• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Was 'Breath of the Wild' a fitting title?

Zelda games are usually named after an important item or character but Breath of the Wild was a bit different.

The title was more descriptive of the game itself rather than highlighting a character or item but did it fit for you?

Did you feel the breath of the wild?

When playing the game did you feel as if Breath of the Wild was an apt and fitting title?

Or did the game feel dead to you and the title misleading and pretentious?

I think it could not have been better. Name fits perfectly with the theme of the game. But it also highlights many things in the game in a subtle fashion. For instance the most obvious ones that are referred in the title are the world itself, silent princess, Zelda and Link. I like that the name includes symbolism and is not strictly referring to a specific item or character.
And as Azure Sage said focus was on the world. And on exploration of it.
Did i feel a breath of the wild? Definitely yes. Playing the game was a great adventure. I felt I was in a wild and dangerous nature alone without any idea who I was and where I came from. Especially entering in the temple of time was fine moment. I was expecting that something big would happen there but no. There was nothing but ruins and monsters. It was different experience than I usually get from video games. I was amazed how small and subtle things in the game were actually much better solution than if the game would have been full of things and action.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not really. It feels too pretentious and serious...frankly, for how simple the story and setting are, a lot of the game feels this way.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it is appropriate. Breath of the Wild is a wishy washy title for a wishy washy game. It doesn't really have any major significance just like most of what you do in the game. There is wild and you spend most of your time out of breath in it because of your annoying stamina meter.

If I had synesthesia I am sure the word "breath" being in the title would make it more obnoxious than it already is. Tbh, I don't like the title at all; it's not particularly catchy or anything, and I could only laugh at its stupidity when they unveiled it as the name of the game. Who unironically uses the word breath in a serious context for a title? I mean, I'm sure Link had a serious case of morning breath when he woke from the Shrine of Resurrection, and has to explore wilds... sure, let's call it fitting.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not a huge fan of the title to be honest, it feels kind of misnomery, theres not really anything wild in the "wilderness" the only times animals endanger link is when link pisses em off, even the bears ignore link for the most part. and to say breath of the wild really means "breath of fresh air" in the rather stagnent series. But honestly no.....it wasn't it used mechanics such as durability implemented in other games (ditto stamina) in some ways it was brand new but it stopped being a breath of fresh air after the 4th shrine.....

In my head ”wild” in the title translates as nature which is not necessarily dangerous or hostile. Rather beautiful and calm.

I find the title to be very fitting, especially because the huge wilderness that you can explore. It is also the thing that stands out from all other Zelda games. Although it does lack any connection to the story line by not mentioning the shrines/trials, Devine beasts and the guardians for example.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
In my head ”wild” in the title translates as nature which is not necessarily dangerous or hostile. Rather beautiful and calm.

No. Nature can be beautiful, but it is not calm. It is survival of the fittest. Nature is cold and uncaring. It isn't concerned for your well being and will happily kill you. It isn't your friend, indeed the wild is man's most ancient enemy and what our ancestors fought against to survive.

You should visit where I live. It’s mostly calm and quiet here.
Because of nature humankind exists. We wouldn’t survive without it. Don’t see it as an enemy.
Nature will not happily kill you, it cannot feel happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom