• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Water: Opaque (WW) or Transparent (TP)?

F

Fierce_Midna333

i really hope it will be transparent to add to the "depth" (so to speak) of the game. if its completely opaque like WW, i personally think it will not exactly look right with the mixed graphics; it wouldn't look genuine and correct, in my opinion

Austin

Austin
Huh. Well, I really didn't care for how the water appeared in WW so I guess I'm hoping for a more transparent TP style. Plus, if there is a water temple in this game (as I hope there will be), I don't really see how it would work with the same type of solid-blue coloring WW used.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I think translucent works. The opaqueness of Wind Waker worked for that game -- if anything to hide the fact that there was a submerged kingdom below. (Although the depth to it wouldn't be visible from the surface, but I digress...) The perfect clarity of TP's water was nice, and gave a great sense of depth, but wasn't too realistic. I never thought about it until this question came up, but a translucent quality to it would be nice.

I suppose it would be a good place to use the distance draw fog that plagued so many older games. Maybe this is why they didn't make the water murky in TP, in order to not get slammed about cheapening out with fog effects. I think a clarity to a certain depth / distance would be nice, and would hopefully be well achieveable in SS.

I really like that Naruto screenshot posted above. That is a style I'd be happy with as well.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Actually, if you watch the trailer, you can see a lake and a waterfall in the distance, around 1:20. It looks like it leans more towards the WW water but without the funky wave animation. Too bad, I like the transparent a bit more.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Actually, if you watch the trailer, you can see a lake and a waterfall in the distance, around 1:20. It looks like it leans more towards the WW water but without the funky wave animation. Too bad, I like the transparent a bit more.

I saw the waterfalls you're talking about here, I was going to post them, but then figured that would be kind of pointless... That water seemed inaccessible to they player, just for the sake of scenery, and as waterfalls, there would be a certain whitewater opaqueness going on anyway...I still think the still water will be more transparent

in the Wind Waker, for all that it was a gorgeous game, the water looked awful, so i think we should have clear water

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom