• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Water Temple or Great Bay Temple: Which is More Difficult?

I saw this meme and I lol'ed, but it also had me thinking...

Water-Temple-Torture_zpsb88aac20.png

OoT's Water Temple is known for being "hard", and it's featured in a lot of Zelda-esque memes. But is it really the hardest Water temple in the Zelda series? I thought the Great Bay Temple in MM was waaaaaaay more difficult. Which do you think is harder between the two?

Thoughts? Opinions? Gripes? ^^

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Water Temple is infinitely more confusing than Great Bay in my opinion, but Great Bay 100% run is harder to tackle than WT...

I realy can't say. I get stuck more in WT but GB is more daunting thanks to its length.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I got stuck far more frequently in the Water Temple, so it was harder exploration wise. The Great Bay Temple generally had tougher enemies though, and a much harder (and cooler) boss.

Overall, I find the Water Temple harder, but if your trying to get all the stray fairies, then the Great Bay Temple is more difficult.

Oh, and for the record, I do love the Water Temple...

I should also add that I don't find the GB Temple as hard because it had the pipes leading you in the right direction, whereas the Water Temple had nothing like that. The only part that was obvious was when Ruto swam up to the surface in that one room.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The only hard part about the Water Temple was finding the keys, but that was just because the layout was rather confusing. Other than that it's fairly easy. The Great Bay Temple presented a good challenge. The puzzles were pretty good and using the ice arrows and fire arrows interchangeably was designed pretty well. The layout was also designed pretty well, and it made traversing the dungeon tricky, but not to the point of tedium. The waterwheels were a nice touch, too. I think the Great Bay Temple is not only harder but also a better dungeon.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
tmfw (that meme's face when) I love the Water Temple.

I found the Great Bay Temple to be ridiculously hard.

That's the only Majora's Mask dungeon I used a walkthrough for because I had no idea what to do.

Skittles

Rainbows!
I find the Great Bay Temple especially lengthy, but not more difficult. They probably are just about the same difficulty. The mini-boss is rather hard in both, they can both be a little confusing, you have a time limit in MM, and the bosses are relatively easy. (Okay, I realize people might disagree with me on that last bit, but I've never lost to the shark or the water worm. Yes, that's what I call them...) They're equal in difficulty, really, though I'd say that the Great Bay Temple is much more fun and a lot cooler to just look at than the Water Temple. It's like...they did the Water Temple right.

Hey, you know, what you could've asked is which water temple is the hardest in the 3D games, too...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Hey, you know, what you could've asked is which water temple is the hardest in the 3D games, too...

Well, in that case...

I actually found myself getting stuck in the Lakebed Temple far more times than I did in either the Water or Great Bay Temples. The Lakebed Temple was also unnecessarily long and more time consuming than the others imo, and I actually like it a bit better than both of them. It is pretty much the only dungeon in Twilight Princess that actually gave me trouble.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nothing in the Great Bay temple is remotely challenging unless you count Stray Fairies...even then, it's not that hard. I can see why people wouldn't get the "freeze the water pillar" puzzle, but by this point, we know we're just gonna use the ice arrows to solve everything, so many of us figured it out by trial and error.

ILU

i luv u
I don't really fine one to be more difficult than the other, and I don't find either of them particularly challenging. However, with the Water Temple, the game is much less forgiving when making mistakes such as forgetting to raise/lower water levels or getting stuck/glitched on corners when compared to making mistakes in MM's Great Bay Temple. So, I'll throw in a vote for the WT.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll have to go off my experiences here...

To be honest I'm on eof many that struggled on the infamous Water Temple first time round, mainly due to me missing two keys and that's the thing with this dungeon, missing one key can really screw you over. The Great Bay Temple on the other hand I handled quite efficiently, I completed the dungeon relatively quickly and without too many moments were I became lost.

Judging the two from a neutral perspective though; both are similar difficulty wise, the element if water makes traversing that bit more complicated, you have the general restriction of water, it's not as simple as walking etc. However the biggest factor that the two dungeons revolve around are the manipulation of water. The two actually handle this in two different ways, the Water Temple included lowering and raising the water while in the Great Bay Temple you simply change the current. Now for me the Water Temple was definitely the more tedious however this was due to the design of the dungeon itself. The layout alone made this dungeon extremely complicated for a typical dungeon, multiple rooms on three alternating levels which revolve around a central structure. The sheer complexity of the layout made the manipulation of water much more difficult, one couldn’t just simply lower and raise the water, you had to go through quite a lot of lengths in order to do so and you would have to plan strategically which level you would go to in order to reach your destination. The Great Bay Temple had a rather simple layout, the task to change the currents was more challenging however changing the currents and navigating fro this was much easier, just follow the correct path and enter the rooms available. Since there was only two possibilities it made things much less complex.

Both had their fair share if individual puzzles however I feel the Water Temple slightly edged it on the difficulty scale, this was probably due to the idea of finding keys how within fits into more of the exploration aspect of the dungeon. The Great Bay Temple however had the better puzzles for me, all in all though the Water Temple and the more complex of the two, in my experience anyway.

However there could be a twist, if you consider the stray fairies then this raises the dungeons difficulty quite a lot. I found this dungeon to be the harder out of the other three in Majora's Mask in terms of finding and collecting all 15. Some were hidden in quite obscure locations and one could easily miss them making find them all a harder task all together, some also raided the puzzle and the longevity of the dungeon all together. However I would still say the Water Temple wins here, take out the inefficiency of switching to iron boots and you have a dungeon that is very complex with tough navigation and one that boasts some pretty challenging puzzles.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
The Water Temple was ridiculously hard, even with the walkthrough (shame...). Great Bay Temple I found to be much easier. It took time, but it wasn't extremely difficult, as others seem to find it. Just my :eek:nion:.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Jabu Jabu in Oracle of Ages is defiantly worse then the water temple. Gota go in huge circles around the whole dungeon, to change the water level between 3 different levels, and the path you have to take to get back to the room to change it is different depending on the water level.

edit:

And i never found the water temple that bad, just go around each level in a circle. Its just tedious because you gota pause to change boots 50 billion times.

I'd say the water Temple is harder than the Great Bay because of all the key confusion. The first time I played through that dungeon there was one key I didn't know where to find and actually made me give up the game for a few days. But I went back and finally found it. I played OoT when I was a kid so it was kinda challenging for me since that was the first Zelda game I had ever played. But a few years later I got the collector's edition and played MM on there. When I got to Great Bay the hardest thing for me was actually landing on platforms you had to dive out of the water for. And the second challenging thing for me was the changing of water currents.
In the end Great Bay wad more than one challenging thing for me but I'm gonna have tp give the hardest temple award to the Water Temple because it actually made me quit due to how frustrated I was with the keys.

Oh and now I really do love the Water Temple now because of how satisfied I am with finally being able to get through it with ease XD

Lewmonkaizer

luminouskaiser
Great Bay, hardest temple there is, like the water temple, once you forget at least ONE pipe to activate, you have go back aaaaaaall the way, and Great Bay had a more annoying mini-boss than the Water Temple.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Im makeing a bold claim but the Great bay temple makes the water temple look like inside the deku tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom