• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Was the Shield Bash Too Strong?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You've completely lost me. How was the Shield Attack used for defense? It was literally used to initiate the Helm Splitter and was clearly designed as an offensive move, as it hit enemies directly (hence the name Shield ATTACK). The Shield Bash is used to parry incoming attacks, which is a DEFENSIVE move. There's no way you can logically tell me it's the reverse. It just doesn't make sense.

Thing is, the shield attack is just a side addition of the shield, which is mainly used for defense. The shield bash is the ONLY thing the shield can do. Should you have to gall to use the shield for defense, not only will it fail, but you will be punished for trying.

EDIT: The one except is if you have a higher tier shield and are guarding against Ghirahim's daggers.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Thing is, the shield attack is just a side addition of the shield, which is mainly used for defense. The shield bash is the ONLY thing the shield can do. Should you have to gall to use the shield for defense, not only will it fail, but you will be punished for trying.

The Shield Bash IS defense, though. It's also offensive in the sense that it creates openings in enemies defenses/bounce back enemy projectiles, but it can only be executed if an enemy is attacking. The Shield Attack can be used whenever.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I gotta agree with JJ on this one, well I'll be! LOL

For real though, I Love the shield Bash, and the Attack, i dont care what it is, just take away that dang durability meter, its just stupid. its bad enough we gotta worry about fire for the first three dungeons burning up our shield.

Was it over powered? yeah in a game where enemies are already a lil on the derpy side, i would say it is. However if Combat were more difficult in Zelda, the shield bash/attacks would be balanced. Heres the problem, as more zelda games come out, they give Link more abilities, but I dont think the enemy AI has gotten any better since WW. Link is a Beast when the player knows how to play the game, and they have done plenty for him. i think its time to focus on the enemies a lil, cuz Link is OP from the start if you think about it, add in the power of the master sword, and those poor idiots have no chance!

DarkestLink

but it can only be executed if an enemy is attacking. The Shield Attack can be used whenever.

Did...you not finish your thought here? What difference does that make? And no, technically you can Shield Bash whenever you want.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Did...you not finish your thought here?

What?

What difference does that make? And no, technically you can Shield Bash whenever you want.

OH, A TECHNICALITY. I LOSE, YOU WIN. :dry:

Please tell me you knew what I meant. The Shield Bash does absolutely nothing effective unless an enemy is attacking. Do I really need to be that specific with you?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No. It's simply an addition for defense, not overpowered in any way, unless you count knocking an enemy backwards.

I've no beef with the Shield Bash, but the meter itself gave me grief. Yeah, giving the shields a gauge to determine the strength/frailty might have been a good idea to begin with, but it eventually felt like a burden. The point of having defense is to protect yourself; the consequence of failing to defend yourself was losing a piece of heart, and always has been. But tack on a gimmicky meter to that and you take away any worth of carrying a shield. Battles felt really rushed because of that, although Link could backtrack out of harm's way [in most areas], yet shouldn't need to during a fight.

All in all, using the shield to repel enemy projectiles was fun, and something that could be expanded upon in the future, too.

DarkestLink

Please tell me you knew what I meant. The Shield Bash does absolutely nothing effective unless an enemy is attacking. Do I really need to be that specific with you?

So? The same thing is true with parrying. That's still a very offensive move. In fact, that's what the shield bash reminds me of most...the parry attack in Wind Waker.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So? The same thing is true with parrying. That's still a very offensive move. In fact, that's what the shield bash reminds me of most...the parry attack in Wind Waker.

It's defense is an offense. There's nothing wrong with that. The best defense is a good offense, remember that.

Fig

The Altruist
I always thought that the shield bash was a very good move to use during combat. But sometimes if you are fighting an abundance of monsters (horde battle anyone?), you might want to execute it only when you know that you won't get hit while you are taking the recoil damage (you know, when Link takes a few seconds to get back to normal stance). The shield bash is a great move none the less, you just need to simply time it wisely in combat.

ThrawnTheater

Hylian Grand Admiral
I would say yes, slightly. To me, after you've executed a shield bash, the game gives you way too much time to attack your foe. I know we're talking about video games, were what could actually happen isn't really relevant, but it just seems not quite right to me that you can stop Demise, the Demon King, from doing anything for a couple seconds by hitting him with your shield...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom