• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was There A Hero Before Skyward Sword Link?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This is a topic that's been on my mind a long time. There's only one instance in Skyward Sword where it's hinted that there might have been a Hero before Skyward Sword Link, and that's during the presentation of the Sailcloth during the Wing Ceremony:

Zelda said:
You know, they say that the Goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago. Of course, the one you're holding isn't the same one

I usually go back and forth on how to take this. Sometimes I wonder if there really was a Hero before SS Link, but the problem there is why isn't he mentioned within the legend of sealing Demise away? Perhaps the whole ceremony is a faux re-enactment, and is just a way for SS Link to get a Sailcloth, which is an item he'll need?

It's definitely a weird topic. Which answer do you lean in favor of?

Well the HH has a non canon manga with a Link before SS (which is a much better story btw). I don't know what a non canon story is doing in a canon book but there you go.

Aonuma also said that SS may not always be the beginning... so there likely will be a prequel to SS at some point wih a hero.

At this point I'd say it is very likely that there is/was/will be a hero before SS.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yeah there could be a hero before skyward sword, but this hero almost certainly would have failed and not necessarily been a wielder of a triforce, otherwise hylia wouldn't have sent her people to the sky. My understanding is that before skyward sword there was just a massive war between light and dark

Link could also be a reincarnation of that hero just like Zelda is a reincarnation of hylia, but that's dubious since it would have likely been mentioned in game if that were the case

Link in Skyward Sword is refered as Hylia's chosen hero. He is the one who destroy both Demise and the Imprisioned by hers instructions. Hylia gave up her immortality to this cause. I wonder if the spirit of the hero is also a reincarnation of a previous God. In MM, I imagine Fierce Deity being the hero of Time being able to attune to this previous form using the bonds he created in Termina.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
This is a topic that's been on my mind a long time. There's only one instance in Skyward Sword where it's hinted that there might have been a Hero before Skyward Sword Link, and that's during the presentation of the Sailcloth during the Wing Ceremony:

I usually go back and forth on how to take this. Sometimes I wonder if there really was a Hero before SS Link, but the problem there is why isn't he mentioned within the legend of sealing Demise away? Perhaps the whole ceremony is a faux re-enactment, and is just a way for SS Link to get a Sailcloth, which is an item he'll need?

It's definitely a weird topic. Which answer do you lean in favor of?
We can clearly see from the introduction that the goddess seals Demise herself. Even if there was a hero he has failed to vanquish Demise.

I'd say that Skyward Sword still serves as the earliest point of Hylian history, but given Zelda's words to Link, I think it's possible there was a hero predating the events of Skyward Sword who served in Hylia's army against Demise, hence the title bestowed to SS LInk as being "Hylia's Champion". It also reveals some very interesting philosophical implications for Breath of the Wild who is also referred to as a Champion or the Chosen One. I wish I could say more but it would all be conjecture at this point.

What if all time in Zelda is circular and BOTW Link's sail cloth is what they were talking about. . . . .

(:

Seriously though prior to everything being raised to skyloft there was a Kingdom down on the ground. A Link could've held off the dark armies long enough for the Goddess (who could've also been human) to raise the kingdom to the sky until Demise was sealed. Perhaps she lost her "life" sealing Demise which is how the Kingdom got stuck in the sky, until another incarnation of the Goddess returned to combat a Demise who finally gained the strenth to attempt to escape.

Goroganos

My top 3: TP, MM, SS
What if all time in Zelda is circular and BOTW Link's sail cloth is what they were talking about. . . . .

(:

Seriously though prior to everything being raised to skyloft there was a Kingdom down on the ground. A Link could've held off the dark armies long enough for the Goddess (who could've also been human) to raise the kingdom to the sky until Demise was sealed. Perhaps she lost her "life" sealing Demise which is how the Kingdom got stuck in the sky, until another incarnation of the Goddess returned to combat a Demise who finally gained the strenth to attempt to escape.
This is improbable, since it would mean the master sword transforms back to the divine sword, Zelda becomes Hylia again, and Fi is brought back to life
I think Demise is the past hero that turned evil. I don't know though that's a far stretch lol.
Also improbable, as Demise is said to have emerged from a crack in the earth with an army of demons in the SS intro

I don't think a previous Link would be possible, since, for one, the thing that makes him reincarnate is Demise's curse (so he couldn't reincarnate to SS Link). Plus, Demise doesn't seem to recognize Link, and even says he never saw anyone with the courage to face him (considering that all Links look similar, and that courage is a trait they all have). The only explanation to this would be if the previous Link didn't make it to Demise and died facing a random monster (Giriahim doesn't recognize him either, so not him). Then Hylia would remark his courage and reincarnate his soul for her chosen hero.

In Skyward Sword, Hylia was said to be severely injured during the battle against Demise. She was also the one who created Skyloft.But, in the manga, her chosen hero was the one who was critically injured by Demise and brought the Kingdom of Hylia into the heavens with the Master Sword.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
In Skyward Sword, Hylia was said to be severely injured during the battle against Demise. She was also the one who created Skyloft.But, in the manga, her chosen hero was the one who was critically injured by Demise and brought the Kingdom of Hylia into the heavens with the Master Sword.
Tho it's Canon, that doesn't sit well with the story because the people who injured in battle in demise are different, which is a big contradiction. Therefore, the manga shouldn't be taken into consideration imao.
The hero Zelda refers to is some random Hylian who was chosen to be her bodyguard or something

I also don't see any need to link articles about Skyloft and Sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom