• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Navi or Any of the Companions Really Annoying? I Think... NO!

My entire youth playing Zelda, I not once thought "wow, that fairy needs to bloody die." Navi always seemed to be the perfect guide on my quest to save Hyrule. I mean, Navi was designed for new players who are stuck or aren't sure on where to go. She gives you hints and such to keep you on the right path. Think of the alternative. Ocarina of Time could have been a very linear adventure game like God of War, but Nintendo as always allowed us to do whatever we wanted in almost no particular order. I mean seriously, to this day, almost a decade and a half after its release do you even know which dungeon you're SUPPOSED to complete first "the shadow or spirit temple"? If we're a new player and don't know where to go Navi gets us headed in the right direction.

Until I became an active in the online Zelda community I had absolutely no thoughts on Navi or any "side kicks" being annoying. I wasn't a huge fan of Midna, but thats because she was a half naked cat or a pedophilic furry hentai lovers dream.... With a redesign I'm sure she would have been excellent. Her abilities are vastly the best within the franchise, but Navi is still my favorite. I didn't even think Fi was annoying, maybe a little confusing, but that just adds to the adventure. "having a partner the player can barely understand..."

I think it is the memes and jokes that INFLUENCE everyone elses thoughts on Navi and other companions. I have more to say, but honestly its just more rambling and I've already been on ZD to long today. Work calls!!!! =/ btw I seriously miss writing news posts and such "hint hint" if you're reading this bastin "if that is your real name" or is it (Se)bastian? lol

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Even before the internet Navi really bothered me. I always hated how she kept pestering me to go to places, even though she had already told me the same thing mere moments ago. The endless repeating of her lines angered me. My parents can account for that.

I didn't like her voice very much, either. The way it shrieks and hurts my ears will forever haunt me.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
[video=youtube_share;N-KEuSt0lZI]http://youtu.be/N-KEuSt0lZI[/video]

Darn fairy!

Nah, in all honesty I'm the same. I never found a single one of th companions annoying. I can understand why people would find some annoying, like Fi for instance, but I always liked them. Navi never really seemed to bug me all that often and I love how cute her voice is so when she says "Hey! Listen!" or "Hellooo!" or "Watch out!" I was just like 'D'awww :3' instead of 'Darn fairy!'.

I agree that the jokes about how annoying the companions are has made people think they are more annoying than they really are. I mean, Navi gets a lot of flack and when you play the game, she's really nowhere near as intrusive as people make out. She's no Fi (even though I really liked Fi ^^)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Initially Navi annoyed me. Then I missed her after not seeing her for a while. Until I got the Collector's Edition and reunited with her! =D

Tatl I've always loved.

King of Red Lions... was never really around, so I can't say he annoyed me since he, well, wasn't around TO annoy me.

Hated Midna at the beginning of the game. But then she slowly became humble. And hot at the very end. <3<3<3

Fi annoys me, but there are a lot of traits I like about her, so I just have to take her presence with a grain of salt.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Yeah, personally I also never really found the various companions annoying; they were just there and played their roles which never bugged me at any given instance. Whenever a companion would wish to speak up I’d let them, and then after reading whatever it is they had to say, just continued on my way like nothing. I’m just overall a mostly calm guy though, so what others may have found annoying about them I just saw as nothing to complain about, but that’s just me.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I've just never found any of them helpful, so what gets me mad is that there is no way to turn their notifications off.

vengenz

Sheikah Warrior
Navi will always be my favorite.
She may have been annoying but I don't like her absence.
I'm a big OoT fan, maybe that's why too.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
No, the only companion was Fi. Everytime you start the game, she tells you about the 66th amber relic you found; not very fun. Navi, however, I believe is said to be annoying because one person said it and everyon jumbed on the bandwagon. Midna was also for telling you about the rupees, every single time.

I think most people find Navi annoying for the same reason most people find Justin Bieber annoying: because it's popular to, not for any personal reason. You can have various reasons for disliking one or the other, but the jokes and hate usually come from being socially popular, not because the subjects did something to offend you personally.

I would categorize Navi as mildly annoying. I didn't mind her that much, but can't you see I am on my way to the freaking Deku Tree?!? Then you exit out of the text box and continue on your day as normal, forgetting anything happened. Navi was also generally helpful for tips and hints, and she was probably a godsend to the new Zelda player. Even so, she did have her frequent irritating moments. Nothing big, but you could never totally ignore it. You had to press Up C sometime.

I've never found any other companion that annoying, except for perhaps Fi. Skyward Sword is rather notorious for including a little too much text everywhere in the game (I know what an Amber Relic is!), so Fi is just another byproduct of that, but I also felt she cheapened some of the simpler puzzles for me. It's like being a little kid on Christmas morning, about to unwrap a very strange-looking gift, only to have your mother tell you exactly what it is before you can get to it yourself. No biggie, but it kind of downplays the fun.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I think most people find Navi annoying for the same reason most people find Justin Bieber annoying: because it's popular to, not for any personal reason. You can have various reasons for disliking one or the other, but the jokes and hate usually come from being socially popular, not because the subjects did something to offend you personally.

There is a very strong reason for disliking Navi, she keeps telling me obvious things and there is no way to stop her from interrupting me constantly, not to mention she doesn't even seem to like me. But she is the easter bunny compared to Kaepora Gaebora.. :rolleyes:

for god sakes Nintendo, add an option for players to decide wether or not they want help from a fairy. :xd:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Navi did not annoy me until my second run. She was a great companion for people who were playing Zelda on the N64 for the first time. On the second run through, or even now adays in general, what Navi says in annoying because you most likely already know what she's about to say, and the fact that she's interrupting your adventure and thought process doesn't help.
Most help characters that I find annoying, I do so because of their Personality. However, I believe Fi deserves the prize for being legitimately annoying. With phrases like...

"Master, do you see the glowing object in front of you?"
"Master, listen closely. Do you hear that?"
"A report, master. (Repeats everything that was just said 2 seconds ago)"

Fi makes people feel like they're idiots. Its not that she's not useful sometimes. If she only stated obvious facts when you asked about them, that would be a bit better. But the fact that she feels the need to tell Link to take one step in order to walk drives people crazy!!!

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Fi makes people feel like they're idiots. Its not that she's not useful sometimes. If she only stated obvious facts when you asked about them, that would be a bit better. But the fact that she feels the need to tell Link to take one step in order to walk drives people crazy!!!

I wouldn't say that. Well, I guess some people take it that way, but that was never the issue with me. My issue was just how constantly she popped out to say something. What she was saying never really bothered me. It was her characterization in action. She was very analytic and calculative, so she offered her take on things.

I'm not saying this was executed well -- it wasn't. I'm just saying that people criticize her for the wrong reasons.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I never really found any companion truly annoying until the advent of SS; I exaggerated Navi's HEYLOOKLISTEN, but that's about it. The only truly annoying companion in my opinion is Fi. Why Fi? Well, I'll list the things she does:
- Repetitive, Robotic Voice (much like Midna's gibberish, becomes nerve wracking after a while for me)
- Pops Out At Every Inconvenient Moment....and then some!
- Ridiculously long dialogue that can only be mitigated by a small degree
- Won't stop beeping to get your attencion!
- States the obvious no matter what, even if we found something out just a minute before she did!
For those reasons, I call Fi the only truly annoying companion. Navi is much lower than Fi on the annoyance scale to me. :)

Last edited:

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I thought Navi was ok I like the idea of Link having a fairy companion.
Tatl is my favourite sidekick however and I love her rude comments it was a fresh change from Navi and some of the other sidekicks.
Linebeck is another favourite of mine I think he's hilarious and makes Phantom Hourglass a really fun game.
Same with Midna she's a brilliant character and I loved her attitude in Twilight Princess.
Fi I didn't like she was a boring character and never has any redeeming features to me. I wasn't sad at the end of Skyward Sword because of it.

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
Navi was not Annoying at first. She was a great help through-out the entire journey (aside fighting Ganondorf) However after you've master the game you really don't need her insistent shouting. They should make a Tips option to turn navi off if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom