• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Motion Control Any Good ?

prior to SS being released,there was a lot of hype about how amazing the controls would be. my question to the community is , did the motion controls really improve your enjoyment of SS. i personally felt a bit let down by the controls. firstly they werent as responsive as i would have liked them to be and secondly i felt that were over used at points eg walking on a rope. some of the things were cool such as using the beetle but overall feel that the game could have worked just as well with a normal analogy stick system. i guess what iam saying is , i just excepted more innovation to come long with the new controls. i felt this was not the case and hence the the motion controls didnt live up to their hype. having said all this i still enjoyed the game but i feel very slightly short changed by the controls.

I'll just restate my usual train of thought in this thread. Skyward Sword's motion controls weren't perfect but they didn't need to be. Skyward Sword currently has the best motion controls of any game on the market. No doubt, the game will forever remain a hallmark for ushering in a new age of gaming. I did have a few problems with the thrust as well as bomb roll maneuvers, however, my troubles gradually diminished as I progressed further into the game.

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
I thought the motion controls were great. I loved getting to use it to solve puzzles and fight enemies. There was room for improvement, though. Sometimes I would have to re-calibrate the remote several times when I was trying to use long range weapons to aim at faraway objects, which was irritating. But using your sword was amazing. Every bokoblin would attempt to block your moves, and with the motion controls, it was like you were actually there fighting off the monsters. I was very pleased with this new form of combat, and hope to see it used in future Zelda titles.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
To answer the topic question: yes, the motion controls were definitely good! Great, even!
To answer the question in the thread: no, the motion controls didn't improve my enjoyment of Skyward Sword.

I believe the motion controls were spectacular. Of course they weren't perfect (frequently got Link's hand behind his back in an awkward fashion!), but they're definitely better than previous iterations of motion gaming that Nintendo has tried their hand at. However, with or without them, Skyward Sword wasn't a good Zelda game to me.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I'll just restate my usual train of thought in this thread. Skyward Sword's motion controls weren't perfect but they didn't need to be. Skyward Sword currently has the best motion controls of any game on the market. No doubt, the game will forever remain a hallmark for ushering in a new age of gaming. I did have a few problems with the thrust as well as bomb roll maneuvers, however, my troubles gradually diminished as I progressed further into the game.

I agree. Nintendo has lots of time to improve on the motion controls too.

MW7

They were great but a little overused IMO. The swordplay was amazing, but I really was annoyed by swimming with motion controls. Some people would say the motion controls detracted from the experience, but they are definitely a minority. Most people seem to love them. There definitely is room for improvement though but for a first attempt these controls were amazing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword's motion controls were flawless. Not perfect, but flawless. They never got off calibration unless the player(s) calibrated them improperly and only performed an inaccurate swing when the player(s) performed an inaccurate swing. They also didn't feel gimmicky at all, which is a major feat in motion controls. Not many motion-oriented games can boast this. It also opened up new options for the combat and puzzles, both of which were utilized nearly perfectly. The motion controls have been the most significant improvement to Zelda since the switch to 3D back in 1998. Going back to the old button controls in future console titles would be one of the worst decisions Nintendo, let alone any game company, could ever make. They need to be expanded on so they can be made even better, for sure, but not keeping the Wii MotionPlus in the series is simply not an option. Period.

I thought that the controls were what truly made the game. They greatly improved the game for me.

I enjoyed the 1:1 sword gameplay. I believe it was a great step forward in not only Zelda titles, but future hack-and-slash/adventure/dungeon crawling games.
The only thing I did not like about the gameplay was the stamina bar. I believe that if we had more time to swing from rope to rope, figure out the best path to climb and avoid monsters and roll, I could have progressed a little faster without as much frustration. On the other hand, sprinting was nice and probably wouldn't be in-game without stamina, as it would be too easy to run away from everything.

As far as the shield goes, it wasn't 1:1 with the nunchuck controller, which I didn't like very much, but I guess there's no "motion plus" version of it, so I know it's not the developers' fault. The things like shield-bashing did make up for this though.

So, overall, yes, they did improve my overall experience.

I think its a really good start but I would really like there to be a mode in the next game to turn it off for those who disliked it (I would be using the motion controls). I think the bad guys are a little fewer but it feels so good when your fighting them. I just LOVE it. The only thing I had a VERY slight problem with is the poking method of the sword where you jab forward. But so far I didn't really have to use it that much.

I think the controls were good. They weren't always perfect (I had some trouble trying to swing diagonally), but I don't have any problems. The motion controls weren't really annoying or gimmicky like a lot of Wii games (Raving Rabbids, Wii Music, Wii Play, ect).

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
The motion controls were almost perfectly executed. ALMOST. Nintendo assumed that everybody would be so inept at motion (due to the lack of decent motion-based games, thanks Nintendo!) that they oversimplified the sword controls. Contrary to popular belief, the motion was not 1:1 at all. I could get through the game just by flicking my wrist. They should have had true 1:1 like in the swordplay game on Wii Sports Resort, and just made the vulnerable areas for enemies slightly greater to allow for a margin of error. It would also have simplified the stab attack (technically a "thrust" but who cares?), solving many complaints about the motion. If I can sit in a reclining position and still beat SS with no more than wrist flicks, the motion needs to be more precise.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The motion controls were almost perfectly executed. ALMOST. Nintendo assumed that everybody would be so inept at motion (due to the lack of decent motion-based games, thanks Nintendo!) that they oversimplified the sword controls. Contrary to popular belief, the motion was not 1:1 at all. I could get through the game just by flicking my wrist. They should have had true 1:1 like in the swordplay game on Wii Sports Resort, and just made the vulnerable areas for enemies slightly greater to allow for a margin of error. It would also have simplified the stab attack (technically a "thrust" but who cares?), solving many complaints about the motion. If I can sit in a reclining position and still beat SS with no more than wrist flicks, the motion needs to be more precise.

The masses aren't good at motion controls, though. You gotta ease in to it, otherwise people are going to complain about it being too hard. Too many people have complained that SS's controls were unintuitive as is. Doing complete 1:1 would have caused... really bad complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom