishes are. Miskitten stated everything you need to know. There are a lot of free website builders which provide you a lot of help if you want a simple site like a hobby based one but if you want more you often have to pay for it. I bought my domain name and I don't pay that much. I secured it for 5 years which was way cheaper than actually buying it from year to year. Check out the tutorials provided and see if you can start to learn if yourself ;)

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"
Thanks so much misskitten! I love html.net and I go on everyday (dan) and your information was really helpful (misskitten).

Anyway, does getting a website on the internet cost any money? Can somebody give me a link to a good (and if possible, free :)) website hosting service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom