• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Web Browsers

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Google Chrome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple Safari

• Internet Explorer

• Mozilla Firefox

• Opera

• Maxthon

• Other

• Total voters

Kazumi

chagy
I've added an "Other" option to the poll, for other browsers that people may use which aren't very popular/well known. Rockmelt, Waterfox, ect.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I've always used Interent Explorer up until about a year ago and then I started using Google Chrome as it is the fastest for my computer to use. All the other browsers are just too slow and take forever to load for me.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Google Chrome is superior for general browsing. Firefox works better for games. I don't know why, but I've also gotten less errors in my email in Firefox. But still, Chrome's better for normal browsing. I occasionally swap between the two when one has a certain plugin I need that the other doesn't have.
Both are flawed in some way. Chrome has more power under the hood and can get things done faster. But it's also much younger and much glitchier. Some sites might have random problems with it. And sometimes it just gives up trying to load a page, or loads very slowly for no reason. And sometimes it won't stop loading even though all the page is loaded and the stop loading button won't do anything. To top it off its spell check is terrible, Ironic considering that the Google Search's spell check is excellent. You'd think they'd be the same.
Firefox on the other hand is more mature and less glitchy overall. However, for its entire existence it's had a very serious memory leak that puts a cap on how much browsing you can do before you have to close it. It can frequently run out of control and grind your computer to a hault. It also runs too much of its files directly off the hard drive instead of the RAM. This leads to the files themselves getting corrupted overtime forcing you to have to reinstall it. Both of these problems are not glitches. They're intentional. Mozilla thinks they're better. The memory leak is due in large part to pre-fetching. Firefox loads every webpage linked to on the current page it thinks you might click on into the RAM before you click on them, and then never takes them out of the RAM. The idea here is to speed up loading time, but they take it too far and it just makes things worse. The not loading files it uses to run onto the RAM is related. They're not loaded onto them to make more room for pre-fetched files. This makes Firefox very unstable and prone to severe lockups and lag. Because they're intentional, they're never fixed with updates. Mozilla thinks it's better. It's not.

In the end, I keep nearly all browsing to Chrome. And I only do one or two things at a time on Firefox, otherwise it goes out of control with the memory leak. And really, any other browsers are just a joke. Chrome and Firefox have their issues, but they beat out all others easily.

Both are flawed in some way. Chrome has more power under the hood and can get things done faster. But it's also much younger and much glitchier. Some sites might have random problems with it. And sometimes it just gives up trying to load a page, or loads very slowly for no reason. And sometimes it won't stop loading even though all the page is loaded and the stop loading button won't do anything. To top it off its spell check is terrible, Ironic considering that the Google Search's spell check is excellent. You'd think they'd be the same.

I have this problem all the time on Google Chrome with Microsoft Forefront. I try to access my file storage and simply cannot. When I switch to Firefox, however, everything runs smoothly.

In the end, I keep nearly all browsing to Chrome. And I only do one or two things at a time on Firefox, otherwise it goes out of control with the memory leak. And really, any other browsers are just a joke. Chrome and Firefox have their issues, but they beat out all others easily.

If you've never heard of it, I urge you to try CometBird. It easily ranks among the ranks of superior web browsers along with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I used to use Firefox but I though the updates were so unstable and actually ruined my hard drive somehow, so now I just use Safari, I don't really need all those plugins
Exactly my thoughts. I only use the plugins I am certain are useful but I don't like to have all those plugins and all extra addons. I don't use many anyway. The updates from FF used to be very poor with Windows 7 when I just got it but now it is okay. I used Iron Warez for a while. Great browser too

Wow really, Chrome? Maybe I should check it out - I've been using FireFox for years now and IE only when certain websites do not accept FF. Though do I want to jump on the google bandwagon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom