• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"we think there’s a strong opportunity for a dedicated amiibo-centric game" - Reggie Fils-Aimé

So I’ve got nothing to announce today in that space, but I’ll tell you the Treehouse team, myself we visit Japan very frequently. And all of us share our wishes with the development team of what we’d love to see. And it’s not saying anything out of school to say that we’ve communicated that we think there’s a strong opportunity for a dedicated amiibo-centric game where it’s all about the magic that happens with amiibo. And so I’m certain that the developers are thinking about it, and thinking about what’s the unique Nintendo spin that would come in that type of gameplay.

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggi...ortunity-for-a-dedicated-amiibo-centric-game/

If you don't like the idea just don't buy the game, simple.

My question to you all is why do you all not want the game made at all? Why do you not want others to enjoy such a game? Will this kind of game existing harm Nintendo as a company or a brand in your opinion?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
If you don't like the idea just don't buy the game, simple.

My question to you all is why do you all not want the game made at all? Why do you not want others to enjoy such a game? Will this kind of game existing harm Nintendo as a company or a brand in your opinion?
Making a game reliant on overpriced, gimmicky figures that are next to impossible to find half of the time is a terrible business strategy. It's bad enough that some content on existing games is functionally locked behind a paywall, but requiring you to drop sixty bucks on a game plus another twenty apiece for gimmicks?

Making a game reliant on overpriced, gimmicky figures that are next to impossible to find half of the time is a terrible business strategy. It's bad enough that some content on existing games is functionally locked behind a paywall, but requiring you to drop sixty bucks on a game plus another twenty apiece for gimmicks?
What if the game was free to play and the only cost were the Amiibo? Would that change your opinion on this?

Past that I do agree with what you've said.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Not all that surprising, to be honest. Since the inception of Super Smash Bros. 4, Amiibos have been made into miniature figurines of our favorite video game heroes (and villains) and sold like hotcakes. Nintendo would inevitably have realized the convenience of basing a game entirely on items that are essentially collectibles. If these items make it to the market, then people will undoubtedly buy them, regardless of the price tag. Gimmicks or not, this is a judicious move on Nintendo's part, although Amiibos are hardly the only products to do this.

Sadly, in this day and time it seems that the "pay-to-play" market is becoming more rampant. Given the large success of the likes of Skylanders and what I guess is the semi-success of Disney Infinity, other manufacturers distributing their products to imitate said success wouldn't be unheard of. "Amiibo World" would probably take place in a crossover universe similar to Smash Bros. in concept, but totally different in gameplay. Yeah, this endeavor would rely entirely on the appeal of, say, Kirby fighting Donkey Kong in an open-world setting, using the figures as a selling point like DisInf does. That's how I conceive their approach, anyhow.

Overall, I don't like the idea of making a game based on statues which are, again, overpriced and often hard to find. Nintendo would benefit more by making them digitally available whether in-game or through the eShop. Online purchases of the real deal tend to take several days to arrive and in-store products can sell out quickly at any time.

Unlock amiibo in-game (make it very hard to do so) and then you can somehow use those digital amiibo for other games...
I agree but for me I'd just make the digital amiibo game DLC (not content you have to earn in game). Like in a way X game's DLC would be for many different games. And you'd have a digital Amiibo library on your WiiU. You'd add to this digital amiibo library via DLC purchased in the eShop or via tapping in your plastic toy amiibo.
Something like $5 per digital amiibo. And that would help the physical amiibo shortage too. People who only want the amiibo for the in game functionality can buy the digital amiibo, leaving more for the plastic toy amiibo collectors.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'm a bit indifferent.

On one hand, I get all the complaints, which are totally valid. Buying a game, and then buying a bunch of figurines just so I can play the game? No thanks. I'd rather just buy a game and have all the content there for me to unlock by doing something in game.

On the other hand, they're making an effort for people who have bought amiibo to actually be able to use them. I'd be a bit mad if the only thing I could do with my amiibo (which I don't have any) was just put them in Smash and that be it. As said above, you don't have to buy the game either because it's marketed at those who are actually out buying amiibo, or already have amiibo.

Probably not for me, but I don't mind seeing a game like this made.

Nintendo makes fun games, if they can balance supply and demand of their amiibo and make a skylander-esque game out of it, I would be begging them to take my money, but since they're handling amiibo supply like they do no thank you. That being said, the animal crossing game looks cute. I've never played AC or MP before. I'll wait and see how that goes. Hopefully they'll bundle it in "starter packs"

I'd be interested in the game only if it were free. Amiibo sales can cover up production costs if it's a relatively simple game. Some people have been throwing out the idea of a Nintendo Land sequel, Amiibo Land. A mini-game collection using Amiibo doesn't sound too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom