• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weapon durability is introduced by the Sheikah Slate

I think I've tossed this idea around in the shoutbox a bit back in 2017 but since I'm playing BotW again, I thought I'd make a thread about this. So basically, I have had this thought for ages that the weapons you pick up in BotW are actually projections of the physical weapons that the Sheikah Slate then scans in. My main evidence for this is the fact that the versions of the weapons Link carries are often times a different scale than their original format (this is especially noticeable with larger ones like lynel weapons), so the Slate quite literally converts a physical item into data and stores it, that Link can then call upon to use (quite similarly to how Link fast travels, now that I'm describing it). This could explain why weapons that were previously being used by enemies have full durability once Link acquires them--brand new weapons are indicated by that sparkle on the inventory screen and new drops always have this. And this could also explain why the weapons shatter into Sheikah tech-looking sparks when their durability has been expended. So, the durability of each weapon could be byproduct of the Sheikah Slate's memory storage of these weapons rather than a physical durability. I'd like to make a sidenote that--without sequence breaking glitches that may or may not now be patched anyhow--you cannot leave the Shrine of Resurrection without the Slate, and therefore have no way to acquire a weapon without having the Slate in your possession. What are your thoughts on this?

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
I think that's very accurate. That would make the Sheikah Slate super evil, tho, because the weapons break. IDK, though, I don't think Nintendo would do something that elaborate, but it could be accurate in the fictional universe.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Honestly, that would make a lot of sense. And given how Link can fast travel by turning his body into energy, it's not at all a stretch to say that he could do the same with weapons by having the Slate generate energy to craft weapons from the data it has stored. I like this explanation for it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
These are all really good points, I think you are definitely onto something.
Sounds like the slate has a memory leak. The weapons don't break, as much as crash, and the corrupted data is promptly erased.
If this is actially the case than the weapons could actually be more durable than the sheikah slate is actually accounting for, and this could be a good explanation in the sequel to bump up the durability of weapons.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I ADORE this theory! It makes sense for why when the weapons break they explode into their little bursts of blue instead of metal shards and hilt flying everywhere. It would also explain how he is able to store them more than the traditional "I'm keeping the hookshot in my pocket!" explanation. I have two questions though- what happens to the original weapons? Are they literally physically downloaded into the sheikah slate? And secondly, what's up with the inventory expansion? The implication would be that Hestu can magically upgrade your storage by doing a song and dance. I mean it never made much sense anyway, but it makes even less sense for this theory.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
And secondly, what's up with the inventory expansion? The implication would be that Hestu can magically upgrade your storage by doing a song and dance. I mean it never made much sense anyway, but it makes even less sense for this theory.
uh
I think it makes more sense for hestu to be able to increase the storage on a device than for him to increase the size of your pocket dimension
but that's just me

magic can be magic too idrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom