• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Flat An Iron Knuckle?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Whats behind the mask is not the point. You were never meant to see it so it doesn't matter. The chest is off a gerudo in both versions though.

Not really. If all the Iron Knuckles are Gerudo its obvious Flat wasn't one. Or do we have to continue this argument now about ghosts having a gender? That sure sounds better!

Actually gonna chip in on this bit. Both flat and sharp are male as confirmed by them stating they are brothers.

Ninja

Well well well
A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Please stay on topic and refrain from making any posts that may consist of baiting or bickering.

This thread will remain open for now as long as there is room for more conversation and friendly debate. Gracias!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have to add something here: This topic was created like 6 months ago so it's not like it's super old or something. I could've understand if it was older than a year. But a topic created 6 months ago can still be relevant. In this case the creator asked a question which is still relevant today. With this said we listen to master Ninja and move on ;)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It's an interesting assumption and not wholly unwarranted.

Iron Knuckles are based on Golems, which are attributed to Jewish mythology but variations on the concept are found in cultures all over the world. The concept is of inanimate humanoid objects like statues or suits of armor being animated by magic. So basically fantasy robots.

Sometimes in the stories these automatons are animated by spirits, either natural spirits (demons and the like) or the souls of dead people. The Iron Knuckle of OoT takes the idea of spiritual possession driving the constructs and mixes it with brain washing with literal bodies being used to pilot a sort of exosuit. It's just that the unfortunate pilot doesn't have control over her actions.

So given that spiritual possession is a reoccurring concept in these stories, the notion that Flat's spirit was trapped in the Iron Knuckle and possessing it is a fair one, at least conceptually.

Perhaps it could be a reverse Spirit Tracks situation were, unlike Zelda who willing took possession of the armor, Flat may have been forced into the armor by Skull Kid, his brother, or even the Garo.

In Majora's Mask, in Order to get the Song of Storms, you go o Ikana Graveyard, get the Commander Mask (Or whatever it's called), and go down to a grave, where you kill an Iron Knuckle.

As soon as the Iron Knuckle is Defeated, Flat, the "good" composer brother appears from behind a curtain, and says: "My soul is at peace", or something like that.

Now, my thinking behind why I think Flat could possibly have been an Iron Knuckle, is because he conveniently appeared as a spirit RIGHT after we "healed" the Iron Knuckle. I believe that the grave WAS Flat's grave, and Sharp turned Flat into a Iron Knuckle inside his own grave, making Flat very angry at Sharp for doing that to him.

What do you think about this theory? Anyone have anything to help my case, or any constructive criticism?

I'm thinking he isn't. When you defeat the Iron Knuckle, a barrier of sorts raises up which prompts Flat to appear there, not where you slay the Iron Knuckle. The position of course isn't conclusive evidence, he does say he was locked there by his brother. I believe it is during his time of being locked away that Flat composes the Song of Storms to cure his brother. I don't think that he could compose if he were transformed into an Iron Knuckle.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I personally think they're like some kind of golem or something. I mean, they never attack on sight or anything like that, they just sit and guard stuff. On page 38 of the manual for Adventure of Link (I know, they're different in Majora's Mask), it says they're "An iron warrior chosen by the king). Iron warrior, not warrior in iron armor. Besides Nabooru, we never see anyone inside the armor (unless you clip the camera through the armor and see the recycled Nabooru model inside). I think that iron knuckles are wholly made of iron, and were built under the orders of a king, possibly a previous king of Gerudo, and were 'programmed' to guard something.

In Jewish folklore, golems aren't generally controlled by a spirit/ghost/human, but instead a writing, generally in their mouth, forehead, or around their neck. It's possible that the "devil" that Flat had made a deal with was looking into creating golems he could control better, like how the twinrova brainwashed Nabooru and placed her inside an iron knuckle (the only one that attacks you on sight, a result of being controlled by a human mind, imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom