• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Warrior Tips/Guides/Strategies

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
There's a lot of this sort of discussion going on in the Adventure Mode thread and I think it deserves its own (if not one for each warrior). Post your tips for using certain warriors/weapons here.

W = Weak Attack (Y for Warriors controls, B for Zelda controls)
S = Strong Attack (X for Warriors Controls, Y for Zelda controls)
D = Dodge (B for Warriors Controls, A for Zelda controls)

I'll start with Lana.

OP Book of Sorcery combo: WWWSSSDS - Summon the three barriers and push them back, then immediately dodge-cancel and kick them. You get the benefits of both pushing and kicking. Pushing gathers more enemies (and does some damage), then kicking kills them all. This is far superior AOE-wise to her Special.

Because of the above, the Book of Sorcery's Special Attack is only useful when you need it immediately, such as when buffering a giant boss's weakpoint gauge. I also sometimes use it against commanders, since it does deal a lot of damage if you can manage to line it up to hit them with 4-6 of the barriers' explosions. It does not affect a wide area, so don't use it for clearing mobs.

In general, dodge-cancel everything. Besides the combo above, it's also very noticeable in the WWSSSDS combo. Plus it's cute hearing Lana say "hey" all the time.

I'll also plug my Volga infinite combo: DSWSWS... keeps them in the air and does a fair amount of damage over time. Finish with a full weak attack combo. This combo also works with Impa's Naginata (minus the initial DS), though not quite as well.

Lana's Portal:
Just spam strong attack. You can press it a few times as a combo to make it stronger but that's optional. What monster you get does not matter. That's one of the very few ways to get her Lv3 Portal weapon.
Only use the basic weak attack to hit a weak point gauge fast. Past that her weak combo is terrible. The X special is rather good as well for removing large numbers of hordes.
Not the best weapon ever but it usable with a little effort.

Agitha:
Use her Rhino beetle combo. WWS I believe it is. It works wonders with packs and champions all at the same time. You have to set it up though. As is use the combo a little distance from the enemies and lead them into the area of effect. It works pretty well vs enemy heroes too.
Her WS combo for the butterflies is nice for captains as well. And it's decent damage vs giant bosses as well.
The Strong attack (no combo) looks good in theory. You can cancel it with strong attack to band the huge butterfly and do nice damage vs a lot of hordes. But you just take way too much damage while using it. Good to use for fun but for A Rank runs, forget about it.
Her X combo is very nice in a pinch too. If things get a little close for comfort you use this.
Note well, don't use the weak combo, it's terrible.

Link's Power Gauntlets:
One of my favourite weapons. This is the weapon I use for the Lv99 Network Links as it's strong vs the Lizfols and Dinfols.
For killing hordes, it's just best to stick to your weak combo and spam it. It works really well. Sometimes you'll only want the first 2 shots of the combo, wait a second to reset the combo and repeat and other times you'll want all of the combo shots.
For captains or anything with a health meter that is not a giant boss you have 2 options.
Option 1: Use the WWSSS combo. This combo makes Link power up the gauntlets and punch the enemy. It does a good amount of damage. And is easy to spam.
Option 2: WW, dodge, WW dodge, repeat for ever. Basically this is just targeting the enemy and dodging to it's backside and getting off 2 shots before it blocks then repeating the process over and over. This way to kill captains and enemy heroes works for almost any weapon. But it's pretty good with this weapon.
For giant bosses: The WWSSS combo works well. That's the one I use.
Note well: The WWWSSS combo looks cool, throwing the Ocarina pillar around, but it does not do all that much damage. it's much faster to just weak combo the hordes dead.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Lana's Portal:
Just spam strong attack. You can press it a few times as a combo to make it stronger but that's optional.
didn't know that, I'll have to try it sometime.

Agitha:
Use her Rhino beetle combo.
I've been trying to figure out if this still works off-screen. Sometimes I feel like if I summon it and turn around (which I usually do in order to summon several at once), I turn back around to find that the enemies are still there. I might be imagining it though.

Sometimes you'll only want the first 2 shots of the combo, wait a second to reset the combo and repeat
Dodge-cancel to reset the combo.

didn't know that, I'll have to try it sometime.
I would not do this always though cause it leaves you exposed to damage a little. You'll know when to press it one and when to press it a few times.
I've been trying to figure out if this still works off-screen. Sometimes I feel like if I summon it and turn around (which I usually do in order to summon several at once), I turn back around to find that the enemies are still there. I might be imagining it though.
I think it works off screen. As I often dropped the beetle summoning circle then ran away in Agitha's Lv3 stage and it seems to have damage done to it. You do have to lead the enemies into the summoning circle though. and not just spam it when they are right in your face as you run away as they'll walk past the summoning circle. I usually summon it when they are a a touch away from me so when they get right next to me they are in the circle and are hit by the beetle.

Dodge-cancel to reset the combo.
Very true, I do that a lot as well but I didn't think it was a thing. Good you said this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Strats for Link w/Master Sword:
- keep full health
- minor minor major
- rinse and repeat

The three sword beams are basically Link's best wave clear, great for farming KOs and easy way to take down keeps. Be careful though, when Link launches his beams his model moves forward a bit which can hit you right into a projectile, losing your health. It's absolutely crucial to maintain full health with the MS otherwise the move itself is nearly useless.

- keep full health
- minor minor major
- rinse and repeat

The three sword beams are basically Link's best wave clear, great for farming KOs and easy way to take down keeps. Be careful though, when Link launches his beams his model moves forward a bit which can hit you right into a projectile, losing your health. It's absolutely crucial to maintain full health with the MS otherwise the move itself is nearly useless.
This is needed to A-Rank some stages. And this makes armour badges and heart pieces totally worthless as you have to be at full health for most or all of the battle.

The one pet hate I hate I have of the game is that armour badges (stages without favoured elements) and heart pieces don't help you at all. They only exist for those competitionists who like collecting everything in games.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Agitha:
Use her Rhino beetle combo. WWS I believe it is. It works wonders with packs and champions all at the same time. You have to set it up though. As is use the combo a little distance from the enemies and lead them into the area of effect. It works pretty well vs enemy heroes too.
Her WS combo for the butterflies is nice for captains as well. And it's decent damage vs giant bosses as well.
The Strong attack (no combo) looks good in theory. You can cancel it with strong attack to band the huge butterfly and do nice damage vs a lot of hordes. But you just take way too much damage while using it. Good to use for fun but for A Rank runs, forget about it.
Her X combo is very nice in a pinch too. If things get a little close for comfort you use this.

Agitha's X attack fits in well at the end of most of her combos specifically the tornado. At least this is what it feels like to me. ( I forget what string it is but you hit x twice once for the tornado and once for the butterfly. Then you when the butterfly's meter fills you press x again. The tornado takes care of enemeies that are to close to you to use her standard x.

Tobi

Some dork
- keep full health
- minor minor major
- rinse and repeat

This works amazingly, but WWS is the skyward strike I believe. WS is the three sword beams. I like using both of them though as well as holding down S afterwards to do a nice spin attack. Link is pretty OP.

Skull Kid:
WWWS and WWS are pretty powerful in groups because you can rotate while using the multiple balls or the singular beam. The balls are great for singular weak point gauge damage, it tears down through bosses like butter, needing about 2 max combos from my experience. The laser also works well for captains, they do a great amount of damage for a single laser. Might be hard to aim though. His special attack works great on just about anything, aiming it might be a little tricky.

Link (Great Fairy):
Link is pretty OP with the Master Sword, but not much less with the Great Fairy since you easily take out groups of mobs and are invulnerable while using any combos followed with a strong attack. WS and WWS I don't like as much but WWWS is amazing and the others are pretty good too. The special attack sometimes visually glitches in some maps though and the attacks have a long animation.

Ganondorf:
Honestly, just make combos left and right and charge up your gauge. In the first mission on level 1 I found myself fully charging it and one-shotting Aeralfos and similar creatures. Ganondorf is really OP. WS is pretty weak against groups and I find myself using it mostly against anything named because it knocks back enemies then stays within close range to keep attacking. WWWWWS is my personal favorite, since it wipes out pretty much everything around you. WWWS is a good one too, getting a lot of close enemies around you and charging your gauge meter to about half instantly. It takes a while before the attacks starts so be careful. Also, his special attack seems to sometimes bug out for me. Not only do mobs despawn from it, stronger opponents seem to be able to teleport out of the stun to stand right behind or besides Ganondorf and avoid the attack. It happens a little too often.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
[QUOTE="the8thark, post: 914365, member: 73872"

Agitha:
/QUOTE]

I use Agitha fairly often and this is basically what I do. That beetle is the key, (WWS). It's weird when you're learning it, but once you have the timing down, it'll smash through an entire weak point gauge in one hit. Plus her weak point smash is one of the game's best.

Shiek:

Learn the ins and outs of Shiek's Strong Attack. Essentially, each combo imbues the harp with an element that can be used by Shiek's Strong Attack for crazy effects. Shiek is really good without using these, but with them, Shiek is propelled up to the Highest Tier of characters.

Water: creates a heart-absorbing shield, super incredibly useful
Fire: forms a summoning circle and, after a few seconds, a pillar of fire that hits like a Weak Point Smash. HGreat for captains and giant bosses both.
Lightning: surrounds you with a cloud of damaging electricity that vanishes after a while, of limited usefulness
Darkness: forms a vortex of shadow that sucks in mooks to damage them for a while. Of limited usefulness
Light: creates a shining triangle that will fill your Special Guage for as long as you stand in it

Ghirahim:

Ghirahim has arguably the best 1-v-1 game on the roster, and it's all thanks to his easily missed Strong Attack. I played him for weeks without paying it much attention. It locks onto opponents and then shoots weak little daggers at them- boring! What I hadn't realized was that locking onto an opponent changes his combos.

If you lock onto an opponent and then combo, you will ALWAYS hit them with a really strong guard-breaking giant-honking-Demise-sword. Combo 1 uses it to knock them to you, making it great for a "come hither," Combo 2 freezes them and then slams them with the aforementioned giant honking Demise sword, and Combo 3 just straight up wollops them with the GHDS. It's great. Captains crumble under Ghirahim's lockon, which btw can all be done from a distance, so you don't even have to get close to that stupid Icy Big Poe to smash it, and giant bosses don't fare much better. To add insult to injury, you can finish them off by spamming Strong-Dodge-Strong-Dodge to just keep shooting daggers and skipping Ghirahim's ending dance.

Two skills I highly recommend with Ghirahim are Hasty Attacks and Strong Attack. The great thing about Hasty Attacks is it lets you get in more powered up combos before the lock on expires. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference. As for the Strong Attack, well, you can shoot daggers off really fast if you get good at dodging right after. Powered up daggers will shred through giant boss WPGs, and it's really fun to kill annoying captains or elite mooks with nothing but daggers from a dozen feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom