• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Water Temple Overrated?

I found it rather easy and did it in a day, which was disappointing as I had been expecting a real challenge. You just need to systematically check each floor and door as you go through it. The only confusing bit was that I didn't know you were supposed to swim up in the room with Ruto.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Ah, I'm glad someone finally made this thread.

Anyway, I think the Water Temple is heavily overrated and criticized, much like a lot of other things in Ocarina of Time, such as Navi. For the record to all of the fans that don't like it, it isn't the only water dungeon in the series. Great Bay Temple and Lakebed Temple also have annoyances, but people hate the Water Temple because of the water levels. It's also kind of annoying to constantly change boots in the 64 version since the pause menu loads a bit slow, but this isn't a problem in the 3DS version.

Personally, I think it is just a little annoying. It's very annoying on your first play through since you don't know where to go, and you'll be tampering with the water levels constantly to go further. However, after you've memorized it, it's pretty easy. I still think the boot changing in the original is annoying, though. All in all, yes, it is criticized way too often, but then again, a lot of other things from Ocarina of Time are.

i found the water temple very easy in the 3ds version so it is defedently over rated as the "hardest" dugeon. for me it was only the iron boots that were a problem but that was fixed

Big Octo

=^)
I found it quite easy every time I played OoT. Seriously, its difficulty is cliched, and it's no harder than other temples.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
Not so much difficult as frustrating. Half the time I would raise the water level only to realize that I wasn't supposed to, then have to go all the way back to lower it again and etc.

And putting on and taking off the iron boots got very very annoying.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I never found anything wrong with it when I first played it. I just went through the game playing it the way it should be played. Maybe if I go back now I could understand why it was annoying for some people, it might even annoy me. But I don't think it was difficult, just annoying and boring because of the switching of the boots constantly.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Well, it can also be boring if you compare it to the other temple. The enemy count isn't high and the music is quiet and soft. On top of that, you've got to change the water levels a lot, and then put up with the slow-loading pause menu to change boots.

But again, it is still overrated nonetheless.

IHNo

The Other Side
Definitely. There's really nothing hard about it, not even the layout. It was more tedious than difficult, especially with the frequent changing of the iron boots, but OoT3DS fixed that. And as for backtracking - that was really never a bother for me because I always set a warp point with Farore's Wind in the main room of the temple. It's not as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be.

Dark Link was the only thing in the Water Temple that provided a real challenge. The Water Temple itself was of only moderate difficulty, in my opinion. It was rather frustrating, though, and I had one instance of "being lost", as there was that one key, but whatever confusion was overcome with the help of Farore's Wind. :yes: Overrated? Definitely.

Mickaroo

Call me Micky
Ocarina was my first zelda game and I found the Water Temple very challenging. Amazingly challenging. But instead of making me think "oh, this is so hard!" and giving up, I loved it! It is one of my favorite temples to date. I always liked the more challenging temples and puzzles, as I guess most fans do....
Great Bay Temple is awesome too, and also the Water Temple from TP.
OoT's Water Temple always ends up taking me forever though because I am so bad at getting all the keys! Gah!

Kybyrian

I don't really believe that the Water Temple presents much of an actual challenging atmosphere. The problem with most people is that backtracking tends to be generally disregarded as something you would normally do in a Zelda dungeon. You have to do this a lot in the Water Temple, and it can be pretty confusing if you don't know what you're trying to do. The abundance of rooms and the amount of running back and forth you have to do can really be frustrating; I can see why many people may be frustrated by the atmosphere of the Water Temple.

The truth is, if you keep a cool head and know where you're going, it's not that bad. I do admit that every time I run through I may get stuck at one point or another, but you have to try your hardest to remember where you've gone and where you're going. Besides using Farore's Wind to return to points you think you may have to later, that's the best tip I can give to anybody having problems with the Water Temple. It's generally rated as very hard because people just don't care to utilize the tactics necessary to overcome it in an efficient way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom