• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

War of the Operating Systems

Choose an operating System you like

• Windows Xp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Windows 7

• Fedora

• Ubuntu

• Open Suse

• Mac OS X

• Apple

• Total voters

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
I always wanted a mac cause it designed nice... But the truth is that my windows XP is just fine, I never really bought a computer, there's a guy who works with my father and he does things with computers and he's always give us computers that he "improved", they're faster and got more space than the usual. I got friends who got windows 7 and vista and my computer's still working the best. The problem is that some new games starting to be too sophisticated for my computer, like Assassin's Creed and few others.

Kazumi

chagy
My favourite would definitely be Ubuntu. For general purpose such as word processing, internet browsing and other utilities it's far better then any version of Windows or OS X. It's very smooth and fast. It's also very customizable and most of the time entirely open source. Not to mention the fact that it made my eight year old laptop actually useful.

But of course, when it comes to gaming Windows 7/XP wins, simply because of the massive install base. I'm excited that Steam will be released for major Linux distributions in the near future, as that will definitely help. You can also run many of my favourite games such as Civilization IV via Wine, which helps as well.

I really don't like OS X, but that comes with me not liking Apple's business model as a whole. Their products are very expensive yet very limited. They want you to only buy Apple music, Apple video, Apple software, Apple accessories and the like. They also limit you in terms of power, where as PCs are on the cutting edge of computer technology, Macs are always suspiciously behind, yet still twice as much as a powerful PC...

Kybyrian

I've only use three of the operating systems on this poll. I'm currently using Windows 7, and I have to say it's the best out of those three. I used Windows XP to start out with, and I just hated the way it looked. It was good, I suppose, but the looks was what mainly turned me away. Then I got a new computer and it had Windows Vista. Words cannot express my hate for Windows Vista. I'm just absolutely serious. It had so many problems I wanted to smash every computer that had it multiple times. Then I got this new computer, and it has Windows 7. So far I have had no problems with Windows 7 and it looks magnificent. Gotta go with it.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Although I don't own a Mac, my school does. Macs easily outdo the Windows Vista, but I'm not so sure about the Windows 7.
I think people confuse an OS with a computer. If a computer is faster it will start up faster, run programs faster, generally just work better.

Another thing, I never had issues with Vista. Not more than I did with XP or Mac OS.

Also if anyone knows where I can read up on Linux so I can dual boot my computer, it'd be cool if you could link us some info.

TheGreen said:
Also if anyone knows where I can read up on Linux so I can dual boot my computer, it'd be cool if you could link us some info.

Installing Linux isn't too difficult, especially Ubuntu/Mint. Just torrent the iso of the distribution you want, (Ubuntu, Mint, Slackware, etc.) and burn it to a CD and set your BIOS to boot CD-ROM on startup instead of your hard drive.

Ubuntu Installation Guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation (works for most Debian derivatives)

Dual Booting: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114157

If you choose Ubuntu, you have the option of installing inside Windows as well (If you want to dual boot, format your HDD and install Windows, then Linux, otherwise the Windows bootloader will overwrite GRUB (the bootloader Linux uses). You can install it vice-versa, but it's a lot less hassle to install Windows before Linux.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm going to have to go with Windows Vista. I've never used 7, so I don't know what that's like, but I have no issues with Vista at all. I've never been a fan of Macs as I find them far too confusing to use and they can't support half the things I have for my computer. And I've used some form of Linux before, and I liked that even less. I didn't know how to get onto the internet, sign out, or anything. Windows has never steered me wrong, so they are definitely number one for me.

I really like Windows 7 after Vista offered me nothing but problems. I don't like Apple's operating systems because they claim to be virus proof and crash proof. That is a lie, viruses can be written for Macs and they can crash like all other computers. You can keep yourself from getting a virus on Windows by not being stupid and not clicking on every add you see.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
You should be able to choose more than one...

I would like to do that. But i have a reason why i did not more than one, because if i did a multiple votes my poll survey will be useless and their reason won't be concise in a specific operating system.

However if the poser's like to choose more than one, then he/she must emphasize the second option. Although the poser wont be able to vote anymore at-least he/she post a comment regarding to the second option.

I had a laptop with XP and everything was good and all then suddently the Wifi stops working, I sent it back to dell to get it fixed and they sent it back claiming that they fixed it and it was still having the problem.

I sent it back and they sent me a refurbished Inspiron 1521 with 2gb ram, AMD 64 processor (point is, it is better than the one i bought), it came with Windows Vista basic, it was great for the first weeks then vista started crapping on me with the slowness and the white screens to the point to where it permanently toasted my hard drive (probably a virus) so I ended up buying a new HDD and installed Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and i love it! no problems!

Ubuntu gets the vote from me because its open source, and its not microsoft. (I use windows because of games and programs)

OMG I hate the Mac OS sooo much.
And I hate Windows :P

I actually work on both, since at home I have a Mac and at work I use a PC, so I have basis for my claims.

Neither system is perfect (Whoever said Macs don't get a "blue screen of death" is lying), but it feels like home when I sit down to my trusty old Mac :)

Sstorm

Some Legends Never Die...
I switched to OSX almost 5 years ago now from using XP and I have never looked back, I love the way it runs and how it feels. The only drawback is the limited amount of games/programs available for it but that is slowly becoming less and less of an issue. I can't see my self switching back to a Windows machine in the near future unless it is just a gaming rig.

C

Cartoons

OS X is just FreeBSD with a few more bells and whistles. Seriously, stop letting it fool you that it's something special. Just like any other non-free OS, the ideas (and actual code for OS X) are most often taken from an Open Source project. That being said, I won't say they're bad, I just won't use them. Debian based is my way to go. Tried Fedora and SUSE and many others, but I will stick to what works for me.

Also, Vista is better than 7 simply because of the GUI change they made makes me want to hurl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom