• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weapon Upgrades

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
At E3, Nintendo confirmed that there will be upgrades on most, if not all, the items. This makes sense seeing how there are only 8 slots in the item wheel (even though this hasn't been confirmed, I'm assuming there will be). So where do you think these upgrades will come from? I think there are multiple possibilities.1. In Dungeons. If there ARE only 8 items in the game, and if we follow the standard Zelda formula of "obtaining a new item in each dungeon and defeating the boss with it, that means the game will have a maximum of 8 dungeons. However, if Nintendo had an item upgrade instead if a whole item in a dungeon, they could create even more dungeons.2. In Skyloft. This one is probably the most likely, seeing how it was practically confirmed by Nate Bihldorff. They would probably be purchased in shops or by playing mini games (more bird riding, anyone?).3. Other. Those were my two main speculations, but there are other possibilities, such as after collecting all the Tears of Light in the Siren World or maybe after defeating a dungeon boss.What do you think?

Well, there was a video of link, who after using the beetle, went to a treasure chest and opened it. Inside, was the upgraded beetle. Whether this was a completely new beetle, or a magical chest that upgraded the old one when you opened it, i dont know. I hope this is changed, i dont like the way it happened. I hope there are a LOT of ways to upgrade items, (fairy fountains like in ALttP), etc. But not opening a chest to make your item better. It seems fake.

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
At E3, Nintendo confirmed that there will be upgrades on most, if not all, the items. This makes sense seeing how there are only 8 slots in the item wheel (even though this hasn't been confirmed, I'm assuming there will be). So where do you think these upgrades will come from? I think there are multiple possibilities.1. In Dungeons. If there ARE only 8 items in the game, and if we follow the standard Zelda formula of "obtaining a new item in each dungeon and defeating the boss with it, that means the game will have a maximum of 8 dungeons. However, if Nintendo had an item upgrade instead if a whole item in a dungeon, they could create even more dungeons.2. In Skyloft. This one is probably the most likely, seeing how it was practically confirmed by Nate Bihldorff. They would probably be purchased in shops or by playing mini games (more bird riding, anyone?).3. Other. Those were my two main speculations, but there are other possibilities, such as after collecting all the Tears of Light in the Siren World or maybe after defeating a dungeon boss.What do you think?
Just because there were 8slots in the demo doesn't mean that it will have only 8 items. Remember in Twilight Princess how the item wheel grew as you obtained more items? It maxed out at like 18 or so items as well if you were going for 100%.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
In an interview, a Nintendo representative said that you could go back up to Skyloft to buy potions, or upgrade your weapons... Maybe Skyloft will be like Clock Town, were a lot of the game's sidequests take place...

In the video/demo the beetle upgrade obtained was "the ability to grab things" such as bombs and pots, etc. I think if all items are to be upgradable its gonna add TONS of extra content since they said lots of the upgrades would be optional. It just sounds very non-linear and has me very excited!

I'm not really sure how this is gonna be pulled off but I'm oh so excited to see it. This is something I've been wanting for a long time in more of the 3D games.

I would like to see what happens with the slingshot. The only upgrades I can see for it are a diverse variety of ammunition (seeds) with varying effects (similar to OoX). When hearing about the ability to upgrade in SS, I could not help but think of the Crossbow and how it may result from this.

I would like to see what happens with the slingshot. The only upgrades I can see for it are a diverse variety of ammunition (seeds) with varying effects (similar to OoX). When hearing about the ability to upgrade in SS, I could not help but think of the Crossbow and how it may result from this.
the kinda said that the slingshot will tern to the crossbow

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
I would love to see upgradable items (even if I didn't, Nintendo's made it pretty clear they're in the game, hah), but I'd rather not EVERY item be upgradable. I like how A Link to the Past did it. Sure, you have items like the Bow, Hookshot, and Hammer, but then you had abotu half that were upgradable, like the Boomerang, the Swords, the Shields, etc. I like that approach. :)

T

TalesOfFan

If the item upgrades are not mandatory for the games completion, I think it would be likely that we would see them obtainable through some sort of side quest. If the flight is used for the overworld, upgrades could be gained much the same as they are in Wind Waker. Through finding "islands" that have fairys or some mini-dungeon on them. Nintendo did say that the overworld would be like one massive dungeon.

Djinn

and Tonic
The 20 minute long video did display multiple levels to the item screen. There was a wheel for the items/weapons, and another for bottles and shields.

screenxha.jpg

So there might be more than the eight slots for items and weapons seen in the demos. It could work like the Secret of Mana system where you could switch between several item wheels depending on what you were looking for. And there might be an upgrade to the amount you can carry later in the game as well. Just like wallet, bomb bag, and arrow upgrades you could have inventory upgrades that allow for more than the usual eight items.

Plus there is some speculation on just why Link bottled fungus spores in the Temple of the Sky, it could be an ingredient for an upgrade or at least some magical type of enhancement on any of your current items. There is really no telling what other mundane things you could collect by slashing at walls or plants that could be very useful to you later in the game. Remember in MM collecting gold dust lead to a better sword, something like that could be present in SS as well. They could even be used to another complex trade sequence like the Biggoron sword quest in OoT.

The 20 minute long video did display multiple levels to the item screen. There was a wheel for the items/weapons, and another for bottles and shields.

Those are the only two, though. Weapons are mapped to plus, and other items are minus. Maybe we'll be able to change the items in the minus menu. That would make sense, because bottles and shields don't really go hand in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom