• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Navi or Any of the Companions Really Annoying? I Think... NO!

I find all of the fairies annoying to various degrees. Navi wasn't that bad, she just got on my nerves every now and then. She was actually one of my more trustworthy partners. My only problem was that she would keep nagging me every ten minutes or so until I did whatever it was that I was supposed to do. Tatl was probably my least favourite. She was no help whatsoever, and treated Link like an incompetent fool. I seem to remember one enemy that I asked her about because I wanted to know about it. I got a reply along the lines of "Don't you know what this is?" (No, I don't. That's why I asked). And that was the last time she was allowed to speak to me. As for Ciela, I can't remember what she even did. Linebeck was more of a partner to me than she was. Now, I'm not saying that because I don't like her, I just literally cannot remember what she did in PH.

As you've probably figured out, I think Linebeck was awesome. The King of Red Lions was a cool partner, but I would get irritated whenever he would talk to me instead of letting Link climb aboard (I almost drowned quite a few times because of this). Zelda's spirit was a fun one. I thought it was hilarious whenever she would scare the living daylight out of Link. Midna is probably my favourite companion. She was an inconsiderate jerk just full of sarcasm for a good portion of the game, and that is exactly why I love her; Midna acts exactly how I would. I said earlier that Tatl was a total jerk, but what sets Midna apart (the reason why I don't hate Midna in the way that I do Tatl) is that she grows more kind over the course of the game and actually helps Link. In fact, she is the first of only two companions (that I am aware of) to physically help Link fight something.

Finally, there's Fi. I'm apparently not like a good bit of you on this one, as I love Fi. She's probably my second favourite partner ever. I love her computerised voice (just like I love Midna's random nonsense) and her singing voice, but what really gets me is that she actually associates certain sounds with certain words (like the phrase "Master Link". She even changes it to coincide with just saying "Master" or "Link"). I don't know why, but Fi just cannot annoy me; I like everything about her.

Navi never annoyed me my 10/11 year old mind was too blown away by a character in a game speaking in english every now and agin for me to find it annoying since i squeed everytime and would play Saria's Song just to make Navi speak. She also got me out of danger a few times too with some trusty grabs of my attention before disaster struck.

Tatl was okay, nothing to write home about, she jingled, wasn't as fun as Navi but was a little more interesting since she had a back story we weren't privy to.

Midna i loved, she is the little slave driver who could, she was cute and i liked her progression throughout the game even if it was in the traditionally jarring way of usual nintendo storytelling and characterisation.

Fi.. she is an odd one, i dont hate her, she is captain obvious and i do wish she'd at least give me time to forget what im supposed to be doing instead of prolonging long conversations by reiterating what ive just been told, saying that though i liked the sound of her voice, her design was cool, her dancing was nice (she should have done more of it) her singing animation is god awful though and one mistress of the sacred flame scene is repeated and i didn't like that, her goodbye was terribly tacked on too imo and pushed herself into the cliche robo-emotion crap that we've seen so many times before, which is annoying because for all she was an emotionless and annoyingly obvious entity she was still one of if not the most interesting character in the game for me.

So... yeah, Fi is annoying but maybe its a level of how much i hate SS to say that she was one of its best features...

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Well, lets see...

Navi: Navi never really annoyed me that much, I mean sure she did some times but she really isn't as annoying as alot of people make her out to be.
Tatl: Well I've only played a little bit of MM, but from what i've played shes a total brat and if I saw in real life I'd hit her with a fly swatter.
KORL: Not annoying.
Midna: Midna, OH MY GOODNESS was a spoiled brat when you first met her, and she sort of redeemed herself by the end but then I started again and shes back to being really annoying.
Fi: Fi has got to be the most helpful but simultaneously annoying helper in the whole legend of zelda series I go back and forth between liking her and disliking her, I found her constant bleeping when I was low on hearts or had low battery, but then she also was very helpful when explaining the strengths and weaknesses of enemies.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Navi doesn't bother me, she is awesome.

I hated Midna at first because of how rude she was, but now I understand and love her.

I think Elzo is funny.

I like Fi, she is a very interesting character. Yes she is annoying when she starts to remind you of the same stuff over and over, but overall a very cool character.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I wish OoT had been more linear. But yeah, Navi annoys the hell out of me. She interrupts me way too much. She needs to learn that if I want her help, I will ask. I know how to oepn a freaking door, Navi. I am not ********.

Quit telling me a hand is going to grab me, let me have some fun and get SURPRISED by it like I was in Majora's Mask.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I never Navi as an annoyance. She was the perfect guidance for me in OoT. It all depends on who finds Navi annoying. I never found her annoying. She was actually cute, funny, and helpful. She does know how to help you find hidden things through the quest.

Scoby

France
I like navi, she is cute and helped me throughout game. But i do not like that owl that talks alot :(

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I was never really annoyed with any companions. Sure they sometimes inconveniently popped up, or constantly stated the obvious, *cough cough Fi* though in the end, I was sad to see them leave.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The companions may be annoying on any playthrough that's not your first; however, they are actually helpful on your first run through the game.

The reason Navi had to explain every little thing to you was because that was Nintendo's first experiment with a 3D Zelda. 3D controls are much different than 2D controls, so it makes sense that they included somebody to tell you how to climb ladders, or open doors, etc. They stopped this because 3D controls had become more familiar with Zelda gamers as more games were released. The only thing I find annoying about Navi is her constant badgering to get you to go to the next dungeon while trying to do sidequests. But this probably isn't a problem on a first playthrough since most people won't be too focused on getting 100 gold skulltulas on their first run through the game. But if it's not your first time through the game, your not going to need to be told that the "iron boot weigh a ton" because you'll already know that!

Tatl was an improvement over Navi. She doesn't constantly badger you to go to the next dungeon. Although she was extremely rude, it just made her more lovable IMO. Although, I do think her enemy descriptions could have been a bit better...

Midna is probably my favourite companion of all! I just love her personality, and she's got tons of character development (at the beginning of the game, I hated her, but at the end, she proved that she really is a caring 'person'). Her tips are helpful, and she doesn't call you to give you tips every 5 minutes! Plus, she is one of the few (if not the only) companions that physically help you in combat.

Fi, Fi, Fi... I think she's somehow become the most hated companion in the series! But I don't get why! Sure she's annoying, but her hints are always extremely helpful. And admit it, you always appreciate it when she informs you your batteries are low! Except maybe, you know, every time you turn the game on... And, you know, how she always tries to tell you your hearts are low when you can see the life gauge yourself! But other than that, she only gives you help when you really need her. And ask yourself this: How would you possibly get through the game without dowsing?

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I've loved every Zelda Companion and always thought they served their purpose. That is except for Fi....oh she did her job...but she annoyed the hell out of me in the process. I will say that Fi wasn't nearly as annoying in my second play through, but she is still by far my least favorite side kick.

As for Navi...she's not really annoying at all in my opinion. It's just fun to make Navi jokes because I believe it's become one of the many things that sort of defines Zelda fans. It's not that she's necessarily annoying, but the stereotype is that she is annoying fairy that everyone wants to kill lol.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Fi was the only one I've found annoying. Just hated always stopping and going through blocks of text.

I never really disliked the fairies or the other characters because they'd just usually do a quick sound and that's it. Very ignorable, and doesn't stop my game play.

I would have said auto-tune ghost (Fi) would have been but she just sounded so cool because she was an auto-tune ghost so I was okay with it.

I just started another save file for OoT and am annoyed with Navi because of the whole "Let's go do this" thing she does when you are off adventuring on your own. Otherwise, I really like her. I love Midna, and Fi...I actually do like her. Her ability to state the obvious is definitely patience trying, and I despise her singing and dancing. But other than that I like her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom