• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Was the Shield Bash Too Strong?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Shield bashing is an technique that you can use - with timing - to negate damage from the enemy as well as negate damage dealt to your Shield Meter. However, I feel that it was simply too strong; if you bash your shield into an incoming attack, chances are you will STILL sustain some sort of shield damage, perhaps even more than if you just let the attack run into your shield.

What's your opinion on thei shield bash?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
No, because it shield bashes when i'm walking around and twitch slightly, and then never does it when i'm actually in combat no matter how hard I shake that nun-chuck or gently I shake it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I feel the priorities were backwards...using a shield normally damages, but THRUSTING it offensively, keeps it safe? Whaaa? Maybe remove the meter and make shield bashes harder to pull off or something...

Salem

SICK
The shield bash is a NEEDED skill for the player to do, otherwise they will just lose shields.
I feel the priorities were backwards...using a shield normally damages, but THRUSTING it offensively, keeps it safe? Whaaa? Maybe remove the meter and make shield bashes harder to pull off or something...
I know right?

I didn't really use the shield bash to much in the game (only for the 1st Ghirahim fight). But It was too strong though. They should of not made it that strong. I definitely thought it was a good idea though.

Big Octo

=^)
Hmm, I'd say yes. It prevents Demise from executing some of his attacks during the first phase. It also does so for many other enemies, rendering them completely weak. If added into Zelda U, hopefully it will be nerfed so it's not the impenetrable defense technique it was in Skyward Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Not quite OP, but a tad bit forgiving. No kind of perfect timing is required to stun an enemy, so it is a little easy to exploit once you get the hang of it. It still requires fairly accurate timing, so it's also not exactly flawed in design, but it could be refined in the future to only stun enemies if perfect timing is executed. Otherwise it just blocks attacks without the shield(s) taking damage.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Now that I think about it, yes, it is. I never actually paid it much mind in the heat of battle, but when you look at what it does on paper it is very OP. I still like it, though, and want a nerfed version in Zelda U.

What if shield bashing was the thing that decreased the meter? That would make more sense and nerf it at the same time.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
What if shield bashing was the thing that decreased the meter? That would make more sense and nerf it at the same time.

THAT is what would be backwards. There would be zero point in using it.

If you didn't already know, video games don't make sense. At all. Especially series like Zelda. Enemies dropping hearts which heal you? Carrying huge-*** items in tiny pockets? Said items not weighing you down? None of this makes even a lick of sense. But you know what? It doesn't matter because they're the mechanics of the game. Suspension of disbelief allows us to take them seriously. The same thing applies to the Shield Bash and even Shield Meter. Don't try to make sense out of something that could only make sense in a video game.

DarkestLink

Exactly. It needed both.

THAT is what would be backwards. There would be zero point in using it.

The point being to stun your enemies. The shield lost its primary focus: defense. It became an offensive item and almost no purpose for defense.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The point being to stun your enemies. The shield lost its primary focus: defense. It became an offensive item and almost no purpose for defense.

Nope. That was in TP where you could use the Shield ATTACK at will. The Shield BASH is a defensive maneuver that is only effective when an enemy is on the offensive.

Sorry, pal, your argument has no merit.

DarkestLink

Nope. That was in TP where you could use the Shield ATTACK at will. The Shield BASH is a defensive maneuver that is only effective when an enemy is on the offensive.

You had the option of shield attacking, but mostly it was used for defense. In Skyward Sword, you have one option: The Shield Bash, which is basically an OP version of the shield attack. If you used the shield defensively, you were severely punished for it.

Sorry, pal, your argument has no merit.

...Do you really need to add comments like this into your post? It doesn't nothing to further your own argument and kinda makes you look a bit stubborn and rude.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You had the option of shield attacking, but mostly it was used for defense. In Skyward Sword, you have one option: The Shield Bash, which is basically an OP version of the shield attack. If you used the shield defensively, you were severely punished for it.

You've completely lost me. How was the Shield Attack used for defense? It was literally used to initiate the Helm Splitter and was clearly designed as an offensive move, as it hit enemies directly (hence the name Shield ATTACK). The Shield Bash is used to parry incoming attacks, which is a DEFENSIVE move. There's no way you can logically tell me it's the reverse. It just doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom