• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Water Temples

What do you think about the Water Temples? IF YOU SAY THEYRE CONFUSING STATE WHY! (i dont get why theyre confusing.)
The temples had very nice layouts it seemed to me, yet the bosses were always complete dog excreta.
*Flashback* Blob of water(oot) unfinished fish (mm) and a huge eel that doesnt have attacking capabilities. (tp)

I thought OoT had an okay water temple. it had an okay idea, nothing special.
MM had another okay idea, the fire and ice arrows were AN AMAZING IDEA!
Tp very clever with the water under the door and staircases. very good layout also, you could speed through and it had a serene look.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I personally liked the Water Temples. Yes they can be very confusing but they're pretty cool. I understand that people can get frustrated easily, but isn't that the point of Zelda? To explore, and that's what the water temple was, you had to explore, just alittle harder then usual.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I consider A Link To The Past's Swamp Palace the first water dungeon and I was never really fond of it since I found it difficult when first playing the game as a child.

Ocarina of Time's Water Temple was just never the legendary terror for me that people generally see it as. I had far more trouble with the Spirit Temple and Ocarina of Time 3D makes changes that make the Water Temple pathetically easy, I think. I find it borign more than anything else.

The Great Bay Temple did give me a lot of trouble but it wasn't the hardest dungeon in Majora's Mask. That distinction is undeniably Stone Tower Temple's. I loved seeing a 3D version of the Swamp Palace's boss show up as a mini-boss.

I can't really remember the dungeons from the Oracles games since I haven't played them in so long but I remember Ages having a water dungeon and vaguely remember being stuck in it for a while.

The Lakebed Temple was pretty straight forward, I found. I really liked the idea of redirecting the flow of water and it was a well desgned dungeon. The boss fight was epic but not really challenging. I guess that could be said of a lot of Twilight Princess's boss fights.

Although I don't really see the Ancient Cistern as a water dungeon because I felt it had fewer water related elements than others, it's still worth mentioning. I loved it from start to finish, especially the boss, Koloktos.

I think the main issues that I had with the water temples (in OoT especially) was the open layouts. They were never as linear as the other temples; you were always doubling back looking for keys and doors, and once you found a key, there were usually several locked doors to choose from. Water Temples were always a step above the rest in terms of difficulty. As I grew older, I learned to appreciate them a lot more. :)

I think the main reason people think that water dungeons are so confusing is because in OoT you could actually do the temple in a specific order to make it impossible to complete. that way you have to revert to a previous save or delete your file entirely.

Alos they are almost never linear, that causes people to scratch their heads. For example: TP, the staircase in the middle made it as un-linear as you can get. You had to move it a lot and that was very annoying.

The water temples are usually very confusing for me because I get disoriented very easily in them. Add in water levels rising/lowering and entire parts of the dungeon becoming accessible or inaccessible with switches and levers and I just get lost and unsure of where I'm supposed to go next.

I don't like temples that require you to change the water level. The water temple on TP was quite frustrating to me and the original water temple on OoT was sooo bad because if you used your key on the wrong door you would be unable to progress. Happened to me a couple times when I was younger.

F

ForeverZelda

I personally really like the water temples! Its my favourite temple in OOT :)

MW7

I think the main reason people think that water dungeons are so confusing is because in OoT you could actually do the temple in a specific order to make it impossible to complete. that way you have to revert to a previous save or delete your file entirely.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to actually get permanently stuck in the Water Temple disregarding glitches.

Also this only applies to the Water Temple, but I think a huge factor in the trouble it gives people is that you are able to hold many keys at once (up to four with a trick). Anyone who plays later games in the series before Ocarina is likely to get stuck in the mental set that the pattern in dungeons is key door key door key door rather than collecting multiple keys that can go to various doors depending on the order you get the keys. Really I think it's awful that the designers have gone away from this design because it makes things much easier when each key goes to a specific door.

Here's why I hate water temples: They're TOO LARGE. These temples take the most amount of time to finish, and get confusing because you always end up one key short, then you have to back through the whole god-forsaken temple to find it. =_= It's VERY FRUSTRATING. But I do agree that they have a nice layout.... Just too large.

~LPZeldaGamer

E

En Dabuwya

I understand the big hubub about the Water Temples, but personally, I just had to think a little more which I liked.

water temples aren't bad, but growing up with the water temple from oot, i've just always hated them. the water temple from oot was so frustrating, and you had to go thru the same rooms again and again. nope, not a big fan

I never beat the water temple on the N64 I just couldn't find all the keys but when we got it for the gamecube it helped going back and forth through the games to find all the keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom